• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How many from southern New Mexico

I live no where near southern New Mexico, as you can see over there

/
   /
|_

But I do come down to Deming every Veterans Day weekend for Don Cameron's BBQ! Worth every mile of the drive.

I also see you are a slow racer! :dance

Mike

Surprised the heck outta me to learn that!

Next year they ought to do that with pocket bikes. Actually, I think it was more photogenic when they were pitching toilet seats a la horseshoes. :)

I must be missing something!!

Hey, guys. I've been reading all this good buzz about Las Cruces. I guess I have not found the town's sweet spot! My parents moved to LC from Santa Rosa, CA to retire 6 years ago. Everytime I've gone done to visit I get bored quickly. I've always have driven down (usually bringing stuff or picking up stuff). But I want to ride down this year to visit the folks and do some local riding. Possibly I can connect up with some of you....Mike...you live in LC....you can show me the good stuff. Thanks! :thumb

Hey, guys. I've been reading all this good buzz about Las Cruces. I guess I have not found the town's sweet spot! My parents moved to LC from Santa Rosa, CA to retire 6 years ago. Everytime I've gone done to visit I get bored quickly. I've always have driven down (usually bringing stuff or picking up stuff). But I want to ride down this year to visit the folks and do some local riding. Possibly I can connect up with some of you....Mike...you live in LC....you can show me the good stuff. Thanks! :thumb

I do not know how much free time I would have but can certainly tell you some scenic roads to take and converse.
PM me when you are coming.
Thanks , Mike

Do be careful, even out in the sticks. Last fall while returning from a trip to the Texas coast, my friend and I got tagged on US-180 a bit south of Cliff. Admittedly we were over the limit, but in TX that road would have had a 75 mph limit but it was only 60 in NM.

(Eventually we both paid the equivalent of the fine but got a deferred sentence -- a very reasonable outcome.)

US-180 is otherwise a nice road and NM-78 is really nice! (Pardon me for saying so, but US-191 on the other side of the AZ border is fantastic!)

You might also enjoy US-82 from Cloudcroft to Alamogordo.

US-180 is otherwise a nice road and NM-78 is really nice! (Pardon me for saying so, but US-191 on the other side of the AZ border is fantastic!)

Yes, US-191 (formerly AZ-666, aka Devil's Highway) is fantastic, I have ridden on it up and down several times over the years.

Here's a quick synopsis.

Four things to do in Las Cruces:

1. My Brother's Place - Green Enchiladas (with New Mexico green chile)

2. Spanish Kitchen - Red Enchiladas, Green Chile Stew, blazing hot salsa

3. Nopalitos - Gorditas, very flavorful salsa - not as hot as at the Spanish Kitchen

4. Old Mesilla - Restaurants, shops, bars, etc. for the tourists. Good food, but not as hot as the locals (and ex-locals like me) enjoy. Many years ago, I was the Town Marshal of Mesilla and later a police officer (SWAT team member and Academy instructor) with the Las Cruces P.D. La Posta is the most popular place to eat in Mesilla - great atmosphere and good food for the tourists (locals eat there too).

Good Stuff in Las Cruces

Professor...thanks for the tips on good eating spots. I got tired of going to Si Senor's! My parents, who live in LC, are not too adventurous....Si Senors was just easy for them..and I don't know the town all that well. I'll be certain to get them out to some of the spots you mentioned next time I'm in town.

And Mike, I looked at your railroad website...very cool. I had an old Lionel set as a kid...even the locomotive was made of metal...not plastic! However, I've forgotten...is the "N" gauge same as the old Lionel model trains?

Jeff

Jeff,

Of the four I mentioned, I think La Posta in Mesilla would be best for your parents.

For riding: If you will be coming to LC through Deming (about 60 miles west of LC on I-10) you can turn North there to Silver City (about another 50-60 miles). From Silver City, head towards the Gila Cliff Dwellings and the Gila Wilderness in the Black Range. I'ts only 35 miles from Silver City to the dwellings, but it will take at least an hour - really great roads with wonderful views.

Heading East from LC there is Ruidoso, Capitan, Cloudcroft, and other mountain towns to visit depending on what route you take. The roads are fairly flat and straight right around LC, but you don't have to go too far to get to some mountains.

Also, El Paso has a nice road around Mount Franklin (Trans-Mountain something) and you are not terribly far from the Davis mountains. Check out some of these places on a map and see if any of it will work for you.

Billy the Kid was once in Jail in Mesilla (and in Capitan). The Mescalero Apache once ruled the mountain country around Ruidoso. Pat Garrett was the Sheriff of Dona Ana County, so lots of interesting history around there.

And Mike, I looked at your railroad website...very cool. I had an old Lionel set as a kid...even the locomotive was made of metal...not plastic! However, I've forgotten...is the "N" gauge same as the old Lionel model trains?

Jeff
Jeff N Scale is 1/160th and O Scale is 1/32nd. N is second smallest common scale and O was the size of the Lionel and G is large scale normally run outside.
Thanks for the comments!
Mike

Ahhh Southern New Mexico

Well, I don't live in S. NM but OKC, OK. Me and my ridin' buddies travel out the black ribbon (I-40) to Santa Rosa, NM and then head South to Alamogordo and up the hill to the City in the Clouds - Cloudcroft, where we visit our friend Matt at his High Altitude store and the folks at the Western Bar and the Mountain Top Mercantile! What a cool little town! We always...well unless there's a big burn ban on, camp in Bailey Canyon about 2 miles from Cloudcroft. Now talk about some awesome riding! Up to Sun Spot down around thru Weed for a cup of coffee! Man! When the weather is nice - you just about can't beat it! :dance

Well, I don't live in S. NM but OKC, OK. Me and my ridin' buddies travel out the black ribbon (I-40) to Santa Rosa, NM and then head South to Alamogordo and up the hill to the City in the Clouds - Cloudcroft, where we visit our friend Matt at his High Altitude store and the folks at the Western Bar and the Mountain Top Mercantile! What a cool little town! We always...well unless there's a big burn ban on, camp in Bailey Canyon about 2 miles from Cloudcroft. Now talk about some awesome riding! Up to Sun Spot down around thru Weed for a cup of coffee! Man! When the weather is nice - you just about can't beat it! :dance

You have the perfect route.
Mike

When I was a kid, we had a cabin in the mountains near Cloudcroft. It was just basic shelter with no electricity or running water, but it was well built. We had a wood-burning stove for heat and cooking, a wind-up Victrola record player that had belonged to my dad's grandmother and some rustic, but comfortable furniture.

We would spend a week or so up there two or three times each spring and summer. Every weekend we were there, we would go to Weed to an old-fashioned country barn dance.

Unfortunately when we arrived one spring, we discovered that someone had broken in, stolen the old Victrola and a few other items and had done some minor vandalizing. My dad sold the cabin and we never went back. I was very sad and disappointed. When older, I traveled to Weed and Cloudcroft several more times.

On the way from Roswell to Cloudcroft you come to a town called Mayhill at the foot of the mountains. With some of the cars I owned in my early years I always joked that the town was named Mayhill because when you got there, MAYbe you could make it up the HILL.

Then I bought an Austin-Healey 3000, but that's another story. :D

Back