• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Key West to Prudhoe Bay (and back)

RogerA

Continually Confused
Kathy and I Just got back - 12,300 miles round trip.

DSCN0854.JPG

Starting point in Key West

DSCN0868.JPG

First rest day - Yellowstone

DSCN0897.JPG

Yellowstone Moose

DSCN0926.JPG

DSCN0931.JPG

Somewhere near the start of the Dalton Highway - a really nice road.... when it's dry

DSCN0936.JPG

Arctic Circle (Dalton Highway)

DSCN0946.JPG

Igloo #8 in Wiseman (Dalton Highway) - this is a GREAT place to stay, much better than Coldfoot which is 14 miles south of Wiseman

DSCN0949.JPG

Atigun Pass (Dalton Highway) - they were working on the road a few miles further on, which means dumping a few thousand gallons of water on the calcium carbide, and then stirring it into a wet slimey mess. It's great when it dries.

DSCN0952.JPG

Made it!!

DSCN0959.JPG

DSCN0960.JPG

DSCN0966.JPG

View of McKinley/Denali from Talkeetna - apparently only 30% of visitors get to see the peak - when we arrived there wasn't a cloud in the sky, a few rolled in for the picture.

DSCN0973.JPG

Took a flight around the mountains - the glaciers are amazing - well worth doing.

DSCN1019.JPG

Not often that you see a traffic jam caused by Buffalo crossing the road

DSCN1036.JPG

Back to the start of the Alaska (Alcan) Highway

Encore!

More story, please.

:clap :clap

My dad's up there right now, with his fifth wheel trailer.

Congrats on a great ride and thanks for sharing it with us!

Here's the route:

Route.jpg

From Key West we headed over to Yellowstone, the first couple of days were all freeway - a bit boring. 600-700 miles a day.

After a day off in Yellowstone, we headed up through Montana into Canada, great sections of fast curves on the freeway.

Canada was flat until we reach British Columbia - what a change, wildlife everywhere, a brown bear ran across ther road in front of us, sheep, buffalo, moose.

Once we got into the Yukon, great scenery, but no wildlife at all.

Alaska form the border to Fairbanks was the same, no wildlife visible.

We spent two nights at Chino Hot Springs, great hot springs, the staff could have been friendlier. The day we spent in Fairbanks getting tires changed to TKC-80's. George at Trails End BMW was busy with another 2 GS's (another couple travelling with us), so we went over to the Harley Dealership, "Scooter" got us sorted out.

The trip up to Wiseman was relatively easy. If you don;t stay at Igloo #8 in Wiseman you are missing out. The Wiseman general store has a jar, take what you want, leave the money in the jar, and a sign that says "if it looks old, it's not for sale".

We took a day going from Wiseman to Prudhoe Bay, spent the night there and then another day back to Wiseman. It can be done quicker (if the conditions are favorable). but why push it.

After getting back to Fairbanks we spent 4 days in Talkeetna - a really neat town.

DSCN1001.JPG

The flight up to the glacier was well worth the time and money.

I bought 4 tires for the trip back in Anchorage (carrying 4 tires + 2 3gal gas cans is interesting) and we headed to Tok and then to Dawson City. Just a note, the border is open 8 am to 8pm.

We changed the tires in Whitehorse (Yukon Honda - John could not have been more helpful)

After that it was a rush to get home.

Another couple of pics

DSCN0948.JPG

DSCN0928.JPG

very impressive...looks like fun and thanks for sharing.:type

Impressive trip, no doubt with impressive planning. Living in south FLA, I feel the distance of the trip...we have to start any trip from the End Of The Earth.:) Glad you had a safe one, and thanks for sharing. I'm envious.

one day

Kathy and I Just got back - 12,300 miles round trip.

DSCN0854.JPG

Starting point in Key West

DSCN0868.JPG

First rest day - Yellowstone

DSCN0897.JPG

Yellowstone Moose

DSCN0926.JPG

DSCN0931.JPG

Somewhere near the start of the Dalton Highway - a really nice road.... when it's dry

DSCN0936.JPG

Arctic Circle (Dalton Highway)

DSCN0946.JPG

Igloo #8 in Wiseman (Dalton Highway) - this is a GREAT place to stay, much better than Coldfoot which is 14 miles south of Wiseman

DSCN0949.JPG

Atigun Pass (Dalton Highway) - they were working on the road a few miles further on, which means dumping a few thousand gallons of water on the calcium carbide, and then stirring it into a wet slimey mess. It's great when it dries.

DSCN0952.JPG

Made it!!

DSCN0959.JPG

DSCN0960.JPG

DSCN0966.JPG

View of McKinley/Denali from Talkeetna - apparently only 30% of visitors get to see the peak - when we arrived there wasn't a cloud in the sky, a few rolled in for the picture.

DSCN0973.JPG

Took a flight around the mountains - the glaciers are amazing - well worth doing.

DSCN1019.JPG

Not often that you see a traffic jam caused by Buffalo crossing the road

DSCN1036.JPG

Back to the start of the Alaska (Alcan) Highway

my gawd! i'd be in heaven doing 1/10 of your trip! i feel lucky to be able to take the "long way" to work on my k-gt right now. loved your pictures...:clap

Congrats. Great pics and report. Headed up there next May myself. Salute!

Back