• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spline Grease

We used Paul's suggested 50/50 mix on my son's K1100RS. I think that stuff will last longer than the motorcycle itself. :thumb

R1200 Wethead Splines

Good stuff!

As a newbie to BMW's this thread peaked my interest; primarily due to all the stories I've heard about drive shaft failures.

Is lubing splines during tire changes (or every other) necessary for wetheads too?

Note: I'm riding about 25,000 miles a year most of which is freeway, but take the occasional trail runs when possible.

Also, I'd be performing this work myself; any suggested DIY threads out there?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff!

As a newbie to BMW's this thread peaked my interest; primarily due to all the stories I've heard about drive shaft failures.

Is lubing splines during tire changes (or every other) necessary for wetheads too?

Note: I'm riding about 25,000 miles a year most of which is freeway, but take the occasional trail runs when possible.

Also, I'd be performing this work myself; any suggested DIY threads out there?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

"This is especially true if you do a lot of deep water crossings, ride in the rain often, or just put on a lot of miles. There have been cases of corrosion in the FD on several bikes, though not a large number by percentage, and even a failure of the FD splines on one bike due to corrosion"

I'd be more concerned about water intrusion from a poorly seated rubber boot.

Here's how to lube your Wethead's splines
I'd use what is recommended above vs. the grease shown in the pictures, but YMMV.

and now back to the regularly scheduled posts...

Here's how to lube your Wethead's splines
I'd use what is recommended above vs. the grease shown in the pictures, but YMMV.

and now back to the regularly scheduled posts...

I agree. The Sta-Lube Moly Grease pictured contains no more than 5% moly by volume - probably 3% or so. The stuff we have been talking about from Guard Dog, and my chemistry-set mixture, are 30% moly by volume and very thick. The Sta-Lube (which I have in a grease gun) is neither thick nor sticky but is OK in applications like ball joints and other sealed chassis points. Honda's latest and the Enduralast stuff are both 70% moly. I think that makes it too dry and not sticky enough but opinions vary on that, and for sure it has enough moly content to be a real moly lubricant instead of one in name only.

I only read part of this thread but some of the opinions are nonsense. I don't know about flourinated krytox but molybdenum disulfide (moly) is a well proven spline lubricant for splines.

It's obvious. Flourinated stuff is supposed to make your teeth stronger and help prevent cavities.

In the last month I searched all over, talked with Wurth by email (they were no help), went to CAT and Kenworth dealers/shops and no luck.

Got a life time or two or three supply, one tube, from MG Cycle like Paul had said carried it. Expensive but......................... mgcycle.com

GD

Back