• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

something has changed recently - iMac login problems

robsryder

Motorcycleton
Sometimes I login using a PC (Internet Explore) and sometimes using an iMac. No problems until tonight. With the iMac I seemed to be able to login, but the forum view that I had was for a guest, and I couldn't seem my login name at the bottom.

I was able to login with the iMac a few days ago and had the regular member forum view, post messages, and see my login name at the bottom.

No problems with the PC. (I'm now writing this with a PC after first having the iMac problems).

So what has changed???

Nothing seems to have changed on the iMac from which I am composing this message. Just an FYI. Sorry you're having trouble.

Sometimes I login using a PC (Internet Explore) and sometimes using an iMac. No problems until tonight. With the iMac I seemed to be able to login, but the forum view that I had was for a guest, and I couldn't seem my login name at the bottom.

I was able to login with the iMac a few days ago and had the regular member forum view, post messages, and see my login name at the bottom.

No problems with the PC. (I'm now writing this with a PC after first having the iMac problems).

So what has changed???

Nothing changed on the site.
To diagnose the problem, we need more information.
iMac? What kind of iMac? What browser?

I too have the problem switching from browser to browser and computer to computer (all macs).. I can't sign in on any other computer.. The site won't take my sign-in.. I have tried explorer and firefox without any success. The computer I am good on is a g4 powerbook , system 10.48. with all the latest upgrades etc.

I once had to do an archive and install because of some system corruption and I remember have to call MOA headquarters to have my password reset so I could sign-on.. So the way it stands now I am permanently signed in on the computer I am using, but if I go out of town or want to use my wife's computer at home I can only browse the site as a guest.

This is not normal behavior for the site. Are you certain that the other browsers/machines have cookies enabled?

FWIW, I'm a mac guy and have logged in on multiple machines and browsers as both myself and users with non-admin accounts.

I have not notice any issues yet. I have three Macs at home and at times I have had issues with other websites. Not this one. Not yet.

Yes, Cookies are all enabled.. I'm pretty sure this is an individual thing because I can't sign on in my office in explorer on a pc.. The message is "you have entered an invalid name or password" When I trashed my operating system previously I had to have my user name / password reset to be able to sign on on my one daily mac

Yes, Cookies are all enabled.. I'm pretty sure this is an individual thing because I can't sign on in my office in explorer on a pc.. The message is "you have entered an invalid name or password" When I trashed my operating system previously I had to have my user name / password reset to be able to sign on on my one daily mac

Ah. That sounds like you don't actually have the right password/username. You're still able to login with the old computer simply because you never logged out (cookie is still set).

Sending you a PM.

I don't know what has changed on my iMac (a G5 20-inch) other than the regular apple updates. I've not changed any other settings. The iMac is using the Safari browser.

I'm able to use the WinXP IE browser and log in just fine. But the iMac "looks" like it is logging in, but the forum appearance looks like the guest view. Logging in with an incorrect password gives an obvious error.

I looked at the cookies on the iMac and see several from bmwmoa.org
I cleared the cookies and tried to re-login, no joy.

As a test I used the iMac to go to the advrider.com website and log in. No problems and the usual forum view was present.

I'm not superfamiliar with the inner workings of the iMac, but haven't had a problem before. If nothing has changed on the MOA website, then it must be something on the iMac.

iMac problem found!!!

I found the login problem with my iMac. I had bookmarked the forum login, i.e.,
"forums.bmwmoa.org" and use to login at that page. It seems that the login now requires that one start at the home page, then navigate to the forum.

Once I deleted my old bookmark and added "bmwmoa.org" as the bookmark, I was able to login and then go to the forum. The forum view is the normal view and I can see my screen name at the bottom of the page.

I'm writing this with my iMac.

Last edited:
Ah. That sounds like you don't actually have the right password/username. You're still able to login with the old computer simply because you never logged out (cookie is still set).

Sending you a PM.

Thanks for the fix.. this is known in my office as USER ERROR. :banghead

Back