• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200 RT Crash Bars and accessories

TGA57589

I have an '07 R1200RT and have recently found some pretty nice looking crash bars from Touratech in stainless steel. I'm not really interested in the plastic OEM valve cover guards since I don't think they will hold up to well other than in a driveway drop. Has anyone any experience with these bars (or others) ? I had seen a list of one of the members after market parts he put on his RT and where they were purchsed and can't seem to find that posting. I wish to purchase the front mudflap/fender extender and haven't found a place to get one yet. Would appreciate any and all accessories locations .

The TT are nice bars but I when I purchased them, the picture in their advertisement showed enough room to use them with my Elfpeg foot rests that mount in the valve cover.

When I mounted them, they were not the same ones in the picture and covered the spark plug holes. Kimmo in shipping charged me a 25% " restocking fee" and shipping both ways. He said the picture in their catalog was an old picture.

It ended up costing me over $100 to "look" at their bars :fight

I ended up buying Wunderlich bars and won't buy anything from Touratech again.

Bill K
Foster,RI
05R1200RT
05Vstrom

Crash Bars

This is one of my posts. It might help. I did a lot of work to find the best prices. I don't have bars on my bike but the plastic guard does hold up from a standing drop (I have experiance).

HTML:
I've had my '07 since April and have added nearly all I need to match my needs. (See my list below) I changed out the seat the day of purchase with a heated Sargent set (see picture) and along with a gell pad recently stayed on the bike for 7 - 12 hour days. I suggest you read up on other's opinions and perhaps find a few RT with the different seats. The dealer took 7.5% off the list and gave me a 6 month 15% discount for after market and BMW add ons.

Item Price Vendor
Fender Logo Plate $12.95 Bob's
Oil Filter Wrench $12.95 Bob's
Stop Light Signaler $12.00 Bob's
Tank Emblem R1200C $25.39 Bob's
Autoswitch 5P high beam trigger switch $20.00 cyclegadgets.com
Autoswitch Garage Door $30.00 cyclegadgets.com
Hyper-Lites, Dual Function $74.00 cyclegadgets.com
PIAA 1100X $260.00 cyclegadgets.com
PIAA 1100X & mounting brackets $60.00 cyclegadgets.com
Reflective Kit $29.95 cyclegadgets.com
Fiamm Freeway Blaster Horns $56.00 Fisher Auto
Helmet Speakers $22.44 Helmetaudio.com
Nelson-Rigg cover (X-Large) $36.00 Motorcycle Superstore
Carbon FX, BMW Tri-Color Heated Seat $820.00 Sargent
BMW Tire Repair Kit $25.00 Sierra
Power Connector adapter $15.20 Sierra
Side Stand $36.50 Sierra
Handlebar Up Kit $99.20 Suburban Machinery
BMW Navigator III $1,189.15 Twin City BMW
Front Fender Extender $42.46 Twin City BMW
Rear Fender Extender $22.95 Twin City BMW
StormGuard Cover $104.13 Twin City BMW
Tool Kit $73.10 Twin City BMW
Ztechnik Vstream Windshield $163.00 Twin City BMW
Total After Market Accessories $3,242.37 

MSRP $18,000.00 $19,460.00 
Top Case $725.00 
Engine Guards $129.00 
Tank Bag $308.00 
Pannier Protectors $150.00 
Saddle Bag Liners $184.00 
Accessories Total $1,337.00 
Tax, License & Title, Doc. Fee $1,423.45 
Grand Total $24,002.82 

Attachment 10277

I also have the Wunderlich bars on my 06 RT. Choose them because they do not obstruct the valve covers and the elf pegs worked fine. Needed a bit of elbow grease to get 'em lined up and installed. Luckily Bill K and I have a mutual friend, Steve O, who always can get it done.

R1200RT Crash Bars

I just spent yesterday afternoon installing a set of Wunderlich bars and found the installation to be straightforward and the fit excellent. I was pleasantly surprised! At the same time I also installed the front fender extender, P/N 8500215. Both of these were procured from BMW of Santa Cruz, who is, I believe, the exclusive US distributor of Wunderlich. Total cost including shipping was $415.40.

I have elf pegs and OEM head guards, and the new bars are compatible with both. From past experience I can say that if your elf pegs are extended and you drop the bike while trying to set it on the side stand, you will mess up your valve cover and the peg! I don't think the bars would have helped in that situation.

I bought the bars because I recently injured my ankle in a low speed training accident, and it is my hope that the bars will give my ankle an inch or two more clearance in the next accident. BTW, the OEM protectors worked fine during that crash.

There was a similar thread on another website recently which raised the issue of whether the bars could stand up to a crash, and, if not, what might happen. My gut feel is that they will probably distort and end up causing more damage than you would have had with the OEM protectors. I bought 'em for me, not the bike!

Had I learned to rig my pegs in before planned stops and to always visually check for side stand deployment, I would be several hundred dollars richer!

Chuck
Melbourne, FL
49 states, 5 provinces, New Zealand, and still counting

Bling Alert

Three interesting sources I have taken advantage of with my '05 R1200RT.

Good Luck!

1) CycleGadgets.com

2) NippyNormans.com (UK)

3) TwistedThrottle.com

Thanks for all the good information on accesories.

I just checked out a site for bar backs that I already added, they have an additional fee for the extended bolts for the Garmin GPS. I went to Fastenal purchasing the stainless steel bolts for $2.00 so if you don't mind making a trip to a fastener supply you'll save a couple of bucks. The GPS from BMW/Garmin comes with some poorly plated galvanized extended socket head bolts that look like they were plated in someone's basement.

I have the TT bars. I like how they look. The finish matches the silver on the bike. I don't see how they would block the plug holes. Looks like enough room to get bye. I got them becuase I dropped it when stopped in a parking lot and scratched the tip of the mirror and the top case (luckily the side cases weren't on ). Since I put them on I haven't dropped it once. I hope it stays that way but I like the added protection if I do.

Back