• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

When is it "time" for valve adjustment?

kentuvman

Hi fellow F650 enthusiasts . . .

I bought mine last year with 2400 miles - a '03 GS - Now has 6200 miles.

Is it time to have the valves adjusted? I notice when de-accellerating, I do get a slight popping sound here and there but only after a long ride.

I live in MN and could take it to the BMW dealer unless someone knows of an independent BMW mechanic who knows the rotax and is good.

Looked at the video on Utube on how to adjust the valves and it looks like more than I am up for.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

The F650 is on a 6K maintenance schedule, so yes, it is time to check your valve clearances and change the oil.

You've seen the video, now surf on over to f650.com and introduce yourself. Then take a long look through the technical FAQs for more information than you'll know what to do with.

FWIW, checking the valves for clearance is relatively easy and you might find they are just fine. Changing shims is a bit more work (the hardest part for me was the math) but the Chain Gang distributes a very nice DVD set that when used in conjunction with the FAQS will get you through just about any evolution. (A tip of the hat to Flash for all the work he did on both those enterprises)

Valve check/adjust

I have an '03 Dakar that I bought used with about 4,300 miles on it. I checked the valves at 6,000 miles to get a baseline for the future. Lo and behold all four shims needed replacing. One size thinner. I can't find a record noting if they were checked at the 600 mile service.

The good thing with an '03 is that the shims are over the bucket and not under the bucket. What's that mean....well if you have more dexterity them me, you would be able to change the shims without removing the cams.

I find it harder and more time consuming to get everything removed from above the valve cover, than it is to check/change the shims.

Hi fellow F650 enthusiasts . . .

I bought mine last year with 2400 miles - a '03 GS - Now has 6200 miles.

Is it time to have the valves adjusted? I notice when de-accellerating, I do get a slight popping sound here and there but only after a long ride.

I live in MN and could take it to the BMW dealer unless someone knows of an independent BMW mechanic who knows the rotax and is good.

Looked at the video on Utube on how to adjust the valves and it looks like more than I am up for.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Where in MN? In Minneapolis there is Roy's Repair (Lew) is actually the owner. They do Dyno and have worked on my 85 Kbike so I don't think he would have a problem with valves.

Good luck.

Back