• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200R Switched Power Source

FredRydr

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft
Has anyone discovered a good switched power source for about 1/10 watt draw? It will be used for 12-volt power for my Quest2 GPS mounted next to my left mirror.

Thanks.

Fred

On GF's bro in laws R12R, we used the parking light to trigger relays on Motolites...had to drill a tiny hole in R's headlight bucket since they no longer have a rubber grommet to slide wire thru. 15k plus miles and no issues, sealed hole w/silicon and soldered the relay lead into power lead ahead of connector to bulb.
I doubt the low current on Quest would be an issue,your talking very small
On my RT. I just fused it straight off battery to the Quest QR bracket and take unit w/ me when outa sight

There is a GPS power wire tied off to the frame.. I believe (haven't looked for it) on the right side of the bike, under the plastic in front of the tank. BMW sells a cable for it for LOTS of $$$ to connect to their GPS (Navigator-III). Hermy's BMW in PA has the "repair connector" for it - the connector and a pigtail for lots less $$$ (around $20.) It's PN: 83300413585

There is a thread on an R1200R specific forum about it: http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=8841

HTH,

There is a GPS power wire tied off to the frame...
Thanks Don.

The speed signal wire makes sense. My local dealer got a new BMW-branded Zumo ($1,000 - in black plastic instead of grey) which plugs into the bike and does various calculations.

Now, I wonder what current load canbus assumes that wire is supposed to handle? Wouldn't it be nice for all handlebar-area low-powered accessories?

Fred

There is a GPS power wire tied off to the frame.. I believe (haven't looked for it) on the right side of the bike, under the plastic in front of the tank. BMW sells a cable for it for LOTS of $$$ to connect to their GPS (Navigator-III). Hermy's BMW in PA has the "repair connector" for it - the connector and a pigtail for lots less $$$ (around $20.) It's PN: 83300413585

There is a thread on an R1200R specific forum about it: http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=8841

HTH,

Every dealer got a "repair package" auto shipped should they should all have that connector available if they haven't needed it yet or ordered extras. As well, there are only three wires, switched ground, the center one which might be rear wheel speed??, and the brown one which is ground. So you could also tap into the harness if needed. It's sometimes hard to find but it's there. Has a dummy plug in it and securely taped to the larger harness at the steering head...usually underneath that.

So tell us more about this BMW-branded Zumo.
The local dealer pulled some strings for a customer, and was handing it across the counter to him when I was there. It is BMW's next generation of BMW-branded Garmin GPS navigation, presumably replacing the obsolete BMW-branded StreetPilot now being discounted.

When the guy pulled it out of the very Garmin looking box, it was a Zumo but all black plastic housing, instead of the Zumo normal grey and black, and it plugs into the latest BMW model bikes' cables (described above and in the linked threads) for data exchange for some calculations (though my R1200R's computer does them already). BMW list was $999 or somesuch.

And that's all I know.

Fred

Last edited:
Back