• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

tire pump

Here's one on my '71 R75/5 - If you have the mounting "nibs" shown, you should be good to go.

If the pump mounts differently on the '74 /6, well then nevermind........

Is the BMW air pump servicable?

the pump pictured looks alot like a Silca Bike pump. Is is basically the same and how long does it take to pump up a tire to normal inflation?

thanks

swanny

It takes less time to pump up the tire than it does to get a tow truck or some tire service truck with air out to you........

Just pump it up to about 26 psi and limp to a station if in town. If mot, just keep pumping until you're done.

pump

davidswanson said:
the pump pictured looks alot like a Silca Bike pump. Is is basically the same and how long does it take to pump up a tire to normal inflation?

thanks

swanny

About 700 strokes ought to do it! :banghead

Right after that you will be in the market for a small electric inflator. :brow

Friedle

Friedle said:
About 700 strokes ought to do it! :banghead

Right after that you will be in the market for a small electric inflator.

Very true.

And, note that the 700 strokes won't happen without taking a break, because the pump will get too hot to hold.

I carry CO2 cartridges.

rdalland said:
Here's one on my '71 R75/5 - If you have the mounting "nibs" shown, you should be good to go.

I was wondering what those were for.

I should probably get one, or see if the original owners still have it in their garage somewhere. A little pump is better than no pump.

of course its not that easy if you have a spoke wheel,
and a flat, that means dismount, patch tube and mount
which is not as easy as it sounds
at taht point, the number of strokes dont mean squat
your still there for the rest of the day :wave
thats me waving at all the people driving by

Took me far less than a day to fix my tire on my flat on my old R100. If it takes you a day, you really shouldn't handle sharp or moving machinery..... :stick :hide

Isamemon said:
of course its not that easy if you have a spoke wheel,
and a flat, that means dismount, patch tube and mount
which is not as easy as it sounds
at taht point, the number of strokes dont mean squat
your still there for the rest of the day :wave
thats me waving at all the people driving by

Carry spare tubes.

You're supposed to use new tubes with every new tire, so you'll have lots of spares.

true I would not be there all day
front would be fast
rear a little longer adn a bit trickier
I always install new tubes with new tires
and I carry 2 of those little co2 cartridges that came with a patch kit

Yes, that is the pump that came on the 1974 R75/6. However, they were never practical for the reasons everyone has mentioned. They took too long and required too many strokes... and yes, they got hot. The last time I had a flat with a tube tire (early 1980s) I used a foot-actuated pump. If you want to restore your /6 to stock condition, by all means get one. If you want to carry a pump for emergency repairs, get a small 12 volt compressor.

I am eventually going to 'restore' it, one section at a time, because I can only aford a little at a time. Haha.

To hijack my own thread: My subframe also has a clip on the opposite side of the pump, say... on the 'outside.' It's just behind where the shock mounts. (In comparison to that pic, it would be about straight in line with where that front weld is on the muffler.) Anyone know what it is?

Last edited:
I always thought it was for hanging your helmet. If you put the chinstrap through and then close the seat and lock it, it would be nearly impossible to make off with the helmet.

I think that if you put thru the side with the D-rings or the release button, with the seat closed the strap with the attachment would not easily pull through. Let's remember that locks are mostly deterrent devices.

I could be utterly wrong about this. I was just guessing based on the placement and construction of the part.

davidswanson said:
the pump pictured looks alot like a Silca Bike pump. Is is basically the same and how long does it take to pump up a tire to normal inflation? thanks swanny
I have used the BMW tire pump many times. When I travel off road I have three hand pumps with me and use them in sequence since after about 15 cycles they get hot and I don't have to sit and wait for one pump to cool. When they get hot efficiency is reduced to nothing.

It takes about 50-75 strokes to inflate an 18 X 450 tube in a large aggressive knobby tire to 16 psi. and is enough to get going but at moderate speeds only. Then, it takes another 50 strokes to get it to 23 psi or so which is good enough for average speeds off road and on. The pumps get hot quicker after about 20 psi.

Two of the pumps are standard issue BMW and one is a Blackburn mountain bike pump. The Blackburn has slightly more volume and will air both Schrader and Presta valve tubes but still gets hot in use just as fast. All the BMW motorcycles I have ever owned came with the same simple pump from my 68/2 on. Don't know anything about the Silca pump. I kept a mechanical dual chamber foot pump in my sidecar for a while till I discovered the constant road vibration disassembled it. Simple is better.

Earlier in this thread in the photo of a BMW pump in place on the sub-frame lugs I noticed the pump handle set in the rear position. In that position if you ride in the rain, the handle catches splash water and rusts out eventually. Also, if you have a Co2 kit with two cartridges plan on adding at least five more Co2 cartridges to your tool kit to get the job done.

I have been using the clip for 30 years. I suppose someone could pull very hard and it would bend or break, but so far it seems to have worked well

s09rwmb said:
Earlier in this thread in the photo of a BMW pump in place on the sub-frame lugs I noticed the pump handle set in the rear position. In that position if you ride in the rain, the handle catches splash water and rusts out eventually.

Interesting thought, I haven't touched the pump in over 10 years. Looked at it yesterday, no spoog, no corrosion, functions as expected. I did rotate it though, no sense taking chances.

I expect that the next time I have a flat on the road, I'll be glad to have it.

Back