• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

07 RT Engine Guards

HIWAYMIKE

I just received my new BMW "plastic" engine guards. They sure are nice and light weight. I hope they are reasonably strong.

After reading the installation directions I am a bit confused. They seem to tell you to remove quite a few upper body parts just to get at a plastric screw? Is this necessary to get at one of the mounting screw locations? I have not been out in the garage tonight to study the bike. I was hoping to hear from other here to "just follow the directions because each step is necessary". If you can add any comments that better explain WHY I need to do so many things it would be a bonus!

I guess I am a little uncomfortable starting to tear into my new RT even though the parts they tell you to remove seem pretty easy to reinstall.:wow

Thanks,

Engine Guards

I installed my guards a month ago. The side panels are easy to remove and require removal of 4 or five screws per side. It's about a 30 minute job.

My suggestion would be that if you can get to them without removing a lot of stuff, go for it. It they are allen screws, and I don't recall if they are, a ball end wrench is very handy.

Take a look then you can probably answer the question directly. If I recall correctly I did not remove any tupperware to install on my 03, and thats a very good thing because that model has a LOT of screws to take out!

They are all torx screws, removing the tupperware is no big deal once you have done it. You may as well learn how to remove it now and you will need a torx set to do it. You could install them with a set of short stubby torx which you can get a Home Depot and use them with a wrench without removing the tupperware but again, it's no big deal once you've done it.

Chuck

You may also want to check out the threat "Crash bars/cylinder & case protection for R1200Rt " in the Hexheads forum. I'm hearing the plastic ones will protect if you fall in grass or gravel. Lots of options on that thread.

I just ordered the Wunderlich crash bars along with the saddle bag protection - unfortunately...it's a day too late :banghead

----
'07 R1200 RT

Hexheads!

Zippoh,

Thanks for the advice. I voted for the hexheads forum and I didn't even notice that it was up and running!

:usa

I have an 05RT and installed the plastic engine guards without having to take apart any of the side panels. I used standard allen wrenches and it worked fine. However, I have pretty thin hands that can fit into some of the tights places between the cylinders and the fairing. Something to consider...

Great Dealer!

I just took my 07'Rt in for my 600 mile service and the dealer installed the engine guards for no extra cost. He said he had to take the head covers off to check the valves and re-torque the heads so why not put the guards on while they are putting it back together!

BMW of Orlando is a very good dealership!:p

Back