• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any advice on lowering K75/converting to S fairing

B

bergindy

Anyone have experience using shallower tires as an initial step in compensating for the inseam-challenged? What sizes are a decent trade-off? I know there are shock options and a low seat also [which is difficult to believe given that the present seat is practically non-existent at its lowest point--sort of like sitting on a brick]. :laugh It doesn't appear that there would be much room on the front forks to lower with given the handlebars and instrument cluster, but that could be a naive assumption. :dunno

Also interested in upgrading from the current C fairing to S--possible?

It would cost a pretty penny to change the fairing on the C to an S.
Parts: Headlight, gauges holder, windshield, middle fairing, L & R side fairing, brackets, headlight fairing, radiator cover and belly pan spoiler.
:lurk

Why S?

What are you trying to gain with the S conversion.
If it's wind protection I don't think you'll gain that much.
If it's looks, do someting cool like put an R100RS fairing on it.
Might check out the low model k75 they came out with in 88(?).
A lot of people have put on shorter shocks, fork springs, cut down seats.
What about platform shoes? :)

What are you trying to gain with the S conversion.
If it's wind protection I don't think you'll gain that much.
If it's looks, do someting cool like put an R100RS fairing on it.
Might check out the low model k75 they came out with in 88(?).
A lot of people have put on shorter shocks, fork springs, cut down seats.
What about platform shoes? :)

Yes, guess I'm looking for more wind protection--I commute 60 miles all winter in the rains of Oregon. So you're saying the S fairing isn't all that effective? If that's true, then it saves me a ton of money and headaches. I'll research the RS fairing option, perhaps.

As for the platform shoes, already on it! :beer

gotta toss a tuppence...

Commish'd to build a low K75 w/fairing for a ~29" inseam. I'm going short shock (1"), small tire (~+1"), and low seat (~1"). It's a careful tradeoff of lowering, clearance, & load.

Gonna try grafting early K100RS bodywork onto the K75 base/runtrain, should be :dance at least.

The K75 is the Best bit of PlayDoh BMW (accidentally) made! Squish, pull, mash, ETC! into whatever you want / can imagine.

Unless I had an Amazing Deal (see above), I wouldn't think of converting a bare to any full faired version. The cost of small omissions is impressive.

Warning: my sense of constructive adventure exceeds common thresholds (scope what I ride): YMMV ?! I never count mine!! :laugh <<<)))

P.S. Any Real lowering suggests cutting back both side & center stands, a nontrivial consideration. Some prefer to work with prop boards and use as is, I'm still a fan of the gas wrench & MIG grafter. This way does require some creativity concerning interference & nesting in the muffler indents :idea.
Ain't that what Saturdays & brown pop are for?

Last edited:
Another solution

The RS (R100) fairing requires some fabracation. (Looks really cool) Parabellum made and may still have an excelent fairing that bolts right up. I have two and NO I will not part with either one (I live in Oregon too). Contact Parabellum or post a things wanted ad. Rifle made a simular fairing. I do have a stock T windshied I will part with but it offers no real hand protection and you don't want to look through it but over it which may be a challenge if as you say you are vertically challenged.
Here is the fairing on an 86T it came off of a C and actually worked well with the lower bars on a C.
Good Luck.

Attachments

• Fairing.jpg
    Fairing.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks for the input, Mulino! Appreciate the pic. You're right-looks great! :jawdrop I want one!

-Nannerz

CustomSarge said:
Gonna try grafting early K100RS bodywork onto the K75 base/runtrain, should be :dance at least.
I did this conversion in 1992. It looks very sweet when its done. You need the S bellypan to tie it all together.

Sorry for the scanned pic.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 99
nannerz said:
Yes, guess I'm looking for more wind protection--I commute 60 miles all winter in the rains of Oregon. So you're saying the S fairing isn't all that effective? If that's true, then it saves me a ton of money and headaches. I'll research the RS fairing option, perhaps.

As for the platform shoes, already on it! :beer

I have a K75S and have put hundreds of miles on C models, and the winters where I live get down to the teens in the mornings. The S is a bit better than the C, but not by a big amount, and is a very cool ride in the winter. The other options suggested here are going to give you a more practical bike in the winter.

Convert to an "S"

Hmmmmm.... I've got an "S" I've been thinking of converting to a "C". I live in Florida and the fairing is not something I need and I generally like naked-bikes.

Mine is an 87 in Montreal Blue - maybe we can work a deal.

I asked the same lowering questions earlier this summer. I have since lowered my '93 k 75 low seat 1+ inches.
It was done mainly because of the shock that was already on the bike. I cannot tell you what that shock is because I cannot find any manfactures marks. I also lowered the forks as far as I could given all the stuff in the way. It never affected the workings of my side or center stands. I looked into the low profile tires. My tires are in good shape and I coule not justify the 300+ $ for 1/2 to 3/4 of any inch. When it comes time to change I will get them. The combination of all the changes will have me flat on the ground. The only difference I could notice in riding was my knees are slightly more bent. But since the back pegs are handy they make a spot to change positions.
My k75 is the best bike I've had. Finding the inches you need to be confident is well worth the effort.

spottybond said:
I asked the same lowering questions earlier this summer. I have since lowered my '93 k 75 low seat 1+ inches.
It was done mainly because of the shock that was already on the bike. I cannot tell you what that shock is because I cannot find any manfactures marks. I also lowered the forks as far as I could given all the stuff in the way. It never affected the workings of my side or center stands. I looked into the low profile tires. My tires are in good shape and I coule not justify the 300+ $ for 1/2 to 3/4 of any inch. When it comes time to change I will get them. The combination of all the changes will have me flat on the ground. The only difference I could notice in riding was my knees are slightly more bent. But since the back pegs are handy they make a spot to change positions.
My k75 is the best bike I've had. Finding the inches you need to be confident is well worth the effort.

Did you do anything to lower the seat, or was this all suspension? I ask because you say you knees are slightly more bent which would imply a seat height change. :dunno

spottybond said:
I also lowered the forks as far as I could given all the stuff in the way. It never affected the workings of my side or center stands. I looked into the low profile tires. My tires are in good shape and I coule not justify the 300+ $ for 1/2 to 3/4 of any inch. When it comes time to change I will get them.

Hi, Sue,
If you NEED to lower the front any more, you can mount barbacks, then move the handlebars back an inch or a bit more. This will give the forks somewhere to go and you can lower the front an inch, inch and a half, whatever. As I wrote you privately earlier, Harriet had 80 series tires on her K75. I couldn't get them in the Michelin Macadams, so we went with Bridgestone BT45. On my K1100LT, I average 12k miles on the rear Michelin Macadam 50 tire. Harriet's B'stones were toast at 6k or less, on a smaller, lighter bike. Just another thing to think about...

I did not do anything with the seat. I believe it is the orginal seat for the bike. I like it although others I have spoken with feel that the stock seats on the k75 lowseats were created by some underworld demons. There were soooo many opinions about seats and seat pans and seat covers and pan covers and pots and pans and ,,,, It was very confusing. I was glad to dodge that bullet!

WOW & TNX

to jdiaz: I thought it'd look good, now I have a measure to come up to! Thanks also for the S pan tip, I have one but it wasn't an obvious need, again the pict answers all. Did the pan top to the fairing lower require a bit of fab? I can handle it, but it rarely hurts to ask...

That's such a great looking combination, I'm freshly geeked to work on it. I'll post a pict when done, but that'll be spring. Hunting was Good... <<<)))

CustomSarge said:
to jdiaz: I thought it'd look good, now I have a measure to come up to! Thanks also for the S pan tip, I have one but it wasn't an obvious need, again the pict answers all. Did the pan top to the fairing lower require a bit of fab? I can handle it, but it rarely hurts to ask...
The belly pan top to fairing lower did not require anything special.....the gap was perfect.

IIRC the only bodywork mods needed were five minutes of filing on the right-hand lower to clear the cooling hose, and the interior trim panels (ie. kneepads) needed some re-shaping, unless you swap out the S gas tank for a K100 tank. And some minor electrical harness mods for turn signal and horn wiring.

It was a pretty bike when it was finished. Folks used to just walk right by it and not even notice that it was a "hybrid." :D

Back