• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R60/5 charging question

APEXERIC

I just bought a 1971 r60/5 today. I rode around town with it today, just to check it out. Then I sat down this evening to read the owner's manual. When I got to the section that states that the "charging indicator light (red) must be lit when the ignition is switched on" I realized that this was not occuring on my bike.

Is the replacement of this bulb and the subsequent proper operation of the charging system as simple as pulling the headlight assembly apart and replacing the bulb? Seems rather intimidating in there!!

Thank you.

I'm no pro, but I got a 1973?¢ R75/5 with the same problem. I've determined the alternator probably needs replacing.

To answer your question, Yes. Checking the bulb is as easy as removing the headlight from the housing and pulling the bulb and harness out of the fitting in the dash. Just takes a minute bit of effort.

If you determine the bulb is not bad, supposedly you should check the diode board.

The test I did was: after removing the negative (ground/earth) from the transmission housing I removed the front engine cover. I then reattached the negative wire and turned on the key to verify I was not getting a red light. Still none...

(Turn the engine off...)

So then I took off the little blue wire from the plastic unit on front of the alternator at the 12 o'clock position...

expose some of the metal at the end and touch it to the aluminum housing around the alternator... turn on the key (push it down)

check your red light. If it goes on you need a new alternator, supposedly...

good luck.

OM.

Oh, I should add that I already have replaced my diode. :|

OscarMayer said:
...So then I took off the little blue wire from the plastic unit on front of the alternator at the 12 o'clock position... expose some of the metal at the end and touch it to the aluminum housing around the alternator... turn on the key (push it down) check your red light. If it goes on you need a new alternator, supposedly...
If your alternator ROTOR is shot, the charge light will not glow with a stopped engine. You don't need a whole new alternator, just a rotor. Motorrad Electrik sells rebuilt ones, exchange, for a lot less that the BMW $tealer$hip wants. (And probably faster service, too.)

Indeed, Yesterday I placed my order for a new rotor. Thanks for the corretion. ;)

Back