• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spare Bulb?

Fritzc

I hear lots of guys saying they carry a spare headlight bulb with them on trips. I was wondering how many had actually replaced their headlight bulb alongside the freeway, 1000 miles from home, in total darkness, during a horrendous rainstorm. Having just replaced the fairing frame on my RT, it came to me that changing a bulb is a complicated task even with the fairing removed. It is my position one should just have good road service on their bike. :violin :dunno :scratch

I've replaced the bulb on my S in the cold & dark. Although it's an entirely different bike (much less involved I imagine). I also always carry my Surefire Flashlight in my tankbag, and had to pull it out once when my headlight went out on the highway at night. I cliped it to my helmet visor and hoped for the best until I reached the next exit (only about 2 miles). I carry as much as possible including spare bulbs even when commuting to and from work.

I try to prepare for the worst without carrying the kitchen sink.

YMMV

Normally, you would only lose one beam or bulb in two bulb set ups. Some people also have auxiliary lights. That would enable you to limp to civilization and wait for day light.

I did at one point but now I don't.

I was coming home from Coeur d'Alene ID one afternoon and as I got to the town of Ritzville, WA I noticed I had a hard time seeing the road signs. I got gas tried wiggling the wires, flashing the hi beam, etc. I finally decided to get back on the freeway and get behind a car or truck and follow them to the next major town of Moses Lake and made it in just before 9 PM. The truck stop didn't have a bulb for my bike and I found a auto parts store the other side of town. I made it minutes before closing and using the streetlight changed out the bulb and it still didn't work. I got a room and the next morning drove home. :dance

It ended up being my switch! :dunno

I now have a pair of PIAA aux lights so if it every happens again I can still ride and I had that chance last fall. No more messing around on the side of the road at ungodly hours trying to figure out the stupid headlight problems.

Get a pair of aux lights and don't worry about anything.

The headlight in my R1100RT is pretty easy to change; just turn the h'bar to lock and reach into the abyss. It helps to have a decent flashlight, too.....

Headlight burned out North of Britton, 'S.D. looking for the Continental Divide bonus during the Minnesota 1000 in 2006. Auxillary lights brought me into town, grabbed the bulb from underneath the rear of the gas tank (had been there two years) for the job. Had it changed in about the same amount of time that a RT rider watching me took to eat a gas station burrito. Finally found the bonus monument, kept on riding by it as it did not look like what I thought a monument would.

I have a question.

If you have a vehicle with only one head light why would you not carry an extra headlight bulb?

Wayne Koppa
850R

I have a question.

If you have a vehicle with only one head light why would you not carry an extra headlight bulb?

Wayne Koppa
850R

My Roadster has a lone H4 bulb, so I do carry a spare with me. It seems like common sense to do that. I have it wrapped in bubble wrap and duct tape in my tank bag. The one time that the low beam went out on me, I was at a gas station about 1.5 miles from home. I also have Motolights and Hella Optilux driving lights.

Back