• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What are your top 5 CD's?

CZARNAZOO

I was updating my ipod and hard drive with music passed on by friends and thought - I need some new tunes. I have over 1,500 CD's from every genre saved here or there, but it seems like i've heard them all again and again.

So I thought - BMW MOA - mixed group - maybe I can poll the members to get some ideas.

Whatever genre you choose...
Jazz - not that new age instrumental stuff - I mean real Jazz
Blues
Reggae
Easy Listening
World Music from any nation
Classic Rock
New Rock of the 80's through present
Motorcycle Music - something that makes the miles go by
and anything else that starts you shaking

Thanks for the help.

Let's Begin:
1. Miles Davis - Nefertiti
2. Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
3. James Brown - Superbad
4. Neil Young - Comes a Time
5. Ani Difranco - So Much Shouting, So Much Laughter

Like my taste in most everything, it's eclectic. If pushed, I'd have to say some combination of classical and Rammstein. Love Chicago (especially when Cetera was still there and Kath was alive) and Led Zepplin, Rush, NIN, Missing Persons, Beatles (especially Harrison's "Inner Light") and similar. Still, it's hard to beat "Ode to Joy" from the 9th Symphony, "The Brandenburg Concertos," some of Tchaikovsky, and lots of Mozart.

All time favorite classical is "The Swan" by St. Saen.

Easier to answer lit.; all 19th c. Russian lit. all the time.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Top 5 CD's.

Rush exit stage left
Rush-Presto
Journey-Escape
Van Halen Diver Down
Van Halen 5150

However, I enjoy Toby Keith, Big N' Rich, Jim Crocce, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson and many great blues.

Good ones but too many others to mention . . .

Warren Zevon-Excitable Boy
Carlos Santana-Supernatural
Lou Reed-New York
Peter Frampton-Frampton Comes Alive!
Joe Cocker-Mad Dogs and Englishmen

Pick 5? It all depends on my mood. No way I can pick my 5 favs. They will change in an hour.

Only 5? How about my favorite 5 live albums...

Bob Seger- Live Bullet
Lyle Lovett- Live from Texas
Rolling Stones- Get yer ya-ya's out
Greatful Dead- Without a Net
Delbert McClinton - Live

5 albums that got me through adolescence:

Quadrophenia - The Who
Imperial Bedroom - Elvis Costello
Rum, Sodomy & The Lash - The Pogues
Squeezing Out Sparks - Graham Parker
Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen

5 that got me through college:

A Quiet Normal Life - Warren Zevon
Rain Dogs - Tom Waits
Life's Rich Pageant - R.E.M.
If I Should Fall From Grace With God - The Pogues
Minstrel In The Gallery - Jethro Tull

and 5 that have gotten me through the last 16 years:

A Night In San Francisco - Van Morrison
Late Night Betty - Pepe & The Bottle Blondes
Modern Cool - Patricia Barber
One Night Stand - Sam Cooke
Elis & Tom - Elis Regina & Antonio Carlos Jobim

I still listen to all of it.

I'm with Mongo on this.

But my 'five of the hour' would just be some goofy crap you guys don't wanna hear about anyway. :nyah

Top 5 albums on my iPod today

At last count, my iTunes play count shows:

1. Buena Vista Social Club by Ry Cooder et al.
2. Boss Nova Years by Stan Getz et al.
3. Gentleman of Leisure by Jesse Winchester
4. Must I Paint You a Picture? by Billy Bragg & The Blokes
5. Beethoven's Symphony #4 by Otto Klemperer & Philharmonia Orchestra

This list changes daily. Good luck!

AC/DC Back in Black
Pickin ON ...Lynrd Skynrd (Bluegrass)
ZZ TOP ..Fandango
Robert Earl Keen (can't remember the CD name..CRS)
Mother's Finest..Another Mother Further.:groovy :groovy

Nostalgic hits are fine BUT, if you're on a post 2005 K-Bike, ya gotta have The Nip / Tuck soundtrack!

Yanni - Live at the Acropolis
Rush - 2112, & Farewell to Kings
Led Zep - your choice
BTO - II
SRV - Texas Flood

Speaking of Zeppelin -- try "Pickin' on Zeppelin" (iTunes has it). Seminal heavy metal bluegrass? Listen -- it works, especially on a leisurely Sunday cruise (no twisties).

Then there's The Who's Quadrophenia. Sure, it's about "mods" on GS scooters, but it'll bring back your youthful angst -- good for commuter gridlock idling.

These are the current five I have in the Jeep's CD changer
1. Stone Sour "Come Whatever May"
2. Rush "Roll the Bones"
3. Three Days Grace "One X"
4. Iggy Pop "A Million in Prizes"
5. Van Halen "5150" or "1984" I can't decide

great suggestions

[QUOTE=crgrbrts;254435]Speaking of Zeppelin -- try "Pickin' on Zeppelin" (iTunes has it). Seminal heavy metal bluegrass? Listen -- it works, especially on a leisurely Sunday cruise (no twisties).

Then there's The Who's Quadrophenia. Sure, it's about "mods" on GS scooters, but it'll bring back your youthful angst -- good for commuter gridlock idling.[/QUOTE]

Pickin on Zepplin - great CD - there's more Picking CD's out there...Pickin on the Dead is another favorite.

I know 5 Cd's may be a little tough - because mine change by the day. When I left the states and sailed away to the Caribbean 11 years ago this month - we only had what fit in the boat...before the age of ipods. We had about 100 Cd's - and we picked those as our favorite to take along. There are many others - Bob Marley & Peter Tosh, Tito Puentes, Grateful Dead, Santana, Muddy Waters, CSN, Police and many Bluegrass selections.

The five that I chose were the first five that came to mind when starting the thread. I've already started listening to a few of the selections that came in yesterday. Thanks for the suggestions.

take five

1. Dave Brubeck "Time Out" featuring "Take Five"
2. ''Dizzy's Big Four" featuring Diz', Joe Pass, Ray Brown Mickey Roker (Original Jazz Classics label) w a terrific version of "Another Night in Tunisia"
3. "Sounds From The Verve HI-Fi" compliled by Thievery Corporation.. a great compilation w a terrific range of performances from Getz to Wes to Sergio Mendez and Willie Bobo
4. The Ahmad Jamal Trio "The Awakening" (Impluse)
5. Bill Evans "Alone" absolute genius solo piano
...and one to make it a baker's half dozen
5.5. Junior Brown "Guit With It" some of the best Texas guitar palying, singing and surprises you'll ever hear. Look on line.. he produced himself

Where?

1. Dave Brubeck "Time Out" featuring "Take Five"
2. ''Dizzy's Big Four" featuring Diz', Joe Pass, Ray Brown Mickey Roker (Original Jazz Classics label) w a terrific version of "Another Night in Tunisia"
3. "Sounds From The Verve HI-Fi" compliled by Thievery Corporation.. a great compilation w a terrific range of performances from Getz to Wes to Sergio Mendez and Willie Bobo
4. The Ahmad Jamal Trio "The Awakening" (Impluse)
5. Bill Evans "Alone" absolute genius solo piano
...and one to make it a baker's half dozen
5.5. Junior Brown "Guit With It" some of the best Texas guitar palying, singing and surprises you'll ever hear. Look on line.. he produced himself

Where do yu find this stuff? I found a Dave Brubeck Best of cd at Borders in florida once. And Monk in Paris at the same time. But some of theis other stuff I have a hard time finding . I am also a bit (very) leary of ordering anything online. As for a top five, after the crash We will have to put Rush's Snakes and Arrows first. (working them angels OVERTIME!!!)
2. Monk in Paris
3. Big bad VOODOO daddies (can't remember album name)
4. Hemispheres by Rush
5. SRV Live at Carnigie Hall

:brow

Mine, too, change daily and paring it down to a mere five is really difficult. But with the recent appearance of really huge anthology sets and the release of old materials, it's a little easier. So try these (from an old rocker):

1. Faces - Five Guys Walk Into A Bar. A 5-cd compendium of everything you could possibly want to hear from Rod Stewart & Faces.

2. Mott the Hoople Live (30th Anniversary Edition) Two very different shows from a wildly underrated band (in the US) that, like The Who, was always better live. :rocker

3. The Who - pretty much anything live. Live at Leeds Deluxe (the whole show from which "the best live rock album ever recorded" was made), Live at the Isle of Wight (1970), or any of a number of their 2-cd Encore sets from tours in 2002 and later. Just steer away from Join Together, the live 'Vegas act' crap they were doing in 1989 when Pete Townshend wasn't actually playing lead.

4. Patty Smyth - Greatest Hits - Featuring Scandal - this will get you most of what I loved from the '80s. Patty. :heart

5. A tough call for a fifth. OK; today it's Queen - Greatest Hits I, II, & III. Although, frankly, I can get by with Volume I alone. ;)

Of course it's Jazz and yes it's the new stuff like Boney james but my favorite of lat is Paul Taylor Jazz 2002

Always a tough call

But, for today, and in no particular order:
John Coltrane "Coltrane Plays the Blues"
B.B. King "Live at the Regal"
Jimi Hendrix "Electric Ladyland"
Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"
Neville Brothers "Live on Planet Earth"

Back