• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What are you listening to today?

(from the New York Times)
Graeme Edge, the drummer and co-founder of the British band the Moody Blues, for whom he wrote many of the spoken-word poems that, appended to songs like “Nights in White Satin,” helped make the group a pioneer in the progressive rock movement of the 1960s and ’70s, died on Thursday [Nov.11] at his home in Bradenton, Fla. He was 80.

Rilla Fleming, his partner, said the cause was metastatic cancer.

The Moody Blues first gained attention as part of the British Invasion that dominated the American rock scene in the mid-1960s. Their repertoire originally consisted largely of R&B covers, but by their second album, “Days of Future Passed” (1967), they had developed the blend of orchestral and rock music that would make them famous.

“In the late 1960s we became the group that Graeme always wanted it to be, and he was called upon to be a poet as well as a drummer,” Justin Hayward, the band’s lead singer, wrote in a statement on the Moody Blues website after Mr. Edge’s death. “He delivered that beautifully and brilliantly, while creating an atmosphere and setting that the music would never have achieved without his words.”

Sad news...What a different sound I was introduced to in a smoky beer filled Rambler one rainy winter night listening to my first eight-track equipped car with older brothers buds friends in late '67 or '68. Their music was always in my playlists from that point on. Kinda laughing thinking I was only ten or eleven at that time :groovy
Same guys introduced me to motorcycles as well soon after :thumb

(from the New York Times)
Graeme Edge, the drummer and co-founder of the British band the Moody Blues, for whom he wrote many of the spoken-word poems that, appended to songs like “Nights in White Satin,” helped make the group a pioneer in the progressive rock movement of the 1960s and ’70s, died on Thursday [Nov.11] at his home in Bradenton, Fla. He was 80.

Rilla Fleming, his partner, said the cause was metastatic cancer.

The Moody Blues first gained attention as part of the British Invasion that dominated the American rock scene in the mid-1960s. Their repertoire originally consisted largely of R&B covers, but by their second album, “Days of Future Passed” (1967), they had developed the blend of orchestral and rock music that would make them famous.

“In the late 1960s we became the group that Graeme always wanted it to be, and he was called upon to be a poet as well as a drummer,” Justin Hayward, the band’s lead singer, wrote in a statement on the Moody Blues website after Mr. Edge’s death. “He delivered that beautifully and brilliantly, while creating an atmosphere and setting that the music would never have achieved without his words.”

Very sad news indeed. I actually met Graeme at a hotel bar in Cincinnati a long time ago. Unusually, I was with some friends at a swanky hotel bar having a good single malt and a few people with Brit accents sat down and we all just started talking.
Because of the context (would you really expect to meet the Moody Blues in Cincinnati?) it took me a bit to figure out and finally ask. Really, really a nice guy.

Just heard about this pairing...a couple of my favorite voices/groups Robert Plant and Alison Krauss:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U-sPS9y7y5c" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

More Silk Sonic. Oh, man, that's some nice, nice R&B in a groove we haven't had since the mid 70s. Delicious.

Dead at 74.

A classic-

OM

I read a funny quote from him today. His first concert tour was with Cheap Trick and the headline at the venue said "Cheap Trick with Meat Loaf". His comment was "Great, people are coming to the Cheap Trick concert thinking they're getting dinner". :laugh

<iframe width="1164" height="645" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kylKj0ARB5A" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Happy Times.

Back