• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Haynes or Clymer

A

adamsonwd

This is my first post with this group so I hope I am doing it correctly? I am trying to find a workshop manual for a 2002 RS? Is this available? Thank you.............Wayne

I bought a manual, a Haynes, for my GS although it was a book that covered various models of BMW twins and I seem to remember the RS may have been covered. Overall a good book that is often easier to read than the factory manual. It is listed on Amazon etc so you could pursue something like that?

Adam, welcome aboard hope you have a good time here :wave

I have a Clymers and find it useful. I don't have the other so I can't compare. I think either one will be fine, so it's what you find that will be best.

Post away, you have only just begun... :D

Doc

adamsonwd said:
This is my first post with this group so I hope I am doing it correctly? I am trying to find a workshop manual for a 2002 RS? Is this available? Thank you.............Wayne

The Clymer is much more detailed and tends to encourage you to do the work whereas the Haynes will refer you to the dealer. However, they are both useful in their own ways and I would get both to compare with each other. If I were on a budget, I would get the Clymer. It costs more, but is worth it.
The BMW repair manual is very good but assumes that you are a certified mechanic with access to the special workshop tools. It costs about $100 or more, but again, more info than less is good. It is generally trusted more on torque values, etc. Electrical schematics are not included with the BMW repair manual, but you can buy them separately from BMW for about $40 for a particular bike. I find them superior to the schematics in the Haynes or Clymer.

Thanks

Thank you to all who responded to my question.I have ordered the Clymer for now and will consider the BMW and Haynes later......................Wayne

Best thing you can do is join your local BMW club.

Trying to go it alone with a book or Internet advice is a very distant third. Dealer is second ... well actually it's first if you can afford it.

i found my bmw manual online

i also have the clymer:

M503-3t.jpg

(except mine has a picutre of the R1100S on it, which is why i bought it)

5032.jpg

i think the wiring diagrams in the clymer are better than the haynes

the clymers tend to be a bit thicker and cover more models from what i've noticed.

Last edited:
If you are serious bout wrenching on your bike and you can afford it, get both manuals as one may cover some things better than the other one does. I found them to be very complimentary when using both when working on my airheads.

I have both Haynes and Clymer for most of our bikes. As a generalzation the Clymer manuals have more photographs, but also have more suspect details such as torque values, etc. I prefer the organization of the Haynes manuals but find the Clymer photos helpful. I use them both. I also have the factory workshop manuals for several of our bikes. From a factual standpoint they are the best - but they assume you have been through the BMW service school so are scant on detailed procedures - usually just sequences and technical specs. If I was forced to own only one, I would buy the Haynes.

Back