• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any news of a F800 GS?

I was at the BMW dealership in Tampa yesterday. The salesman said the 800GS should be in by March . He thinks the price will be around 12 grand.

I'm just curious. Why would you prefer an 800GS over a 1200GS? I had a 650GS and liked it a lot but it was just a bit smaller than I wanted. I don't understand if the 800GS would be that much of a step up from the 650. I appreciate your comments.

Ray

off the record ....

Yeah, right... off the record!

I have caught wind of a F800GS press event to be held in March 2008 in the U.S. Stay tuned for updates ... but that means it will be available in the U.S. sometime in 08.

Vince

I'm just curious. Why would you prefer an 800GS over a 1200GS? I had a 650GS and liked it a lot but it was just a bit smaller than I wanted. I don't understand if the 800GS would be that much of a step up from the 650. I appreciate your comments.

Ray

The appeal the idea of an F800GS is it answers the Goldie Locks problem. I am a large man and the F650 seems a bit small to handle my long range riding with gear and me on board. The R-GS can handle that with little or no problem but the bike is a bit ponderous. The F800GS offers the hope for the power to make getting there enjoyable, lightness to make it fun once you arrive to play and the platform to hang it all together on.

The engine is up to it. The anticipated weight is right. My question is will the ergonomics of the bike work.

Vince-
If you attend the press release in March '08, that means maybe June 08 ON will have a writeup on it???

Imagine a 650 thats maybe 20-30 lbs lighter.
30-35 more HP.
Excellent range per tank ~250 miles+.
Good seat height.
Great clearance.
Better suspension.
Smoother engine response.
21" front tire.
Lacking FDF possibilitiy.

So you see why I must own one...

It very well could turn out to be the best "Long way: Down/Over/through/Up/Out any which way but loose, Bike..."

ich habe ein in der Garage..

schneller,
schneller!

Imagine a 650 thats maybe 20-30 lbs lighter.
30-35 more HP.
Excellent range per tank ~250 miles+.
Good seat height.
Great clearance.
Better suspension.
Smoother engine response.
21" front tire.
Lacking FDF possibilitiy.

We can imagine all we want, the truth is that bike would leave the "faithful" with nothing to complain about!:D

My bet is the real thing will have too little range for some, be too high for most, and have a suspension that's going to require work for serious off-roading.
None of it neccesarily "deal breakers" but I doubt it's going to be "THE BEST BIKE EVAAR" either.

IIRC, a dealer posted in the ADVRider thread, or maybe it was on the F800 site, that he'd actually ridden one at a dealer intro in EU. And yes Martha, it's set for release at EICMA in November.

You missd something in this Morning Reads!

Paris Mondial 2007: BMW

They did mention that in a few weeks I presume in Milan Eicma), they will be presenting 4 new models, based on the new F800 series, probably the long awaited GS version.

In a few weeks ... Stay Tuned!

Number4.jpg
new models!

BMWWorship.gif

snoopy.gif

Last edited:
I asked Bob at Bob's BMW when it was coming. He said he wished he knew! Most likely not until spring.

I think we can safely assume that BMW will reveal R and GS versions of the F800.

So what other variants would they produce? Maybe something like a smaller Megamoto? Maybe one with a really low seat height to help get people on BMWs? Maybe an RT style full coverage bike? Maybe something like a smaller HP2?

I asked Bob at Bob's BMW when it was coming. He said he wished he knew! Most likely not until spring.

If there's a spring press viewing, that would jive with an introduction in the next few weeks. Figure late spring/early summer for dealer release.

I think we can safely assume that BMW will reveal R and GS versions of the F800.

So what other variants would they produce? Maybe something like a smaller Megamoto? Maybe one with a really low seat height to help get people on BMWs? Maybe an RT style full coverage bike? Maybe something like a smaller HP2?

But me down for a new F-800-RT. :dance

F800RT v. F800GS

:doh
My decision just became harder.... on the wallet....
I'll have to get both!
:D

And the 450
Starting the cradle to the grave mentality.

Attachments

• BMWG450X2007.jpg
    BMWG450X2007.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 266
That 650 and 800 look to me like versions of the same bike- too bad I can't quite read the lettering on one of them. But in any case, they look good and I like the way some styling-cues give them some resemblance to the 1200- makes the GS's seem more like a family.

Back