• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My K75S needs Valve Surgery

Engine, tranny and driveline are in place. The rest of the bike has to go back together Saturday morning starting at 9am. Just got back from a wonderful dinner at Cafe Cruz with Ned & Sarah, Dave Brick, Conrad, Jon, and Darryl.

Let's hope the engine starts.

Burnszilla said:
Engine, tranny and driveline are in place. The rest of the bike has to go back together Saturday morning starting at 9am. Just got back from a wonderful dinner at Cafe Cruz with Ned & Sarah, Dave Brick, Conrad, Jon, and Darryl.

Let's hope the engine starts.

Arrrrrrrrgggghhhhh!

Operation successful. The new engine started after 2 cranks. I will post photos tomorrow.

Only problem now is that my radiator is leaking along the seam on the right side. I took it apart and put RTV on the gasket and resealed it. We'll see if that fixes it.

It just never stops.

Burnszilla said:
It just never stops.

of course, the other choice is to buy a new bike and then complain about how all the electronic doo-dads make it impossible to work on. :D

aren't there more photos?

username said:
of course, the other choice is to buy a new bike and then complain about how all the electronic doo-dads make it impossible to work on. :D

aren't there more photos?
There are WAY more photos. Be prepared for modem meltdown later. :p

Success!

All I've got to say is thanks to DarrylRi and Jon Diaz for helping me replace
my engine. These guys are great! We had a lot of fun doing this job.

DarrylRi. Removing the old engine...
165929319_65cb1d71d9.jpg

Jon Diaz...
165929447_948d595a1f.jpg

Before Room Temperature Vulcanization-izing the oil pan...
165930018_dddff559e3.jpg

Crank case cover gasket installation..
165929936_0c2fe27b73.jpg

165929905_3af03c8225.jpg

Jon getting high off of all the carb cleaner fumes...
165930200_183affbcfa.jpg

New engine in place..
165930317_bd5884fa81.jpg

Day 2..
It started up after 2 cranks.
165930454_226189164c.jpg

All the Photos Here

I had a lot of fun flying out for this. Burnszilla definitely knows his way around his motorcycle (I was mostly shop decoration, as you can see from the pics) and dealt with all the the parts we broke/stripped with a smile. :D

And thanks to Darryl for the hospitality and the Flinstones-style rib feed on Saturday!

High Altitude

It's just a true jumper to the computer. Open circuit for sea level, closed for high altitude.

God, I love this place ....it's better than the Discovery Channel.

I live in Colo Springs (approx 6500' above sea level) and did not know that.

Assume that the 91 K100 could be modified as well?

Hi, Don,
The 2-valve bikes (K75 and K100/8valve) can use the high altitude plug. The 4-valve bikes (Motronic engine management system) do NOT use the high altitude plug. I believe a '91 K100LT still has the 2-valve engine so, yes, at your altitude you should have the plug. If you don't, your dealer will be happy to sell you one. They aren't too expensive. The last one I bought was under $10, but that was almost 3 years ago. Your wiring harness has a cap on the connection. Your local dealer should be familiar with these and can show you where the plug is installed in the wiring harness.
Ride Safe,

Back