• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gear position indicator wrong 2005 R1200GS

M

mjuskiw

Really curious if this has happenned to anyone else.

For a few 100 miles last week my 05 GS was showing the wrong gear.
When in first I would see the green N ect.
It ran normally acted right just showed one gear off.
All the normal neutral functions worked in second
could never get it to show first

Got it to top gear and the problem went away for a bit then came back when I downshifted.

Washed the bike and havent seen the same thing since. I didnt see anything stuck in the linkage ect.

Im not an indicator light dependant type of guy so this was a minor annoyance and it has gone away. When I realized I was moving with the green N on my biggest concern was how many things are linked to this idiot light : but it seems nothing was as it ran fine just showed the wrong gear.

My GS has personality and quirks, I wouldnt want it any other way. Im just wondering if this is something that I should look into harder this winter ? Or if it happens again what should I look for.

Thanks in advance

M Juskiw
Akron Oh

Judging by the lack of response, it dosn't seem to be a very common problem. That being said, when my RT was new, I would have the problem of 4th and 5th gear indicater not show up at all, just a blank. It seemed to happen when it was cold, like less than 40 F. The dealer said that expect some quirks in the first 1000 miles. So far after 11000 miles in only happened one more time and that was last week on a 32 F day, and it was after a lazy upshift from 4th to 5th.
The fact that your problem went away after washing your bike makes it seem that it might be an electrical problem, like a loose connection. I would check all your conectors to make sure they are tight.

I do not know if the GS is the same as the RT but whenever I ride in the rain my gear indicator is messed up like that until it dries. The gear indicator switch is at the back of the transmission. Someday when I have the swing arm off I will fix it.

Thanks guys Ill check all that over the winter.

Mjuskiw
Akron Oh

Well,this subject has been discussed widely just not on this particular site.
I've even experienced this problem and cure. Most likely caused from pressure washing the bike and even riding in the rain.
Moisture/water or whatever can get inside the plug back by the trans and mess things up. Either you wait till it dries out or take apart the plug yourself and dry.
Next fill the plug up with dielectric grease to seal out any contaminants. Has cured mine and several others of this "confused gear selection" issue.
Hopefully it will work for you.

I have had this problem twice on my 05 R1200GS. First time the dealer fixed it by hooking it up to the computer. 2nd time about a year later, they had to replace the potentiometer.

Well its a GS so it doesnt need washed much ;) But it has been in the rain.
ill definately chek it dry it out and seal it.

Thanks for the replies

Mjuskiw

Well,this subject has been discussed widely just not on this particular site.
I've even experienced this problem and cure. Most likely caused from pressure washing the bike and even riding in the rain.
Moisture/water or whatever can get inside the plug back by the trans and mess things up. Either you wait till it dries out or take apart the plug yourself and dry.
Next fill the plug up with dielectric grease to seal out any contaminants. Has cured mine and several others of this "confused gear selection" issue.
Hopefully it will work for you.

Rich is on the money. I'll add that you need to get a very positive insert of the plug. I actually used a soft hammer and a wooden dowel to get the plug to seat properly. Don't be TOO aggressive....

Bump

Had a guy email me yesterday with an indicator issue on his 06 RT. His works fine until it gets warm, then the Neutral position does not display...the others do:dunno

I am thinking it's the tranny switch as well...any recent experiences?

Told him to pull & clean as mentioned here. It is a daily rider but it hasn't been rainy as of late and I didn't ask about pressure washing as it seems to happen daily when warmed up.

I had the same issue on a trip coming back from California in November. Called Henzilla and he suggested it was the tranny switch. There was no moisture from rain or washing the bike. It actually cleared itself and hasn't happened since.

It is a digital switch, using three contacts in various combinations. Usually when it shows the wrong gear moisture is causing a short between two of the wires causing the false digital combination of ons and offs. One bad contact inside the switch can also cause the problem but that seldom cures itself.

Last edited:
It is a digital switch, using three contacts in various combinations. Usually when it shows the wrong gear moisture is causing a short between two of the wires causing the false digital combination of ons and offs. One bad contact inside the switch can also cause the problem but that seldom cures itself.

I'll pass the info on, he's not a member . Just strange it's only the neutral position afer running some miles.

Back