• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Tire Cracks

k100lt

I had a new Metzler 880 installed on the rear wheel 07/06. After several trips and 2500 miles I noticed 3 areas with cracks in the tread groove area. I took it to the selling dealer and he seemed to think that it was not a problem. I have been monitoring the cracks for progression and they don't seem to be getting any bigger. The tire has a total of 4500 miles on it now. The mfg. date is 3505. We are planning some long trips this spring/summer and I'am concerned with this tire. My 'gut' tells me something bad is going to happen eventually with this condition and the tire should be replaced.

Anybody had similar experience with this area for cracks?

Attachments

• IMGP0607.jpg
    IMGP0607.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 286
Here are the other cracks in the groove area..

Attachments

• IMGP0611.jpg
    IMGP0611.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 282
I would replace that tire. It appears defective to me.

If the dealer won't seek an adjustment from Metzeler for you, then ask for the info you need to contact Metzeler yourself directly.

In my opinion, Metzeler would not want that tire on the road.

Red Flag

I have never seen tire wear like that before, and that's my point. Have worn down many treads in my time, but lateral splitting like that - raises a red flag in my opinion.

Short of an MRI on the tire (not sure your HMO would approve that!), no way to know if catastrophic failure is waiting for you at the next pot hole.

Question is: Do you feel lucky? Well, do you?!

Replace the tire and find a way to make Metzeler eat it.

Call Metzler and see what they say. Mebbe you get a new one free (or pro-rated) under warranty. Never know til you axe.

Cracked Tires

I learned from my motorhome days, any tire that is cracking like that is not safe

:stick

I don't like the looks of that tire. Please change it as soon as possible. That is (NOT) safe to be riding on.

Thanks everyone for your input. The tire will be replaced this week. My local dealer said he would handle the warranty:deal work(ship the tire to Metzler in GA., etc). I will purchase a new tire and pay for the shipping to Metzler. I should then,' hopefully' get some money from Metzler for the defective tire.

Whoa, that tire definitely should be replaced. I have a friend in the M/C tire trade tell me Metzler sometimes warehouses tires for years and they have had problems with tires cracking and splitting apart. I am not sure if this is the same thing, but I would be curious to find out the manufacture date of the tire.

Coaster... When I had this tire installed in July of last year I checked the mfg. date to make sure it had not sat on the shelf for a long time. The mfg. date stamped on it is 3505.(mfg. in the 35th week of 2005). So the tire is pretty new. I will be getting a new one put on tomorrow and the old one shipped to Metzler for warranty consideration. I called Metzler yesterday but of course they were busy and would call me back. To date have not heard from them. The dealer that is installing the new tire will handle the shipping of the old tire to Metzler. Hopefully once all the paperwork and info flows through the system I will get a big fat check from them:bliss

Dealer just informed me that I will get a $120.00 refund:clap from Metzler. Metzler said they were minor 'surface cracks' and not related to inflation issues or tread separation. The new tire is doing fine.

So, you wouldn't ride on these?

13835_338720950190_576805190_9997934_4737837_n.jpg

:ha

Just do like Bert Monroe, a little black shoe polish and you can go 200 mph on those tires.--really though tires are the one thing not to be taking chances with. Ed

MRI is not the correct test.......would need an unenhanced CT.:nyah

Replace that tire!

"Back in the day..." we used to call that a CAT scan - for Computer Assisted Topography.

Now shortened to 'Cee Tee' scan, to conserve on letters, I guess?!

I did 11 years as a nightshift ER Tech at Memorial Medical Center here in town - ahhh, the memories. :sick

Lessee, a tire manufactured in mid-2005 would be four years old if installed in mid-2009. That sounds new enough, but I avoid any tires older than three years, and newer than that for my machines that don't get much annual mileage.

Tires are subject to degradation less like a piece of steel, and more like an apple. The compounds degrade with exposure to ozone, ultraviolet rays, etc. A tire that has been stored in a hot warehouse, or worse yet, exposed to sunlight on the tire rack in the front window, can be severely compromised.

There have been a number of cases of various tires cracking around the circumference. The cracks may not actually be a structural hazard, but sharp grit that finds it's way into the crack can cause further damage.

Of course, you can destroy even a very good tire by running it low on pressure. The soft tire flexes, generating heat and tearing the cords. Pumping it back up to pressure after a few thousand miles can't restore the damage.

Note that when buying a tire (any tire) the seller is required by law to provide you with a registration form. Yep, I know that most motorcycle dealers and online sellers ignore the law. My suggestion is to press the issue, and have the seller obtain a registration form from the tire manufacturer. Register your tires. That gives you some leverage if it comes to a questionable tire.

pmdave

Back