• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do not downshift..... do not

torags

Repeat... Do not downshift... again, again... While kicking oneself in the butt ... then repeat, repeat.. repeat

New input transmission shaft $2,000 +

:sick

Yikes!!

But... Caused by downshifting? Tell me more.

John

+1

with a combination of big twin motor, rev matching and planning stops, i hardly use the brakes. i don't want to break my bike!

I have a bad habit. I downshift coming into a turn like I do with my manual trans cage.

That puts extreme stress coming in then add digging out of apex, hmmm

Repeat... Do not downshift... again, again... While kicking oneself in the butt ... then repeat, repeat.. repeat

New input transmission shaft $2,000 +

:sick

Do you blip the throttle to match the downshift or just downshift?

As an inveterate downshifter, a friend once pointed out to me that brake linings or pads are a lot cheaper than a transmission.:nono

That's nuts. Downshifting is part of riding a motorcycle. Was the spline lube done on time?

I agree downshifting is a normal function. If done right it should not be an issue. Now you probably shouldnt be downshifting IN a turn because that might cause control issues. But it shouldnt hurt the transmission per se.

I don't know about the RS but my 1150R loves to be left in 4th gear for all but the tightest cornering. Good engine braking coming in, good launch out. On a twisty road I forget the shifting and ride her like a big scooter.I'm a pretty smooth rider in the corners..I practice The Pace

As an inveterate downshifter, a friend once pointed out to me that brake linings or pads are a lot cheaper than a transmission.:nono

BMW once pointed that out to one of their race car drivers...can't remember, but back sometime in the '70s.

Sorry to hear that, but I don't think it was caused by downshifting. I think it sounds like a classic "transmission misalignment causing clutch splines to slowly devour the input shaft." Also, I'm sorry to say it is proablaby gonna happen every 30K miles until you sell the bike or replace the transmission.

Sorry,

On what? The guy just keeps saying "do not downshift." Heck, you upshift, you gotta downshift at some point. That's my take on it.

Methinks this is how the old never use the front brake myth got started as well.

Sorry to hear that, but I don't think it was caused by downshifting. I think it sounds like a classic "transmission misalignment causing clutch splines to slowly devour the input shaft." Also, I'm sorry to say it is proablaby gonna happen every 30K miles until you sell the bike or replace the transmission.

Sorry,

Now that's the most intelligent answer posted.

This would be a manufacturers defect; Jim do you know of any successful claims on the manufacturer for this?

I haven't spoken to the tech yet, I'll post when I pick up the bike

Hmmm... I haven't noticed any clutch chatter. If misaligned that could result. The throw out bearing would be toast.

In 500k miles I've never worn out a clutch -- and I've put about 100k miles on three of them. I've also never worn out a clutch in a car. (When we put a rebuilt motor in our '86 Mazda 626 with 180k miles on it, the mechanic asked if we wanted to put the old clutch back in as it was less than half worn.)

Just as you should practice your braking skills, you should practice your shifting -- especially downshifting. You should be able to downshift even into first (at an appropriate speed, of course) while riding smoothly, without chirping the rear tire.

If you ever take one of Reg Pridmore's CLASSes and get to ride on the back of his bike, you'll notice that you can't feel him shift gears, he is ultra smooth.

Back