• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

HOT Weather Jacket

motofranz

HOT Weather Jacket

What jacket does everyone wear in really hot weather? BMW Airflow2,
Firstgear ,Rev'it Airflow ?
Any suggustions are welcome ...

:idea

I prefer my leathers, but when it is really hot, I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix. I also have the waterproof liner. When it gets rainy or cool at night I just put in the liner and it works pretty well.

Belstaff spitfire

It is waterproof and pretty well ventilated. Bought it last July and expected it to be much hotter to wear than it is. Of course I don't have a fairing so I get the wind full blast. Been a great year 'round jacket.

im going through the same thing right now. ive got the kilimanjaro and have been looking for something that wont cook me quite so fast when im stopped.

cliffy - did you look at other belfast jackets too? did you get the spitfire and found out that it works well year round for you serendipitously? did you look at the airstream also? how hot is your hottest weather? im looking at 90+ with full sun for 3-4 months a year.

thanks.

Joe rocket sells a liner that is evaporative cooling. It is around 75.00, and I imagine it would be worth it, if I were dealing with 90 degrees for 3 months. 90 degrees is better than 3 months of ice and snow.....

Y I bought a Belstaff

Needed a new jacket. (Cuz my red one looked fine on the black R1100RL, but not so good with the bronze Rockster). While waiting for my bike to get prepped I nosed around the showroom. My sweethear has a Belstaff....plus they had a real good sale on the Spitfires. Had 'em marked down to 199 or something.
Hottest temps here are in the 90's. In Michigan the humidity is what gets ya.
Coldest temp I rode in was 19. With the liner (no electrics yet).
The Spitfire is well vented and I have ridden it in some serious downpours with no water penetration. One time for about two hours. (Did get a little up my sleeve one time on account of having short gloves on.)
Grand Rapids BMW is 'pert near giving away the Spitfires now. I think their distributor dumped the Belstaff line....
their website is www.bmwmcgr.com I think.

I have the First Gear mesh jacket and love it, up into the 90s, as long as I'm not in stop and go traffic. For that, in our Florida summers, I have a Brosch mesh jacket. I don't rmember what I paid for it, but the Brosch folks are great to work with and, even though they're located i n Israel, I got quick service.

http://www.brosh.com/store.asp

Hall

It depends

When commuting for work, the AirFlow with commuter pants if really hot 80+. For personal rides, I also wear the airflow pants.

I am happy with it, and have never felt too hot in it. Biggest complaint, no place to clip drink tube to.

60 to 79 I go with the Aerostich Roadcrafter with all the vents open. It lets through more than you would think.

Below that it becomes the Commuter jacket, zip in the lining, add electrics...

The all important thing no matter what jacket you get, stay hydrated. I use a Platypus cause the plastic is thicker than the Camelbak. Really, it is important. Really.

I had a camelbak seam let go while I was on a bicycle. It was a wet experience, to say the least.

Summer Jacket

I'm in south Texas where it's hot about 9 months out of 12. Summers are high 90's and humid. I use a Cortech TourMaster, good protection and let's lots of of air in.:brow

I just bought the Gericke Venom Mesh jacket for $85.00 from motorcyclecloseouts.com. A very nice jacket, especially for the money. I also bought the Gericke Moto Mest pants for $105, also very nice.

Joe Rocket Mesh and a liner for the cool evenings.

This jacket works for me from 50 degrees to 110 degrees. 50 with the liner of course. I love it's versitility and it comes with decent armor and all for less tha $150.

Jim :brow

HOT weather jacket ..update

Since I last posted I have purchased a Rev'it Airflow jacket from BMW of the Tri-State.

Well, it really works !
It feels like you are wearing a T-Shirt with armor !

Took a ride to dinner with a friend and we didn't leave the restaurant until sunset . I figured it was going to be a little nippy so I grabed a handful of napkins,and stuffed then in my sleeves and the jacket front. IT WORKED !
(I forgot to pack my liner )

Tested the Airflow again today in 85+ temps and it was very comfy .

BMW Airflow for me!

I bought the first version of the Airflow (in silver) and love it. The Airflow2 is similarly cool, but less stiff and more supple (same thing, isn't it?).
When it's a little cool, I wear a Gore Windstopper garment pullover or jacket liner under it.
The Airflow and a Camelbak water supply have gotten me through many a hot desert ride.
The BMW Airflow and Airflow2 seem a bit more substantial and better armored than most of the other ventilated jackets I've seen. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Something new--Joe Rocket Alter Ego

How about a Joe Rocket Alter Ego? It's a new product that is designed to cover all year round.

Right now I'm wearing it in "Phoenix" mode--mesh only. It also has an inner rain shell which is good for cooler weather too. When it gets cold there is an outer shell for winter weather. With all three layers in place it is a pretty warm jacket.

List price is about $250. Street price is $200 to $225. I actually found it for a little under $200, but paid $225 in order to support a local dealer.

Back