• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lets hear from all those who have their original clutch slave cylinders

twins4life

And how many miles it has lasted. Mine was screeching bad at 27,000 miles. I'm just wondering what the overall history is for the slave cylinder and how long I can expect it to last.

Last edited:
Original 154,000 km, lightly greased the bearing at 80,000 & 153,000 as well as fluid change every year.
Also don't forget to trim away the protective sleeve on the pressure hose bottom at the cylinder. The sleeve holds water against the fitting and rust will eventually destroy it - result: instantly no clutch lever.

Last edited:
54k miles and still going. The clutch fluid is changed every 12k. Lightly greased at 50.5k during spline lube. Small amount of transmission oil present from leaking past input shaft rear seal at 50.5k. 20% to 30% stop-n-go riding.

...as well as fluid change every year.

And that might be the answer.

Both of mine are still going but then I don't have a lot of kms on either of them. But I do have 154,000 kms on the clutch slave cylinder on my car that is exposed to far harsher conditions than any motorcycle clutch slave cylinder.

These things aren't rocket science. In fact they are so dead simple, there really is no reason for them to fail other than poor design or poor quality control.

The Old War Horse

2002 Pacific Blue GS with 84,600 miles. . . not done anything to the clutch or drive system. Every 12,000 I take it to Pikes Peak BMW & Ducati and think it'll be due but so far. . .ridden hard and put away wet.

gpodzo

For those that are "lightly greasing" the slave cylinder bearing, how are you doing that?

To do so would require splitting the frame to remove the slave cylinder, then removing the circlip that holds the bearing in. What am I missing here? The failed bearing in my slave cylinder would not come out.

How can changing the fluid can effect bearing life? The bearing is inside the piston, completely sealed from the DOT 4 fluid.

Trimming the protective sleeve is golden advice! Mine was full of rusty water too.

How can changing the fluid can effect bearing life? The bearing is inside the piston, completely sealed from the DOT 4 fluid.

Well are we talking about failed clutch slave cylinders (that leak brake fluid) or are we talking about failed bearings?

Well are we talking about failed clutch slave cylinders (that leak brake fluid) or are we talking about failed bearings?

Really either, but it seems that most of the failures are bearing related. The bearing fails, the fluid overheats and then when you change it, the fluid comes out dark and thick. And the overheating causes the piston seal to leak, sometimes getting into fluid into the clutch.

I was asking if people thought that regular changes will prevent bearing failures. If that is the case, I will change the fluid monthly :blah

I glad to hear of others not having any issues, it gives me some perspective.

Almost 70,000 and not a whimper. I read all the horror stories, start worrying, all to no avail. Nothing has died. Still have original final drive, slave cylinder, etc., etc. Any upgrades have been for pure self-satisfaction and not because anything failed. Of course this is true of both of my last oilheads--both close to 100,000 miles on each with out ever having any major failure.

Ltownsend

For those that are "lightly greasing" the slave cylinder bearing, how are you doing that?

To do so would require splitting the frame to remove the slave cylinder, then removing the circlip that holds the bearing in. What am I missing here? The failed bearing in my slave cylinder would not come out.

Trimming the protective sleeve is golden advice! Mine was full of rusty water too.

While bike was apart for spline lube I used the pushrod end to 'force' in some grease and then wiped away any excess. Changing the fluid regularly prolongs the seal life.

Of course this is true of both of my last oilheads--both close to 100,000 miles on each with out ever having any major failure.

Ltownsend

This is the #2 reason we both have BMWs, the #1 reason is handeling and we like 2 cylinder engines (hence my site name) and BMW owners seem to be a different type of person than most bikers.

When I had my R-90/6, Oak was a big help and good friend. He brought me a rectifier board once on a ride near where I lived, on a weekend, and helped me get it installed.

Back