• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacement Battery:'87 K75C

st3ryder

As one from a Greater Toronto area BMW dealer is 247.00 plus 15% applicable sales taxes, 284.05 cdn, I guess I'm looking for an alternative. Any suggestions?

TIA,

Frank.

There is a lot of info and debate on this but I very recently got a Panasonic battery from Digikey in the states for my '88 K100 and have had very good luck.
It's a sealed lead acid shipped ready to go. Part number P231-ND, I got it delivered for ~$65 US.
It's considerably smaller than the Yuasa that it replaced and I don't think that the battery trays on the 75 is any different from the 100's IIRC.

As one from a Greater Toronto area BMW dealer is 247.00 plus 15% applicable sales taxes, 284.05 cdn, I guess I'm looking for an alternative. Any suggestions?

TIA,

Frank.

I've converted completely to sealed (AGM) batteries. I've been using Westco batteries, but I believe they are the same Panasonic batteries as sold by DigiKey and some others.
http://www.westcobattery.com/battery_page.php?bid=6&vid=1&mid=450

The Westco battery for the K100/K75 is just a bit taller than stock, so I made an extension for the right hand battery hold down bolt, and a spacer to take up the gap so the coolant surge tank is held in place.

That sounds complicated, but I just bought an extra hold-down bolt and an extra rubber piece that holds the top of the surge tank. Went to the hardware store and found a short coupler with the same threads as the battery bolt, measured and cut some of the threads off the bolt I was going to use and cut all the threads off the donor bolt, then screwed them together with the coupler, and a drop of Loctite (after making sure the length was right). You have to do final assembly of the extended bolt *through* the battery hold-down top plate. AMHIK!

For the surge tank holder, there's a bump on the top of the tank which goes into a matching indentation on the bottom of the rubber bumper. Slice off part of the bottom of the bumper you are going to use, then cut off the appropriate length of the bottom of the donor bumper and glue together with super glue.

Sounds like a bit of work (maybe it is) but when done all is tight like stock and then you are set to easily use that type of battery in the future. If you ever go back to the stock size battery you can put everything back like it was.

The Westco battery for the K100/K75 is just a bit taller than stock, so I made an extension for the right hand battery hold down bolt, and a spacer to take up the gap so the coolant surge tank is held in place.

Or, .... you could just flip the holddown strap over, move the rubber bumper thing to the otherside and and reinstall everything. Works for me.

Or, .... you could just flip the holddown strap over, move the rubber bumper thing to the otherside and and reinstall everything. Works for me.

I could not get that to work on my K100, and had to add a threaded extension like Greg mentions. It looks like it should work that way, but I couldn't make it happen.

Also, for a K75, I wouldn't bother with a big battery anyway. The 20amp unit works just fine.

I could not get that to work on my K100, and had to add a threaded extension like Greg mentions. It looks like it should work that way, but I couldn't make it happen.

Also, for a K75, I wouldn't bother with a big battery anyway. The 20amp unit works just fine.

Yeah, I looked for an easier way to get the taller Panasonic battery to fit and couldn't find how I could. Maybe flipping the hold-down plate will solve the surge tank clearance problem. I'll have to take another look.

As for battery size, I like to have "extra" that I don't ever hope to need. However, if your bike has ABS I believe you might need the full sized battery to power the ABS under some circumstances.

TIA,

Frank.

That seems like a lot. I got a BMW gel battery last year for $113 US.

At least on a K75, flipping the holddown strap works with the smaller 20 AH Panasonic because the battery tray has a recess that just fits the smaller battery, allowing it to sit maybe 1/8 inch lower. A larger battery will sit higher in the tray because it does not fit into the recess.

That seems like a lot. I got a BMW gel battery last year for $113 US.

Yes, it is a ludicrous price to be sure, especially since the peso of the north is at a 30 year high. Must be old stock.

Thanks for the input guys and gals.

Can anybody recommend a BMW dealership in western New York, Buffalo/Niagara area? I'll take that suggestion and go shop south of the border. Unfortunately, when it comes to price and selection, Canada is a hinterland.

TIA,

Frank.

Frank,

I purchased a battery for my K100 from the Interstate distributor on Hwy 50, noth of Hwy 7 in Vaughn. I paid $116 plus taxes 2 years ago. I have been back in the past few months for a car battery. Give them a try.

Back