• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EWS Failure and Towing Nightmare (Merged multiple EWS threads)

Can anyone tell me the years affected by this? I have an 05 R12RT. Do I need to be concerned?

Robo

05 GS here and it seems, so far at least, that it is mainly 07 and 08 bikes that are having the majority of the problems. I'm guessing that if there is some type of recall that we won't even be included in the list of bikes covered. If we were included I don't think I'd have mine changed, I'd just take the spare, if that was allowed, and carry it with me.

BTW, I've read on another forum that someone has gotten the dreaded EWS with the new 247 antenna but it sounded like he hasn't actually gotten the bike fixed yet so there's always the possibility that something else is causing the problem.

Barry

The poster on the 'other' site mentions August '06 to March '08.

Now I'm worried. Although, no problems so far (crosses fingers) in 6k+. They must have installed an old unit in the factory.

Mine is a 10/06 production date ('07 model year..) and no problem in 15k miles, so far.. but I will be carrying a spare antenna ring with me next week when I head off to the wilds of West Virginia.. :laugh

See Law #2: http://www.eilenberger.net/laws.htm

The problems did seem to begin after the mid-06 changes. Of course most bikes will never see an issue, and if you have over 20K you would be the first to get one at those high miles that I know of.

Jim :brow

PS Where is Poolside to tell us that we can disable the system, IF we only knew how?:laugh

We had an EWS ring (a 207) fail on a K12S today. Took 5 minutes to plug the 247 ring in and 45 minutes to decide how to tie wrap it nice (obsessive compulsive).

Called my dealer today and asked about the ring recall. He ran my vin and told me my bike was involved. He asked if I was having a problem. I said no. He told me they had several bikes with problems they were trying to get to and would I mind waiting a couple weeks. I said no problem. Going in the beginning of August. Can't complain about that.

Well, mine was replaced on Thursday. No problems with this one or the last one. Hopefully, this is the cure for this issue.

i have a 08 rt. it hapened to me at 650 miles. the dealer told me it is happening to all of them. why they aren't replacing them before we spend 18k is beyond me.
2 days after it happened to me it also happened to a freind of mine with a 08 gt at about 1200 miles. great customer service huh!!!!

i have a 08 rt. it happened to me at 650 miles. the dealer told me it is happening to all of them. why they aren't replacing them before we spend 18k is beyond me.
2 days after it happened to me it also happened to a friend of mine with a 08 gt at about 1200 miles. great customer service huh!!!!

The campaign to replace them requires the dealers to complete the replacement on all the bikes in stock before delivering them. Of course, this puts quite a burden on the dealer just in time for the busiest time of the year and as well, the campaign just came out a week or two ago. To add to that, the dealer had to read all the "mail" from BMW to see the campaign as soon as it was "official". Surely some bikes got out before the rings were replaced. Regrettable and costly to all including BMW. I think understandable because if I were to guess, BMW had to be sure of the latest antenna ring before they told the dealers to replace 10,000 or so of them.

But damn...they run so well if they would only let us start the engines...

Called my dealer today and asked about the ring recall. He ran my vin and told me my bike was involved. He asked if I was having a problem. I said no. He told me they had several bikes with problems they were trying to get to and would I mind waiting a couple weeks. I said no problem. Going in the beginning of August. Can't complain about that.

Carry the new ring and a #10 torx wrench while you are waiting.

And, on second thought, carry the latest ring and torx after you have the newest ring...

Last edited:
Back