• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire repair kit?

OfficerImpersonator

Seattle-area Rounder
Anyone find an inexpensive set of basic tools (reamer, rasp, plugger), a set of the sticky plugs and a little carrying case out there?

I don't need/want a pump. I just need the plugs and the necessary tools to install them should I get another puncture.

The best I found was a cheap set at Wal-Mart with Monkey Grip glue. Worked great at speeds, set up almost instantly. Still working 6months later.

Here's one source (chosen for its alphabetical order only):

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2120

All of the online BMW motorcycle dealers (Bob's BMW, Chicago BMW, Max BMW, Sierra, etc.) carry the same little kit and they're all priced around $22.00 to $25.00.
Of course, you can buy a "sticky string" kit at an auto parts store for about three bucks, but I've had uneven success with those on bike tires. The string works okay if the puncture's in the "trough" of the tread, but not on the tread surface (in MY experience, anyway). The BMW donut plug, when combined with its companion vulcanizing cement, provides an excellent repair.

I have had excellent experience with the Stop 'n Go Pcoket Tire Plugger. It comes in a small zipper pouch. The procedure is a bit fiddly, but it needs no cement (the tube of which is always dried out by the time I need it). A friend used my kit in the parking lot of a motel and in 15 minutes he was ready to ride.

1000x823.jpg

I have the Stop-'N-Go kit also, as well as the stringy stuff and some patches that go on the inside of the tire in case the hole is too big for the other plugging devices. The latter would require tire removal but at that point there is no choice anyway...

I have had excellent experience with the Stop 'n Go Pcoket Tire Plugger. It comes in a small zipper pouch. The procedure is a bit fiddly, but it needs no cement (the tube of which is always dried out by the time I need it). A friend used my kit in the parking lot of a motel and in 15 minutes he was ready to ride.

1000x823.jpg

It's not clear for the photo, is there a means to inflate the tire included w/ the Stop 'n Go Pocket Tire Plugger?

Thx,

Len

It's not clear for the photo, is there a means to inflate the tire included w/ the Stop 'n Go Pocket Tire Plugger?

Thx,

Len
No, you have to supply your own means of inflation. I've got a 12V air pump that used to be inside a bulky plastic case, which cost me about $10 at Kragens.

photo sheet available

the Stop-n-Go kit is excellent but the written directions are somewhat difficult to follow. I noted that the company gave away a photo version of the steps at the West Bend rally. This solved the only issue I have had with the unit. I'm sure they would provide one through the mail or electronically if requested.

Thx,

Len

Mine came with 4 C02 cartridges and an adapter to fill the tire. I have not had a chance to practice with it yet, I just got it last week.

Mark

Stop & Go tire plug kit with the Cycle Pump; these never leave the saddle bags except to use for repair of tires.

swap co2 for air

If you elect to use CO2 to inflate the tire, be sure to swap it for air at your first opportunity (the CO2 leaks out slowly)

Back