• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Air Snorkel Orientation

Liaison
Staff member
Here's an easy one for you guys... I bought new snorkels for the /7. I know which is left and right from the part number. Kinda dumb here but, am I correct in assuming that the end with the small slits goes to the air filter housing?

Not sure if I ever knew which end was which...thanks.

Kurt in S.A.

Answered by Own Question

I think I figured it out...with a little help from a deep review of the Airheads archive. One poster years ago mentioned the different lengths of the tube and how they needed to be positioned properly.

In looking at the tubes, I paid attention to the point in the tube at which the bend is taking place. The right side tube is not nearly as symmetric as the left. The right side tube has unequal lengths of "straight" sections on either side of the bend. Placing this into relative position on the right side clearly shows that the longish straight section of the tube HAS to be next to the air filter with the shorter straight section at the carb. If it's done the other way, then the section leading into the carb will be at an angle and it can't be sealed properly. In other words, the longish section of tube puts the bend far enough away from the air filter housing so that the bend ends up pointing directly at the carb.

So, with the right side oriented properly, that puts the slits I mentioned up by the air cleaner spigots.

The left side is not quite so clear in terms of the long and short sections, but given that the slits are near the air filter on the right side, that would tend to indicate that the slits should be in the same position on the left side. I had already installed the left side tube that way and the section that runs into the carb makes a straight shot in...there's no angle associated with it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Kurt in S.A.

Back