• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EWS Failure and Towing Nightmare (Merged multiple EWS threads)

mtfrench

GSMoto31
It started out as a perfect day to ride; mid 70s, sunny, and light breeze. After riding about 250 miles, my riding partner and I stopped for a quick drink. 10 minutes later we returned to our bikes. His 06 R12GS fired right up. My 07 R12GSA with 4K miles would not turn over and the dreaded EWS warning signal was staring at me. After a call to my dealer he explained that the only option was to call BMW roadside assistance and have the bike towed to him, about 100 miles away. He was 99% sure that the EWS sensor ring at the ignition failed and would need to be replaced. How did he know this? Turns out that he replaced several of these sensor rings recently and a call to another dealer today confirmed a similar EWS sensor failure number on bikes that he serviced recently. This really concerns me as I often ride in remote areas with no cell phone service. What have others heard about this serious problem that can affect all recent (post 2005?) models?

To make matters worse, it took about 3 hours for a tow truck to show up despite repeated return calls to BMW roadside assistance. The tow truck operator was ornery as hell and would not listen to my advice about how to properly tie down the bike. All these delays caused us to arrive at the dealer past closing time. I could go on and on about all the hassles, but suffice to say that my first experience with BMW roadside assistance was not pleasant. More importantly, I hope the EWS sensor does not fail again after replacement next week.

Re: Damn EWS

The same thing happened to my wife's '07 RT with about 4k on it. Coming back from the National, stopped for a bite to eat and came out to the dead bike. First time in 35 years that a bike didn't get me home.

I complained to the customer service drone that called about the service I received from the repairing dealer. BMW said they were sorry but other than that, kiss it. He wouldn't transfer me to anyone higher to get satisfaction.

After 10 years of BMW ownership,both 2 and 4 wheeled, that about finished my relationship with the brand. I really don't like the attitude of the company. I visited with my local dealer and they too are tired of the one sided relationship.

Back to the EWS, it took a couple of weeks to get the bike back and it hasn't hicupped since. If you look around on other web sites, you'll see many posts concerning the problem. Adv rider is one that I seem to remember that looked into it.

Good luck,

Welcome to the wonderfull world of BMW electronics.:bluduh This week, my brother had to bring his car (330i) in for total replacement of the steering column due to failure of the electronic steering lock as he had issues starting the vehicle. I have never ever heard of even the worst of vehicle brands having to replace that part.
I also heard about and seen plenty ( 4 in all) of EWS failures this past summer during my Alaska trip. One rider was stuck in the Yukon.
If BMW keeps this up, my 1150 will be my last BMW bike. I have an eye on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio.....:blush

EWS Problem

Happened to me today. R1200gsa 2007. 5500k miles.
After riding for 35 degrees, After 95 miles, ended with a little off roading, stopped the bike for 10 minutes down the street from my house and it wouldn't start again. EWS!.
I was lucky to be only a few houses away.
Called the dealer and they were also aware of it and it sounds like a part that should be kept on the bike as a spare. But a problem to change out.

What's BMW doing about this.

Same for me except after a turn of the key back to off, and on the next retry she started right up. Kind of makes you wonder though...

BMW Blunder!! EWS Failiure

This is crazy that a bike like this can have such a failiure and not have a recall on this part.
Mine just went after 5500 miles and I'm told the replacement part will not be an improved version. This is the SUV of motorcycles and such a stupid little part can leave you stranded. They know about it and are doing nothing. Unbelievable!!

For what it's worth, there's a new part number for the EWS ring antenna, does it mean improved reliability? :dunno

If you carry a spare, you can use it without removing the dead unit on the bike, you simply unplug the harness and plug in the spare, place it over the key hole, insert the plastic key and turn it on.

This is crazy that a bike like this can have such a failiure and not have a recall on this part.
Mine just went after 5500 miles and I'm told the replacement part will not be an improved version. This is the SUV of motorcycles and such a stupid little part can leave you stranded. They know about it and are doing nothing. Unbelievable!!

Funny that you should call it the SUV and this kind of thing should not happen. Did you ever watch THE RACE TO DAKAR? They where having all sorts of problems with the BMW X5 - EWS failures. Had to fly a guy in from germany with a GT-1 to get it going. Just thought I'd share.

Earl

EWS??? Makes me nervous.

:scratch From what I have just read, I may have had an EWS problem instead of a battery problem.

I had stopped to fuel up prior to checking into a motel in Southern Illinois in Early November. Attempted to Started My 2007 R1200RT after fueling. Nothing!!! I had been riding with Heated seats and Grips on, thought I must have depleted the battery charge by leaving the key on. Tried a couple or three times to start it, still nothing. The Motel was Down Hill from the Gas Station So I Coasted to the Motel. Tried to Dump the clutch to start, still nothing. Rather frustrated I checked into the Motel. I did not bring jumper cables or a Battery Tender with me so I was thinking about calling a cab to get a lift to purchase a battery tender from an auto parts store. Hunger was starting to set in though, so I walked about a 1/2 mile to dine, ate and walked back. After I was back I tried to start my RT an it fired right up. No sign of a weak battery. I ran the motor at a fast Idle for 10- 15 minutes with everything off to charge the battery well.

The next morning it started fine, I Rode through Kentucky, then back home to Indiana, stopping several times and not even a hint of a problem.

Took the bike in for a 6000 Mile service about a week later. Described the problem I had and asked them to check the Battery, etc. They found nothing. The service manager said not to have both keys in the vicinity of the key switch location at the same time, but did not indicate that this has been a problem.

Do you think this could have been a EWS Problem? On the screen when I turned the key on at the Gas Station the third time I got an "EWS" on the Computer Screen. I thought it might have showed up because the battery was dead at the time, but now it makes me wonder.

:dunno :dunno

Nervous RT Rider

Got a question, would a fault reader help out in any way with this issue? :dunno

The owners manual for my 2007 R1200ST explicitly says not to put any other keys on the ring with the bike's ignition key, as this can confuse the EWS. When I bought the bike, the dealer told me the same thing.

Do you think this could have been a EWS Problem? On the screen when I turned the key on at the Gas Station the third time I got an "EWS" on the Computer Screen. I thought it might have showed up because the battery was dead at the time, but now it makes me wonder.

:dunno :dunno

Nervous RT Rider
Sounds like an EWS problem to me.. was your spare key in the vicinity?

Also - if it fails with EWS warning. Turn it off and walk away for about 10 minutes. The system has a time-out built into it - so if it detects a failure it won't respond for so many minutes (I seem to remember 5.. but could be wrong on that) so that someone with a code jumper (a tool that sends out sequences of codes) won't be able to use it..

The Spare key was in my vest pocket or pant pocket. May have been to close when I was standing beside the bike after fueling. I put the bike on the center stand removed the tank bag and unlocked the fuel tank door, then re-inserted the key in the ignition switch. May need to avoid putting key into ignition until I am ready to go.

How would you handle this?

Plen

How would you handle this?

Plen
Good question.. dunno. I would hope the dealer can pull any error codes from the EWS system. If they can - I would also hope the codes give enough information to determine if it was a "two-key" problem, or a failure of the antenna.

I would hazard a guess that it isn't an antenna failure since it doesn't seem to have happened to you since then (am I correct in this?) and you've ridden the bike some distance/time since then.

As far as I have been able to find out.. the EWS system only "reads" the key when you go to start the bike (as evidenced by some people putting a spare antenna on and just moving it in the vicinity of the key when starting.. then moving it away.)

I do not think your spare key caused the problem - the reason being - mine is sewn into my Roadcrafter top.. and isn't all that far from the ignition assembly and EWS antenna when I go to start the bike. I've never experienced an EWS error.

BTW - the EWS "recovery" where it later started fine is likely due to the "time-out" factor I mentioned. Too many attempts to start it within a certain time will cause it to time-out, and then it won't start until it sits for some time.

Hi, sorry to repeat myself with the same question but did not get an answer for the first one or nobody knows; can a code reader either the one frm Africa or the MAC help with this particular issue in errasing the fault code?

Sorry but just felt ignored and consider it to be a valid question and usefull for all.

Frank

Hi, sorry to repeat myself with the same question but did not get an answer for the first one or nobody knows; can a code reader either the one frm Africa or the MAC help with this particular issue in errasing the fault code?

Sorry but just felt ignored and consider it to be a valid question and usefull for all.

Frank
Don't feel ignored - I suspect no one has an answer to your valid question. Answering it would require someone to both have the failure and have a GS911 along at the time the failure happened.

If you'd like to visit me - I have a GS911- and I'm sure by unplugging your antenna we could create an EWS fault.

I do rather suspect there isn't anything to "clear" - that if the fault no longer exists - the EWS will clear all by itself (after the time-out period) - it seems that's what happened to a number of people. The system may store a record of the event happening (dunno - haven't had a bike to scan that had the problem) - and the record can probably be "cleared" - but the GS911 isn't going to "fix" it so you can start the bike. Whatever caused the EWS message is what has to be fixed then the bike can be started.

As I said in another post to another thread . . . I hope my non-CANBUS, non-I-Drive, non-Chris Bangle BMW bikes and car (Z3) last a LONG time! ;)

Thanks Don for the offer, I myself just got the Mac and was wondering if by just clearing the error code would help. Just the thought of carrying a spare antenna and sorts just makes you want to sell the bike and get an older one. I love my modern bikes and just don't like the idea of stupid errors leaving you stranded.

Cheers

Frank

I love my modern bikes and just don't like the idea of stupid errors leaving you stranded.

I too, love my 1200GS, but miss the simplicity of my 1150. I'll be really PO'd if it strands me on a trip to Canada / Alaska or something. (or Richmond,CA :laugh )

Back