• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200R Windshield

Probably no help for you

Just how does the Z-Tech shield mount?

Looked for some pictures online and this was all I could come up with. That windshield looks sharp. I ordered the 20" Cee Baily because I already had the BMW touring bracket. Can't tell how it mounts from this shot. is this the one you are thinking about swall? Maybe someone can post some pictures of the mounting itself.

Z2405_Main.jpg

I really like this one!

Z-Tech Windshield

Swall, unfortunately I don't have pictures of the mounting.
But, to say the least, it's a pain in the neck to put this on, or to remove it.
You have to start off by removing handlebars (2 clamps, 4 bolts), then you need someone to hold the handlebars for you, while you remove the bolts from each side of the headlight bracket and installing (very carefully) the Z-Tech bracket. Then you put the handlebars back on, and at that point the battle starts with installing the windshield to the bracket.
The most aggravating part of the whole operation is to install paper-thin rubber gaskets between the brackets and try to aline everything together.
At that point, you would "bring many names of people that you particularly don't care for."
Like I said, it IS a pain!
The bracket is partially blocking the triple clamps and the ignition lock. And the whole assembly is not perfectly centered. When you look at the front of the motorcycle, the windshield and bracket is shifted about 3/4 of an inch to the left from it's center line. Most people would'nt notice this, but if you know it, it bothers you every time you look at it.
In my opinion the windshield works fairly good, but for my taste, it's too wide on top, and is about 2" too short.

-Gregory Turek

Last edited:
Thanks, GregoryT. Mounting the Z-Tech does not sound like a fun way to spend an evening! Sounds like the mount is a Rube Goldberg compared to the simple elegance of the BMW bracket. I think you guys are convincing me to look at the Cee-Bailey. Or maybe wait a bit--more options for the R1200R are sure to appear.

+1

Having seen it in person - it's even worse. The visual mass of the fairing overwhelms the rest of the bike.. makes it look out of proportion and very front heavy. It also looks 20-30 years old - which is when I was designed I believe..

The appeal of the Roadster for me is it looks modern, yet classic. Great lines best left alone if possible (although I'll admit to having sinned there and am using a great big 20" Cee-Bailey for winter use..)

+2

Dog ugly, too tall, and all out of proportion and shape to the modern R1200R!

Hannigan-r12r.jpg

Another angle.

It looks like they used the old molds, and made brackets to move it up to match the headlight.

Not an attractive look.

Jim :brow

PS This is what I want on my upcoming R1200R )Sport)

R1200RSport.jpg

or in black

R1200Rblack.jpg

If you're patient, I'm pretty sure Aeroflow will add the R1200R to their stable soon enough. If you get on their website and email them, I'm sure they'd tell you.

R1200R Sport

Jim Von Baden 1, the new R1200R sport ferring looks great. Do you know when and how much this bike will sell for? And, do you know if the ergonomics are the same as current R1200R?

P.S.
On the picture of the silver R1200R Sport, what kind of muffler is that? Is it stock or aftermarket?

G.T.

Last edited:
Greg - those photos are someones imagination combined with Photoshop.. the bikes don't exist. Be nice if they did.. but they're not for real.

R1200R Fairing

Greg - those photos are someones imagination combined with Photoshop.. the bikes don't exist. Be nice if they did.. but they're not for real.

I am suprised that they aren't for real. They look very BMW-like. Congratulations to those who showed excellent taste in design. They showed what the modern-motorcycle fairing should look like. If Hannigan, would hire those people, everyone would become a winner. They would sell a lot of fairings, and we would have great-looking bikes.

I am suprised that they aren't for real. They look very BMW-like.
I believe if you look at the silver one closely you'll see why they look very BMW-like.
Congratulations to those who showed excellent taste in design. They showed what the modern-motorcycle fairing should look like.
Well.. they do look nice on a K bike
If Hannigan, would hire those people, everyone would become a winner. They would sell a lot of fairings, and we would have great-looking bikes.
Indeed they would.. but I don't think that Hannigan can afford David Robb.. :)

http://www.bmwk1200s.com/Images/K1200R-Sport.jpg

:dance

K1200R Sport Fairing

There it is. No wonder it looked so good, you are absolutely right it's a K1200R Sport fairing.Maybe i should consider trading my R1200R for it.

The OEM BMW bracket came in for my winter windscreen, and I was pleasantly surprised to see it uses the same connecting points as the little OEM speedster screen's bracket. Someone must have used their noggin since designing the R1150R windscreens!

Meanwhile, Cee Bailey is bending aircraft plastic for me. It better *#%@!! fit! :)

Fred
'07 R1200R

20" fit perfect

I got a 20" Cee Baily's a couple weeks ago and it fit perfectly. Does a good job too.:clap

Don,

You were right. Go ahead and gloat.

I returned the 16-incher that was just delivered (c/o my dealer) for the 18-inch model. I'll need it for Sunday's blizzard.

Fred
'07 R1200R

Back