• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Windscreen for R1100RS -- Suggestions??

D

danadach

Anyone out there care to share their thoughts on aftermarket windscreens for R1000RS bikes. Mine is a '96 and I am still using the stock fairing (although have replaced it once). Was hoping to find a windscreen that was interchangeable with the stock bolt pattern that will provide more wind/bug/weather protection and a quieter ride for use on longer hauls.

This is my first venture into aftermarket w/s, and I don't know how to order the right size for me. I am 5'9" with a 29" inseam, so while my legs are shortish my seat-to-eye height (upper body length) seems to have me looking eye-to-eye with people 5"11" - 6'1" when seated.

I have tried to read about the differing brands. Aero-flow has my interest, but probably more from a technical standpoint since I work in aerodynamics as part of my job. Can anyone con firm the claims of better gas mileage? I understand the smooth vs turbulent flow theory, but it also seems that bigger w/s means bigger frontal area.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

:german

I just bought an Aeroflow.

Its wider than the stock and gives good protection.

I am 6" 2" and ride the same year.

I'm 5' 11" and ride with the seat in the middle position. So far the Wudo is the least turbulent compared to the stock screen and an Aeroflow I've tried. I keep it in the low position to keep my head in clean air.
Many RS owners have reported a quieter ride when they trim a couple inches off the stock screen and eliminate the flip at the top. Like any motorcycle, the windshield works best if it's either very low or very tall as in at chin height. Anything in between in usually very noisy.

I'm 5' 11" and ride with the seat in the middle position. So far the Wudo is the least turbulent compared to the stock screen and an Aeroflow I've tried. I keep it in the low position to keep my head in clean air.
Many RS owners have reported a quieter ride when they trim a couple inches off the stock screen and eliminate the flip at the top. Like any motorcycle, the windshield works best if it's either very low or very tall as in at chin height. Anything in between in usually very noisy.

I also have the Wudo screen on mine as well. I also keep it in the lowest position and find the air flow is nice and smooth coming across right at shoulder level.

I'm not sure what the availability is though on them now, they were hard to come byu in North America a few years ago. I've had mine for quite a while.

Very interesting. Lots of positive feedback on keeping the windscreen shorter vs taller. I had been thinking needed taller. I can tell from the bugs that hit my faceshield that the stock w/s pushes the air up basically to about my nose. the lower 1/3 is usually noticeably cleaner than the rest of it so all of that turbulance hits me right at the ears.

A question for MAINELYTRIUMPHS: what size Aeroflow do you have, how tall are you, and what's your inseam, if you'd care to share.

Thanks all. I am learning and appreciate your inputs. Also checking into the Wudo. Hadn't even heard of that brand but a quick web search has me interested. Found a good review with pix on a '94 R1100RS, so nice to see how it looks on the bike if any of you are interested. http://grumpy-c-bear.org/Bike/R11RSWindScreens/index.html

Thanks again. I will continue to read anyone's input!!

I have a 94 R1100RS and have had the Parabellum windscreen on mine nearly from the time I purchased the bike (in 94). I started with the "tombstone" shaped initial offering from Parabellum which worked well.

When returning from a rally in the late 90s I dropped the bike (i.e., failed to hold it upright) and broke the windscreen. I replaced the broken windscreen with a newer offering from Parabellum which was a bit taller and wider. I like this windscreen much better.

Parabellum has pictures of these windscreens on their website at:
http://www.parabellum.com/

I also have a Wudo screen -- I liked the curved design, which is why I got it in the first place. I am 5'4" and live in a quiet little bubble using this windscreen.

On my '99 r1100rs, I use a stock screen off an r1150rs. I recently added some rubber spacers under the screen to move it out about 1/2 inch. More wind flows underneath the screen, pushing the flow up a bit. Seems pretty quiet. In the winter I use a Parabellum screen to block more wind and stay warmer.

Back