• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Twin spark verdicts?

sgborgstrom

Don't forget your towel
I'm starting the drawn out process of convincing my self I deserve a new bike in the fleet and am leaning towards the F650 Dakar.

Not much chatter out there on the new twin spark motors over the older style, wondering if anybody would like to comment?

Steve

My new '05 Dakar runs great. Runs fine on regular gas and gets 60 to 75 mpg, calculating by the BMW odometer. Seems to start fine hot or cold. The only engine issue so far is that it seems to have idle problems here at 7000 ft. It likes to idle too fast up here sometimes. At lower altitudes, below 5000 ft., there is no problem. BMW computer diagnostics say everything is adjusted spot on and show no fault codes. Overall I am very happy with my first 6000 miles.

I took an '05 650 Dakar out for an hour long test ride this week just to see if I would like it or not.

Good thing this summer's big project is building a bigger garage 'cause by this time next year I'll have need of some extra space, what a great bike! A bit tall for my 31" inseam when stopped but light and nimble once moving. I ran it over my usual potholed commuter route, much better under those conditions than my K100RS. On the highway it zipped right along, not quite as "set" as the K in the turbulence from semis but I don't ride the slab if I can avoid it so that's not an issue. I now know why this bike has developed such a passionate following.

Steve

F650s are great bikes. Sneered at by some, loved by most owners. For every story you hear of "rode one and hated it," you'll hear five of "since I bought the F, my R... or K.... sits unused". Like Flash, I prefer the Aprilia-built Funduro/ST units, but the Dakars are great, too. Just make sure you ride THE bike you're buying before you sign on the dotted line.

Flash, good point!

My previous post told about my idling problem at altitude but I forgot that I also had the starting problem you mentioned. Obviously the dealer checking out the engine didn't solve that problem either.

But the reason I forgot is that the bike quit doing the cold start and then die problem. I can offer two possible reasons for the end of the problem, the motorcycle has enough break-in miles (6000+) or I learned how to start it correctly. Not very scientific but all I can think of for now.

Back