• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for some tire recommendations for you seasoned riders out there.

1024JLC

I recently traded by 02 R1150RS in on a 04 R1150RT, which was fitted with Z6's, not brand new, but not too used either. I have put abut 6,000 miles on them, a combination to daily slab commuting (70 miles RT), and including a 1,700 mile RT trip down the BRP, the Dragon, and back home on the slab; but the front tire is getting very close to needing replacement; I guess within another 500 miles or so.

Here's the question I always ran Z4's and Z6's on the RS, and have been duly impressed with the grip and ride of the tires, but I was wondering, wear wise, is the M880 or Pilot Road 2 tires a better option for the RT? Keeping in mind that due to this bike being my daily (year round) commuter, the slab miles will far out weigh the touring and twisty miles, but I do want some good grip when I do ride the twisties on the weekend.

The second question, if by chance I make the decision to change to another tire, what are the thoughts on changing the front 1st and then the rear in another 1,000 to 1,500 (est.) miles, or is it better judgement to just do them both together?

BTW, for a slightly overweight old guy and a 600 Lb (side and top cases loaded) sport touring bike, I have to say that I was very impressed with the grip level of the Z6's at Deal's Gap and the sweepers on the BRP.

Thanks for your input.

I prefer Michelin Pilot Roads or the Avon Storm's for Sport Touring and every day use.
You just can't beat Avon's tech and warranty support.

tires

I have the same '04 RT and am now on my third set of Michelin Pilot Road's (not the newer 2's). The wear is acceptable. About 8-10k with the spirited riding I do as well as the occasional Track Day. Just did a 5,000 mile trip out west and they performed flawlessly on every road surface I could throw at them.

The front cups a bit through the normal wear process. and starts to make some noise after the first 1,000 miles of wear but doesn't get any worse.

Mileage
Low Noise
Traction in the wet
Traction in the dry
Almost never have to check the pressure since it rarely changes
Excellent ride
Handling, the bike wants to fall into every turn. High speed sweepers are a joy.

Dislikes:
New Pilot Road 2's are cost prohibitive

Once again, I agree with RPM. The extra cost of the PR2's over the PR's kill the deal for me. I've also heard the PR2's aren't supposed to last longer, just have softer sides for better traction when leaned over.
I'm sold on the Continental Attack line, but will give the Bridgestone BT-016 a try next time.

The original Michelin Pilot Road is an excellent all around tire. The new Dunlop Roadsmart is getting good reviews but it hasn't been out long enough to know about longevity.

Pilot Roads are nice, good all around grip; wet and dry.
Reallly liked the Comtinental Road Attacks but they lasted less than 6,000 miles.
Just put on the Pilot Raod II today and will see how that goes.

tires,

I suggest something Round, Something Black, and retaining air are all good features.

Michelin Pilot 2

tires

I too will look at the Pilot Road 2's or the new Dunlop Smart's when it's time to change.

One of the guys I rode out west with put the Pilot 2's on his R1100s. He really liked the way the tires felt and the first 5k miles looks like the wear is beyond the original Pilot's without the cupping on the front.

One thing I've liked about the Michelin's is the way they feel on the bike. Incredibly smooth ride and I like the way the bike falls into the turn effortlessly.

Dunlop's in the past gave a very different feel on my RT. A harsher ride and a heavier feeling front end, but maybe that's just me.

RPG

I have to admit that when scanning these forums quickly for good information and then stumbling accross some smart assed funny like Sportridertex's contribution does not fail to get a laught out of me. :thumb

I've been thru Pilot Roads (not the 2's), Bridgestone BT020's, and Z6's on my R-RS. I keep coming back to the Z6's - they just feel more planted, and don't give up any mileage to the others.

tries x 2

I had put on Avon's on my 99 RT. I drove to Texas and spiked the front tire. In Wichita Falls all I could find for the Bike was the Road Pilot. I have been running with two different brands for the past 5,000 miles and both are holding up well to my daily riding, activities. I am not sure what I will replace them with when they go????

I just had the rare opportunity to do a back to back test between the Metzeler Z6 and the Pilot Road 2.

First let me point out that I NEVER chose a tire based on price. I'm not saying that you are right or wrong if you do. My personal belief is the great price you pay for a tire is long forgotten if you hate the feel or end up on your head. PLEASE don't hijack this thread and start that debate and please don't flame me as I'm just clearing up the fact that I know that one tire is a lot pricier that the other.

Another tidbit of info is I have 22 years of licensed roadracing under my belt. While I do believe in "saving it for the track", I do occasionally stray when I get into the twisties so, grip, to me, is pretty important.

I bought my '96 1100RS some years back with the first generation Pilot Roads and didn't care for the turn in. Grip was fine but I felt that the rear tire had to flat a profile. I soon spooned on the z4's and later z6's (Metzelers) and ran them for over 100,000 miles. The wear was fine and the grip was more than enough even for the occasional track day. Wet weather grip is the Metzeler's forte. BUT, I got really tired of the tread wear indicator of the Z6 rear telling me they were gone when the cord started showing. Metzeler's apathy towards this problem made me decide to look elsewhere.

I tried the Pilot Road 2's. Immediately the bike felt 100 lbs lighter! Wow. The turn in was terrific, almost like power steering, yet, neutral in the corners. The ride was a tad harsher due to what I can only assume to be a stiffer side wall.

Now comes the good part... A little more that 2 weeks , and 7300 miles later, I'm in Anchorage looking at my tires and deciding if there is enough to get me home. I figure that there is about 2 to 3 thousand miles left (this answers the mileage question of the Pilot Road 2, they'll do fine) but that ain't gonna' get me home. I have them put on a set of Z6's as that all they had. Compared to the Michelins the Metzelers felt "truckish". They don't anything wrong, mind you, they just took a lot more effort to initiate the turn in. Grip, both wet and dry, on either are great. Oddly the front Michelin seemed to actually be wearing a bit faster than the rear. That could partly be me tho' as I almost exclusively use the front brakes (123,000 miles with the origional rear pads).

Summary of my long winded tale is... If you lean more towards the sport bike crowd I think you'd like the Michelins. If you are more the "Goldwing" type, then, I think the Metzelers might suit you better. Remember, price is not considered in my "professional":whistle opinion.

I'm sure that there are other folks who can help with other brands.

I hope this helps

Happy 4th:usa

Tires

I have n '03 R1200CLC with 42,000 miles. Nothing but ME880 Metzlers. The rear
lasts about 18K and the front 22K. The front does start to cup after 18K. No
problem with traction in all kinds of weather. Oh, and I did Deals Gap with them.:thumb

I enjoy the Avons. Have also rode Conti Road Attacks.
Safe to say tires are like "checking the oil", every opinion differs...:banghead

Back