• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The new Vintage column in the ON

vechbmw

Just to let everyone know, I'm begining the never ending process of writing a vintage column for the Owners News titled
"The Past Lane. I'm going to try to cover mechanical subjects, do restoration articles, (as I did years ago on an R71) get photos of members bikes published, answer questions from members, pass around info about swap meets, vintage rides, tech stuff on pre war restorations, etc. While I can ramble on quite a while on my own, it sure would be nice if the MOA owners of vintage BMW's would submit to me their questions, short articles, photos, whatever, so this column is not a one man show....

So if you have something you would like to share, send it to me, and I'll get it in the ON. (If Sandy likes it, that is). Sandy has told me that she will give me quite a bit of space 1 - 4 pages depending on what we have to submit versis other pending articles and features. You can write me emails at: vechbmw@aol.com, or snail mail stuff to me at:
Bench Mark Works
3400 Earles Fork Rd
Sturgis, MS 39769

Thanks for your time, give me some feedback..........

Vech

Vech -- any interest in posting your info here?

While we're talking, I am looking for stuff to clean the aluminum castings on my R69S. I'm not ready to tear down my bike and glass bead the cases. I'd just like to clean what I have a little better.

In another post on this forum, someone says that you recommended Excites Pure Metal Polish to them when you wer at the BMW RA rally.

Is this stuff for making polished aluminum shiny, or for making rough cast aluminum clean looking?

Also what do you know about Nice 'n Easy Aluminum Cleaner ?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Ian

Last edited:
> any interest in posting your info here?

Well, that is not a problem, but my main need is to provide interesting stuff to the whole membership not just to people wh happen to read this internet forum.

While we're talking, I am looking for stuff to clean the aluminum castings on my R69S. I'm not ready to tear down my bike and glass bead the cases. I'd just like to clean what I have a little better.

In another post on this forum, someone says that you recommended Excites Pure Metal Polish to them when you wer at the BMW RA rally.

Is this stuff for making polished aluminum shiny,

yes, that and chrome, and polished Stainless. Works great.
We sell the stuff.

or for making rough cast aluminum clean looking?

no not for cast aluminum.

Also what do you know about Nice 'n Easy Aluminum Cleaner ?

It has lye in it and will ATTACK aluminum, and turn it BLACK.
Don't do it. If you go to welding supply place, and get some cleaning prep used to clean aluminum before helicarc welding,
(it's sold under various names, such as WELDO) and a brass wire brush, it will do a real good job. But keep it off the paint, and you must flush it with water, so you gotta do this outside.

Vech

Ya know, vech...since you are now going to be a regular contributor to our print medium, how about tossing a few bones in the forum too? :idea

Congrats on the new endeavor.

Ian said:
> any interest in posting your info here?

Vech replies:
Well, that is not a problem, but my main need is to provide interesting stuff to the whole membership not just to people wh happen to read this internet forum.

OK... how about putting the same stuff in two different places? That way, people who like reading the forum, and discussing in real time can do that to their heart's content, and people who like reading about things in magazines can do it their way, too.

Ian

ps => thanks for the advice about the aluminum polish. I thought that Nice'n easy stuff sounded like it could be rough.

Back