Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I won't buy another modern BMW...

anthropomorphizing what?

OK--we'll quit anthropomorphizing if you quit using words like this.

anthropomorphizing what?

Anthropomorphizing is exactly the point. Bikes like people all have their faults. No one brand or person is perfect. Getting rid of a bike because it broke is like getting rid of your kid because he wants to go to college. This is not to say that there are no lemons out there, or kids that don't need to go to reform school. Bikes, like people, break sometimes. If it is a matter of a lemon, style or just preference, I can understand. I hate to see anyone leaving BMW or MOA and would be the first to welcome him, or her, back. But just because the grass on the other side of the fence looks greener, doesn't mean it isn't grass.

Easy

Thumbs up Trouble with RTP

Your trouble with your R1100rtp may simply be due to the fact that it was used by law enforcement. Most of the guys using bmws for the first time in law enforcement have been coming off the Kawasakis and they are used to slipping a wet clutch. They tend to be very hard on clutches, rear ends and trannies. I have seen many new rtps up on the rack with a burnt up clutch, rear end, or transmission problems. You shouldn't experience the same problem. Your bike should be trouble free for many thousand miles unless you have the same riding style.
    Bmw has gone so far as to hire a former CHP motor officer who travels around the state of california to instruct motor offficers on how to use the clutch, transmission on the new rts so this problem can be avoided.
    The new R1200RTP has a very light weight clutch so this could be more of a problem yet in law enforement if they don't learn how to let the clutch out smoothly without slipping it.

Have fun and ride safe,

Steve

Rally Rat

Bmw???

Guys, set aside the BMW QUALITY mindset and think about this...

The transmission is harsh and clunky.... hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..
    The final drive goes out too often... hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..
    It vibrates alot...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..
    It requires expensive service...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..
    The seat is uncomfortable...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..
    You can't get to the battery (RT)...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..
    You adjust the valves too often...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..
    It's waaaaay expensive for what you get...hey, it's a whoa wait a minute,
    why the hell should we have to live with it....

Just a thought for you Harley bashers.... I love my 04' RT, but let's get real, it's not the greatest thing in the world, not even as good as it used to be, but hey, it's a BMW I can live with it!!!!

My Take on the Issues...

Not that you asked but (in red):

Quote Originally Posted by apopj
    Guys, set aside the BMW QUALITY mindset and think about this...

The transmission is harsh and clunky.... hey, it's a BMW I can live with it.. Anything but. My Harley on the other hand...
    The final drive goes out too often... hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..Really...other than a few models during a certain period, is this really true; IOWs, do statistics bear this out?
    It vibrates alot...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it.. Anything but. My Harley on the other hand...
    It requires expensive service...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it.. Seems on par with my Harley assuming you have the dealer service the bike at the recommended intervals.
    The seat is uncomfortable...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it.. Is there a stock seat by any manufacturer that makes a comfortable seat for everyone?
    You can't get to the battery (RT)...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it.. Not an issue with my GS and on par with my Harley and Suzuki.
    You adjust the valves too often...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it.. My Harley has one up on the Beemer here, but it's so easy to do this yourself during an oil change. Is this really an issue?
    It's waaaaay expensive for what you get...hey, it's a whoa wait a minute,
    why the hell should we have to live with it.... Oh I don't know, I think I must be the only person in the world that thinks that I got what I paid for and I'm actually happy. I work as hard as anyone for the money that I make but when I know what I want and determine that I can afford it and it provides the value that I desire, then I get it. My brother can't afford a GS so he got a V Strom. He's actually really happy with it. Heck I really like it but it isn't a GS. The GS is what I wanted for the capabilities that it has. No other bike had "it" for me. Of course I've had other V Strm and KTM owners go out of their way to prove to me that the GS is a lesser machine that costs way more. Oh well. As you say, IT'S A BMW I CAN LIVE WITH IT!!!.

Just a thought for you Harley bashers.... I love my 04' RT, but let's get real, it's not the greatest thing in the world, not even as good as it used to be, but hey, it's a BMW I can live with it!!!!

Here's my thoughts on this string. I have ridden, Triumphs, cushmans, harley davidsons, (including a little two stroke) BSA, Honda, Kawasaki, and BMW's. I currently ride a 1999 R1100R that I bought used April, 2005 with 16K on the clock, now has 28K, no problems so far. I enjoy the kind of people I meet riding BMW's but also have friends that ride other brands, including Harleys. My brother in law just sold his 04 RT and bought a new Honda ST1300. It's a beautiful, high speed sport tourer with an upright riding position, great seat etc. etc. I would love to have one but will not put out 14K for a bike. I would love to have an R1200AGS but again will not put out the kind of money needed to buy one. Maybe in about 3 more years I'll find a good used one an if the price is right buy it. I'd love to have a ZX-10R in the barn, or maybe a Duc. What I do know is I had mechanical, ergonomic etc.,etc. issues with all my bikes. The used ZX-11 i owned at one time was a great sport tourer but second gear went at around 16K on the clock. I mean i could go on and on. Ride a bunch of bikes, find one that suites your needs and budget. buy it, expect to spend money on it getting to where you want it to be for your kind of riding, expect it to break occasionally, fix it or sell it and get another. Lifes to short, so deal with it. Ride safe!

Rock throwing distance from Home Despot HQ

Too bad...

Too bad about the splines. Sounds like what we have is an owner who has not heard about the years and years old spline issues. Also sounds like the dealer may have let him down by not making appropriate recommendations.

Given the glacial pace BMW usually takes with respect to fixing such problems - like spline fretting, perhaps MOA ought to put together an FAQ or "Archive of Wisdom" as some other brand specific sites have just to help newer owners who may not be -er - prepared for certain inevitabilities. And BMW is hardly the only bike to have spline lube issues. Honda's sweet old ST11 needs regular attention to the drive hub splines. Wise ST pilots replace the hub o-rings and regrease every tire change. Over at the FJR site, Dale "Warchild" Wilson has repeatedly demonstrated FJR's being delivered from the factory with dry and even lightly rusted splines.

Needless comment: not an anti-Harley guy, just a guy with zero interest in the Motor Companies offerings. Geez, Louise...is there ANYWHERE I can go in the bike world and not have to hear about Harleys?

I officially deny my own lack of interest statement with respect to the offerings of Buell

DocZ
    MOA, Airheads, AMA Extra Mile, HSTA, Museum Supporter
    '93 R100RT
    '98 Honda ST1100

steviewonder
    I'm surprised at the swap from an '04 1150RT to a Honda ST1300. I test drove both when I bought my '04 RT and the response, brakes and handling of the BMW were clearly superior. If the ST has ABS, the price is within a couple of hundred dollars and the RT has better historical resale value.

Just goes to show that it's about different strokes for different folks.

I read more BMW bashing on this forum than all media outlets put together.I'm supprised there is enough people still ridding BMW's to have a BMWMOA.Just don't try harley bashing here, they'll eat you alive.I have to wonder how many who have had problems are serviceing their bikes like they should.I had less problems with my hd's than alot of other riders I knew and alot of them did not stay up on maintance as I did. Something goes wrong then they want to blame hd.I had good luck with my shovelhead,serviced it every 10K and changed the oil every 2K.Only had to do one upper end in 36K,other guy's I know did 2 or 3 upper ends in the same miles. My 89 EVO ran 46K with hardly any trouble except 3 stators.The service on my 2 BMW's I've owned has cost me less than the hd's.For 16K I got 130HP,heated grips,heated seat,electric windshield,ABS brakes,cruise control,removeable luggage,great handling,and exceptional all day comfort.For 16K from hd I would have got a windshield and saddle bags and still have expensive service if I had it serviced.Of course I could buy a motor kit for another 4K and bump it up 20 HP.I suppose I could drag my feet and help it stop better.I'll stick with the BMW and take my chances,bash on.

Rock throwing distance from Home Despot HQ

BMW bashing

I've noticed that, too. If you want to see BMW bashing, try Motorcycle Online or any of a number of others. MCN's forum is so "HarleyCentric" that it needs to be renamed. The Vstrom and FJR Forums are refreshing devoid of such nonesense.

One possible explaination for Harley boosting here: 8-10 yrs ago, "ON" did a poll on the #2 brand owned by BMW folks. Harley. I kid thee not. I still don't believe it, but I suppose it could be true - they walk among us.

BMW shops and people CAN be a little like High End Audio shops and fans - a bit "exclusive", ie excluding. I've seen it too many times both as an object and sadly, I might add: object. Methinks that + BMW price = bashing. Just a suspicion.

I have no idea what to think but as an old band once sung (NRBQ???) "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me that have a frontal lobotomy!"

Here I thought this was just a fit of feisty cannibalism before the national. brad

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    This thread isn't about BMWs; it's about Hal.

Gimmee a break.

Fred
    '02 R1150R (take it or leave it)

I don't get it someone goes out and buy's a 4-5 year old x-police cruiser. My bike tech friends say cops bikes are worse than rental cars.In fact my local dealer won't sell em to many problems.This "modern Bike" is now 2 evolutions ago and because it crapped out all new bikes of that ilk are ****e. Now I'm supposed to be scared to ride my Generaton bike because he had problems. I've been riding since 69 eveything from Spanish dirt and road bikes Asian multipurpose bikes Euro street bikes. Since 02 I put 60,000 miles on BMW's and haven't had more than my share of problems. I've never owned anything from the Motor Company because they have never built anything that I can relate to. But if they did I'd probably give them a try. Hey buddy your bike craped out on you it happens! Get over it and then get what you want and have fun. I'm having fun on my bike inspite of the Brand Bashing going on. When I see ya down the road I'll wave and hope you're having as much fun as I am.
    Knick
    R1200GS
    Vespa ET4

Retired and proud of it MOTORMAN's Avatar
    Just a point here. I went back and reread the start of the thread. I checked the posts from the guy that started the conversation. In no place did I find where he posted that he got the bike used. He may have been the original owner. I now of at least one other rider who bought the -P model new and doesn't work for a PD.

Finally a couple questions. Is spline lube a maintenance point on any of the services prior to 43,000 miles? If so, shouldn't the shop have noticed some wear if the out put shaft ends up shedding it's splines? I seem to recall some other posts about some model BMW's that had output shaft alignment problems. Was that all related to the newer oilheads?

steviewonder
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman
    Finally a couple questions. Is spline lube a maintenance point on any of the services prior to 43,000 miles? If so, shouldn't the shop have noticed some wear if the out put shaft ends up shedding it's splines? I seem to recall some other posts about some model BMW's that had output shaft alignment problems. Was that all related to the newer oilheads?
    Excellent point !!! It's not like the spline would wear down from near new to junk in a few miles, police bike or not.