• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

White/Clear front turn signal lens

mlindstone

I am new to MOA, so I hope I am posting this correctly/in the right place. Let me know if I am not.
I am looking for a clear/white front turn signal lens for my 1995 R1100RS. I have been able to locate rear turn lenses and white LED taillight, but have had no luck with the front lenses. Is anyone aware of a source for these turn lenses in white/clear for the R1100RS?

I did find some for my older airhead, but looking at pics of your bike I'm thinking you will
have a hard time finding what you want.

Do you know someone with a 3D printer perhaps?
Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Are there any specific laws regarding the color of lenses? Seems like red/yellow are used for a reason. :dunno

Are there any specific laws regarding the color of lenses? Seems like red/yellow are used for a reason. :dunno

Regulations require that they display the appropriate color when illuminated, but don’t restrict lens color. I’m sure the reasons for colored lenses lie in cost and technology, especially with bikes built before LEDs became common and affordable.

Many manufacturers are now shipping new bikes with clear lensing as OEM.

Best,
DeVern

These are the bikes and years this amber lens was used: BMW R1100RS 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001
BMW R1150RS 2002, 2003, 2004
Doing a search for your specific year and model did not show any clear lenses I could find, maybe check these other years/model and verify fitment, hope this helps.

Germans are very detail oriented and they have ensured that bulb sockets are not the same for amber and clear bulbs.

If you're "modernizing" an older BMW to later clear turn signal lenses, you'll have to change the bulb sockets too.

The common turn signal and brake light bulb in clear glass is called P21W. It's socket pins are at 180 degrees.

The common turn signal bulb in orange is called PY21W and it's socket pins are at 120 degrees.

If you insist on 'merikun bulbs, I'm not talking to you.

Clear RS turn lenses

Thanks for all your replies. LKCHRIS, I have found and am installing amber LED bulbs (much brighter!) in the 180-degree pin configuration so I can use OEM bulb sockets. The amber bulbs will keep lighting in compliance with legal requirements. I was able to find a European provider (WhiteLights for bikes) thru EBAY that will be ordering a run of the RS front turn lenses from their supplier due to increased demand. Thanks to all for your responses and advice!

Regulations require that they display the appropriate color when illuminated, but don’t restrict lens color. I’m sure the reasons for colored lenses lie in cost and technology, especially with bikes built before LEDs became common and affordable.

Many manufacturers are now shipping new bikes with clear lensing as OEM.

Best,
DeVern

I've been changing the rear lenses on our trucks to clear but making sure the appropriate brake/turn signal bulbs reflect the mandatory colour. We break lenses and nice to just change the lens versus the whole assembly.

The colour is the colour here. amber=turn, red=stop. That's it, don't mess with the law.

The colour is the colour here. amber=turn, red=stop. That's it, don't mess with the law.
Just an FYI ...

There are USA legalities around what is amber.

USA version Mercedes come with front turn signal bulbs that are a special version. Seems PY21W is legal for rear but not for front. Must not look like authorities, I assume.

Had a Virginia trooper question my 2002 GS color lenses and told him they were stock so end of discussion.

A 2002 GS could've come with either clear or amber lenses (depending on whether it's an 1100 or 1150: "transition" year); as long as it shows amber when lit, it's legal.
Unless a trooper is also a rider, he probably wouldn't know.

Back