• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

master brake cyl.

E

ENGINEROD

I have a leaky master brake cyl. on a 75 R90/6. My question is can it be taken apart and rebuilt? I can see a snap ring holding the piston in. Is there a o-ring on the piston? This is where the leak is coming from. Are there any rules I need to follow?

well of course it can be rebuilt
the kits run about $66
and if it is leaking, you really want to fix it asap
The old BMW brakes are not the best in the world, esp compared to newer bikes, adn anything that hurts the workings is not a good thing at all

well, let me change that, in most cases they can be rebuilt, if it is not scored or pitted internally

You'll want to try and clean up the bore if pitted or rusted, otherwise it will just cut the o-ring again. You can find an appropriate sized wooden dowel and wrap some sandpaper around it. There are companies that can resleeve the older master cylinders. The other option is to retrofit a handlebar master cylinder... There's been quite a bit of discussion about which models will work. There's issues with master cylinder bore diameter and getting the right one plus routing the new hose.

Thanks for the information. I have a large selection of O-rings. Can I just replace the o-rings inside? Is there more to a rebuild kit than o-rings?

It's been a while since I've seen one of these kits. I suppose you could use any o-ring as long as it was the correct dimensions (??) and was OK for use in DOT3/4 fluids.

James Klossner has prepared an excellent report on the procedure.

http://tinyurl.com/6rleo4

On page 4, the "cup" installation is particularly tricky. Warm the new rubber up in warm water to try to get the install done without tearing the rubber.

Thanks Bill............I am going to order a rebuild kit on monday. The photos are great. How hard is it to take off the last rubber cup that is still on the shaft? I don't think I will have very much trouble after seeing the steps.

Thanks again Rodney

Thanks Bill............I am going to order a rebuild kit on monday. The photos are great. How hard is it to take off the last rubber cup that is still on the shaft? I don't think I will have very much trouble after seeing the steps.

Thanks again Rodney
I don't know Rodney. Jim Klossner rebuilt mine. But dental pics work well for this sort of thing. I'd try to get the old one off intact if I could, just to have an emergency second shot at it if I tore the new cup trying to put it on. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Back