• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

07 IBR Bonus: Lick Observatory

J

JWHITE518

This is a repost of a ride report that I wrote to the LDRider mailing list. For those of you who didn't follow this year's Iron Butt Rally, James Lick Observatory on Mount Hamilton in San Jose, California, was a very large bonus location. I post it here for the MOA fans of our own Boxergrrlie.

189019386-M.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was lucky enough to be able to visit Mt. Ham for two hours yesterday morning. The weather was gorgeous. I was happy for those riders to have a break from the monsoons they rode through last week. My main goal was to visit with my friend Paul Peloquin, who's in the rally. Other than that I wanted just to hang out, hear some stories, absorb the atmosphere, help where I could, and above all not get in the way.

On the ride up the hill I came upon Richard Keegan riding his GL1800, shipped from Dublin for the IBR. It was really thrilling to see that blue bike with the Irish plate, which I had last seen in the Doubletree parking lot the day the rally started. Now here he was in my own back yard. What a contrast.

Arriving at the observatory about a half hour before it opened for business, there were already about a dozen riders there. People were milling around, taking advantage of a break. No tension in the air. Riding gear off, cell phones out, looking for shade on the warm morning. Even though it was quite possible for people to have taken their bonus photos at any time, everyone respected the stated 9:00 hour. No enforcement was required, good sportsmanship was in evidence from everyone.

By 9:10, nearly all of the riders were gone. One or two remained, who weren't in that big a hurry. Jeff Earls in particular surprised me. I expected a big dog like him to have his rally face on. But he relaxed, ate something, laid down in the shade. He said he had some time in his plan, the prior day had been very tough, and he was using the break time. For the remainder of my time there, riders trickled in and out. It was really great hearing the stories they told for Dean's videotape. In the slow moments I chatted with volunteer Tim Weltz.

I don't want to tell people's stories for them, so here are some stories to listen for:

The Kappenbergers went into a ditch to avoid a deer. Their Wing looks pretty good considering what happened.

Brian Roberts, how many times did the Worlds Most Expensive V-Strom go down during the rally?

Bristlecone Pine: That ride was a bitch for everybody except Tom Melchild, who seemed to think it wasn't that bad. (Tom's not even on a GS.)

Matt Watkins and Rebecca Vaughan's first experiences lane sharing in California.

The goat track that was the road to the top of Mt. Hamilton. Many riders, unused to that kind of riding, were gingerly negotiating the curves.

One way I got involved was to take a few peoples' bonus photos for them. That was fun. Rebecca Vaughn was very sweet. After I snapped her shot, she said, "Take another." I was confused, because I was sure the first was good. When I handed her the camera and the pictures, and she handed me the second one and said, "This is for you." Thanks for the souvenir, RV. :)

Another way I "helped" was to provide a bit of local routing knowledge. I heard later from Paul that my advice was good. He had snagged everything he went after, and made good time. However I'm still worrying about Brett Donohue and Marty Leir ÔÇô was the back way to Livermore faster than the GPS way? [Ed: Marty won the rally, Brett was third. I'm not worrying any more.] Finally ÔÇô I observed two people, Vicki Johnston and someone else, take their bonus photos in such a way that they didn't meet the bonus requirements. They would have lost huge points at the scoring table. After a brief internal debate, I suggested they review their photos against the documentation. They realized their errors and went back and bagged the points. I leave it to the IBR etiquette gods to judge whether those activities were within bounds of proper spectator behavior. I've either done the right thing, or firmly cemented my reputation as a doofus.

And now I return to the Star-Traxx page and the LDRider list to watch the rally finish along with the rest of the Worlds Toughest Spectators (tm).

Photos here: http://jwhite518.smugmug.com/gallery/3383741/1/189019232

Hiya, RV! Great to see you in the rally. But my feelings are hurt -- when we were at Mt. Ham, you didn't go over and check out my RS. What -- you were preoccupied? That's no excuse. :)

But seriously, that post you just wrote is really good. I've never done a multi day rally yet, but in my mind you have summarized what I need to learn. A 24 hour rally is a sprint, fatigue doesn't really come into it. But over the long haul you need to manage time, distance, fuel, and REST. Thanks for your wisdom.

BTW, I wrote a ride report and published pix of the Lick Observatory morning. You're featured prominently! I suppose I oughta publish it here on the MOA forum, eh?

Congratulations on your great IBR finish. And what the hell does it mean to have your **** in one sock?

Jerry
Geez I feel like a moron for not checking out your bike Jerry!!!! Yes, I was distracted. And fairly focused. :)

It was great to meet you at the IBR start this after years of PMs about our RSs here on the forum. Your advice led me to purchase my BLM fuel cell and I love it.

And then to see you at the observatory was also wonderful - it was nice to see a friendly face and thanks for taking my bonus picture. I really liked your report. Thanks for sharing it here. As far as you helping the riders, I am solidly in the 'Not A Doofus' camp. You did the right thing. :nod

As far as having your **** in one sock, to me it means having ones act completely, ridiculously, bulletproofedly together. And for me, it is necessary to have my **** in one sock when getting ready for and going through all of the pre-ride inspections and meetings at the IBR. Once out on the road, whether it stays in one sock is a completely different matter. :)

How'd you like that ride up to the top? :ha

Now you know why we all laugh when people say "there are twisties in the heartland".

Now you know why we all laugh when people say "there are twisties in the heartland".
I'll tell you Dave, I was so far out of my comfort zone on that road it was just silly.

I'll tell you Dave, I was so far out of my comfort zone on that road it was just silly.

If I remember correctly, the speed limit on that road is 55. The cops stand up at the observatory and watch for riders crossing the double yellow, then write them tickets when they get there. :ha

one of my all time favorite roads, i especially love the east slope and riding through the san antonio valley and on up to livermore.

y'all are lucking in california.

ian

one of my all time favorite roads, i especially love the east slope and riding through the san antonio valley and on up to livermore.

ian

Yeah. Mines Road is pretty swell, too.

I can't agree with Vision more!! Having lived there for 8 years I used to ride from work in Sunnyvale over Hamilton and on to Livermore at least once a month. We did club rides over this as well as Mt Diablo a couple of times a year. The back way has much less traffic!! :clap

And now I'm in Tex Sucks.:cry

ian

I've been to the Dragon; I hope it keeps attracting most of those folks.

And it's not just CA; WA and OR have some really awesome roads as well. Not to mention ID and UT and CO.

I now realize how blessed we Californians are to have roads like that as our home territory. After seeing first hand how everybody struggled up and down the mountain, and reading posts now coming in from IBR riders how much they hated that road, it's a real eye opener.

This is not a brag but just a fact: I think that road is fun, not difficult. It's not because I know it by heart. Last week was the first time I've ridden up the front side, usually I take Mines Road in and go down the San Jose way. No, it's just that there are roads like that all over the state. When you live here you get good at that kind of riding.

Now all you flat-staters - move here and improve your riding skills! Home prices are falling right now, we need a bump. :)

I now realize how blessed we Californians are to have roads like that as our home territory. After seeing first hand how everybody struggled up and down the mountain, and reading posts now coming in from IBR riders how much they hated that road, it's a real eye opener.

This is not a brag but just a fact: I think that road is fun, not difficult. It's not because I know it by heart. Last week was the first time I've ridden up the front side, usually I take Mines Road in and go down the San Jose way. No, it's just that there are roads like that all over the state. When you live here you get good at that kind of riding.

Now all you flat-staters - move here and improve your riding skills! Home prices are falling right now, we need a bump. :)

:nod

I'm a FAR better rider now than when I moved here. That stuff becomes fun and you realize that 2nd gear is a good friend.

Hey Darryl - I was in Santa Cruz at the boardwalk for a bonus on the IBR. It was just last week but it already feels like a long time ago.

After doing just a day or so on those roads I found that I was moving along faster and more confidently. I'd like to come back and ride more in CA when I am not in a rally situation.

Hey Darryl - I was in Santa Cruz at the boardwalk for a bonus on the IBR. It was just last week but it already feels like a long time ago.

After doing just a day or so on those roads I found that I was moving along faster and more confidently. I'd like to come back and ride more in CA when I am not in a rally situation.

Fungal Ride. 10/20.

What's it like? Road from Hell, eh? Twisty gravel? Pike's peak like...or paved?

I wish I'd have known -- I would have been happy to provide some of that "local knowledge" that seems to have the Rally Mistress so peeved. ;)

If you come out for the Fungal, or really, anytime you're riding around the country, you're welcome here on your way in or back out. California has a lot of great riding and I'd be proud to be able to show some of it off.

If you like Mt. Hamilton, you'd love Fergusson Nacimiento Rd. above Big Sur, or CA-1 out by Mt. Tamalpais. But if you make the Fungal Ride, you'd have to take CA-36, it's really excellent.

What's it like? Road from Hell, eh? Twisty gravel? Pike's peak like...or paved?

The Mt. Hamilton road was constructed specifically so horse wagons could carry the glass up to the Lick Observatory. I recall reading it was a three day trip. The road has tons of switchbacks, they tend to be fairly low camber and you can count on many of them having significant amounts of dirt or gravel in them.

The back side is more open, but there are still a lot of switchbacks at the top, and the road surface tends to be oily. Once you get downhill a ways, it becomes San Antonio Valley Rd. and is flatter, but still very wiggly, as it passes through and over a bunch of little arroyos. It ends at a 3 way junction, where The Junction store and restaurant stands. Popular biker hangout.

If you turn right on Del Puerto Canyon, you'll go out to I-5, the central valley, and specifically, Patterson. This road tends to be a bit dirty and have some debris on it. If you continue straight, you'll be on Mines Rd., a really great, swoopy road out to Liverwurst... I mean, Livermore.

Hard to say, they are different. Pikes Peak is difficult because it's unpaved, and some of the switchbacks are pretty steep. But it's mainly a straight line between the hairpins. Mt Hamilton is more complex, a lot of twists and turns and elevation changes. But it's paved so for me inspires more confidence.

Back