• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Communications system recommendation, please

F

FatChance

I am looking for recommendations for a motorcycle communications system for FatWife and myself. Here are my requirements:

1) I am looking for bike-to-bike communications, I do not carry a passenger, so an intercom isn't necessary.

Second) My preferred communication mode is FRS or GMRS. I don't want or need cell phones for this.

D) I want the ability to use my own in-ear speakers (er6) as I have not found any helmet speakers I care for.

a) I want to be able to listen to stereo music, mono won't cut it.

iii) A wired system is OK

17) I want to have prioritized input so I can listen to an mp3 player and a call from FatWife will over-ride the music.

Next) The system should be fairly portable to our other bikes and helmets.

What would be the best system for something like this? TIA

I am looking for recommendations for a motorcycle communications system for FatWife and myself. Here are my requirements:

1) I am looking for bike-to-bike communications, I do not carry a passenger, so an intercom isn't necessary.

Second) My preferred communication mode is FRS or GMRS. I don't want or need cell phones for this.

D) I want the ability to use my own in-ear speakers (er6) as I have not found any helmet speakers I care for.

a) I want to be able to listen to stereo music, mono won't cut it.

iii) A wired system is OK

17) I want to have prioritized input so I can listen to an mp3 player and a call from FatWife will over-ride the music.

Next) The system should be fairly portable to our other bikes and helmets.

What would be the best system for something like this? TIA

I started a thread late last year about this very thing, do a search. But for my wife and I who both ride solo, a good BTB system was the only way she felt comfortable. We chose a pair of Autocom 300's with all the bells and whistles. The radios are Kenwood 3101 GMRS 2 watts and a Antenex mobile antenna mount on the rear trunk. We have clear BTB communications using VOX at any speed with the visors up or down. We can be 4 miles apart and still talk clearly. I have a cell and Mp3 on my bike. I also have the earphone adaptor if I chose to go with earphones instead of the helmet speakers. But so far I'm happy with the helmet speakers and regular ear plugs. I can't say enough about how well this system is working for us. Autocom has a web-site that has actual video and sound of the systems compared with other intercoms. The Autocom 300 on that website is exactly what they sound like in person. I have taken calls at 80 MPH and the caller had no idea I was on a bike, just like they claim it works at any speed. This was all on VOX, we have the PTT buttons on the handle bars if we feel the need. You use the PTT to to talk BTB when in a cell call at the same time.

There is a ton of opinions on MOA, they were all helpfull, but the Autocom actual comparasion on the web-site convinced me. I was looking real hard at the Star-com system, but they didn't sound very well in the testing. Hope this gives you a start. It took me 6 months of research to pick one. Good hunting...

Autocom will do everything you want except leave a lot of money in your wallet.
It's absolutely terrific though pricey. Below is my new set up showing their Super Pro AVi along with their Kenwood AT2 radio tucked away under the tail. If you look closely on the left, you're looking at the top of their Kenwood AT2 mounted using it's belt clip screws to secure it to the bike. What you can't see is their powered back of the radio which is powered by the bike so no battery charging is necessary. Secondly, you will notice the antenna location has a cable. The cable runs to their blade antenna which is mounted on the underside of the rack where the top case sits. I would highly recommend their push to talk button which you operate with your thumb on the clutch side.

Attachments

• DSC01708.jpg
    DSC01708.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 488
Autocom.

I've added an XMA3 amp from Tessaract to help with the music's quality. You can also get a helmet cord that has a plug for in ear speakers.

A friend of mine has his Autocom mounted on a plastic sheet that fits in his various tankbags so he can move it from bike to bike. It'll run on a 9V battery, so you don't have to mess with power connections.

I believe, though I'm not positive, you can get a PTT button that mounts on the left bar for the B2B radios.

Autocom.

I've added an XMA3 amp from Tessaract to help with the music's quality. You can also get a helmet cord that has a plug for in ear speakers.

A friend of mine has his Autocom mounted on a plastic sheet that fits in his various tankbags so he can move it from bike to bike. It'll run on a 9V battery, so you don't have to mess with power connections.

I believe, though I'm not positive, you can get a PTT button that mounts on the left bar for the B2B radios.

Are you using the XMA3 amp in conjunction with Autocom or is it an alternative to Autocom?

FatChance,

I've not yet pried open the wallet yet, but, after posting here and on BMW Sport Touring, I'm convinced that Autocom is the cheapest (after you spend money on systems that don't work and then go to Autocom anyways) and best system around.

Missed out on some used ones but still looking.

Good luck. Give us a report when you pull the trigger and let us know how it turns out for you.

Autocom.

I've added an XMA3 amp from Tessaract to help with the music's quality.

I fourth (or fifth, or whatever) the suggestion for Autocom.

I am curious about this amp use, though- seems that the sound problems w/ the Autocom for music are about its inputs overloading (at least that's what it sounds like to me).

So where are you putting the amp? If you put it between the autocom and your ear speakers, doesn't the volume on the intercom get to be too loud? If you put it between the source and the Autocom I'd think you would just overload the inputs...

Just curious what you're doing before I go spending money on improved music fidelity. I've asked elsewhere and never really gotten an answer.

FatChance,

I've not yet pried open the wallet yet, but, after posting here and on BMW Sport Touring, I'm convinced that Autocom is the cheapest (after you spend money on systems that don't work and then go to Autocom anyways) and best system around.

After browsing Autocom systems on the web, I would have to say that considering all of the add-ons, "cheapest" is a relative term (especially doubling the cost to outfit FarWife's bike), but it is looking more and more like the best system for my requirements. I appreciate all of the advice.

Autocom

After seeing the performance of the system I have from my Pro AVI, I have three friends that I am now setting up with the same system.

Autocom is good stuff!

Wouldn't that be "hear the performance":stick Yea - I had to do it!

I am also very pleased with the performance of my Autocom system. It works great for talking to my passenger, receiving the voice prompts from my Quest GPS, listening to my MP3 player, taking a call on my mobile phone, and talking bike-to-bike on my Kenwood radio. It just doesn't get any better than that:brad

I got mine back in '06 during a half-price sale in preparation for a Euromototour with my son and it performed flawlessly. In fact I just recently got a system as a gift for my son's 25th birthday so he can use it for our upcoming Euromototour II. The bike-to-bike comms sure beats hand signals and makes group riding much more enjoyable.:thumb

Cheers,
Steve

Back