• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OEM BMW Gel Battery Life

Mr. Frank

What kind of service life have people been getting with the BMW gel battery? Mine is three and a half years old, and is going strong. However, I'm getting concerned because two riding friends with the same model and age bike had their batteries die recently. I use the Battery Tender most of the time the bike is parked at home.

I'll probably replace mine soon. It seems to drag on a cold start and get worse quickly if it doesn't start on the first try. With only 6,000 miles in 3 years before I bought it, I'm guessing it has been discharged a few times.

52 months (4.4 years) and going strong. I too keep it on a tender between rides, but it seems to be fine even when I don't. I run PIAA lights all the time and they do draw some watts off the charging system when in use. I've heard a life expectency of 7-years, we'll see.

Doc

MrFrank said:
I use the Battery Tender most of the time the bike is parked at home.
5yr is norm ( Up in the north east some of us bring them in for the unrideabl months i/e 2.5ft of the frozen @&^* !!!)

I've had one in an airhead for two years and it preformed flawlessly with no battery-tender use until two days ago, when sitting for a week and a half apparently didn't agree with it (odd since it sat longer than that a couple of times during the hot summer). Fifteen minutes on a good old low-tech charger and it was good to go and has been OK since. I have an Omega charging system and I run a pair of MotoLights and an LED tail lamp. It had better not give me any hiccups this weekend when I ride up to Oklahoma.

My bike came with a gel battery reputedly recently installed in 2001 with 37k. Now have 65k and 5+ years. I try to use the battery tender but when I don't I notice the ABS does not set right at start. Once back on the tender or after suffcient miles all is back to normal. I'm waiting for some kind of sign to change it to a new gel type.

I was pondering the same questions myself as my '02 GS has the OEM battery. I put it on the tender from about November to April, and ride sporadically in between. So far no issues, but I am seriously contemplating having it replaced with the next 6K service just to be safe.

I also run a BMW Gel and just replaced it at 3yrs 3months with another BMW Gel. I keep it on a BMW charger most of the time but after a service the tech suggested I put a new one in and with cold weather on the way I figured it was a good time to replace.

Charle

Tender?

I have an '04 RT with the gel cell battery. I have been using a Battery Tender on all my bikes until now. I read in one of the forums that the Battery Tender of old will damage the new gel cells. It seems everyone is using them, so thought I'd ask....

Can I use my old style plug in the wall "Battery Tender" with my new gel cell battery?

Thanks for the comments, Jeff :dunno

MrFrank said:
What kind of service life have people been getting with the BMW gel battery? Mine is three and a half years old, and is going strong.

My gel battery is just coming up on that. The short burst required for starting hardly is a full blown test of the battery's state...mine starts instantly at the push of the starter button. It drains down to 12.5V within 2 weeks of a long ride. I'll have to measure the current drain while parked one of these days.

I doubt it'll last as long as my flooded lead acid batteries that give me 8 full years or more.

Progress? What progress? :laugh

apopj said:
I have an '04 RT with the gel cell battery. I have been using a Battery Tender on all my bikes until now. I read in one of the forums that the Battery Tender of old will damage the new gel cells. It seems everyone is using them, so thought I'd ask....

Can I use my old style plug in the wall "Battery Tender" with my new gel cell battery?

There is a thread going on over on the KLT site about this. The understanding is the old charger is OK to use on the new Gel battery IF you use it only long enough to bring the battery back up to 12 volts. If you use it to "maintain" the charge you will damage the battery because the trickle charge is too high. The suggested time seems to be no longer than a few hours, 12 being the max. At least that's what I got from the thread. The old charger "maintains" at more voltage than the Gel wants to see.

Anyone else have this understanding?

apopj said:

Exides issue is that the charging voltage shouldn't be above 14.2 volts and the BT charges at 14.4 volts. Also with the BT Plus, there is a several hour soak cycle after reaching the battery voltage which would normally cause the BT to go to float voltage (something like 13.6 volts). The BT Jr doesn't have this soak feature, so I would use that on my Exide Gel battery (BMW) but not the BT Plus. BT sells a BMW GEL charger and BMW also markets it thru dealers at a somewhat higher price. BMW also has 2 available chargers which are ok for GEL.
Also, I think it is better to turn on the BT and charge until the LED goes green. Then turn the BT off and do this every couple of weeks. I don't think leaving the battery on float is necessarily a good thing. For example, leaving it on float all winter, BT requires you to check the fluid level on a flooded battery. It makes me think that there can be some overcharging. I prefer to charge the batteries once every couple of weeks and have gotten good results with that.

battery life

This is my first gel battery, well this is also my first BMW. I have had flooded batteries last up to 5 years. The best way to make them last is by riding the bike often. IMHO no charger can do what the bike's charging system can. I ride both of my bikes atleast 3 times a week, every week. Not when there is snow on the ground, but I don't let the temp stop me.

My Beemer is two years old and never had a charger on it. 39,000 miles.

My Harley is three years old and never had a charger on it. 21,000 miles.

Both batteries seem to be fine never fail to start, never seem to be slow turning. my .02

Back