• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

15% Ethanol Gasoline Blend Coming Soon

E15 is ok to use in any engine newer than 2001 according to literature, no modifications required. The 1250 should like the higher octane rating.

Wonder if BMW made any changes in the motor between the 1200 wethead and the 1250 to accommodate E15? Or is the difference in documentation simply because E10 was the prevalent blend when the 1200 wethead was the current bike and the advent of E15 coincided with the introduction of the 1250? Maybe John Gamel (BMW Consumer Liaison) could research this for us.

Thanks for asking jgoertz. BMW provides the information about fuel requirements for motorcycles delineated by model. The information can be found in the "Rider Manual" for each bike. Anyone can look up the fuel requirements for his/her BMW motorcycle by looking at the manual for the bike. The BMW Motorrad website provides manuals for all bikes at this URL: https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/service/manuals/rider-manual.html

I took a look at two manuals to see what they said about fuel requirements. Here are two screenshots of the fuel requirements for vastly different engines (as examples). The first is for an early model R18:

Screenshot 2023-05-06 at 7.36.45 AM.png

The second is for a newer M1000RR:

Screenshot 2023-05-06 at 7.40.41 AM.png

As you can see from the manual pages, the R18 is probably good with a range of ethanol products, but the M1000RR has dramatically different requirements. Anyway, as noted, the manuals are the source of this information and are easily accessible to anyone interested.

Great info above. :thumb

It also tells me that the R18 and the S1000 are full out gas guzzlers! For reference, my R1200RS travelling at a steady 120 km/h averages 4.4L/100km. That's using 93 octane pure fuel.

I think the E15 flap is about not much. E15 is in a fairly large number of stations, along with E10. This latest thing allows it to be sold longer/more but does not mandate anything.

Thanks for asking jgoertz. BMW provides the information about fuel requirements for motorcycles delineated by model. The information can be found in the "Rider Manual" for each bike. Anyone can look up the fuel requirements for his/her BMW motorcycle by looking at the manual for the bike. The BMW Motorrad website provides manuals for all bikes at this URL: https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/service/manuals/rider-manual.html

I took a look at two manuals to see what they said about fuel requirements. Here are two screenshots of the fuel requirements for vastly different engines (as examples). The first is for an early model R18:

View attachment 91797

The second is for a newer M1000RR:

View attachment 91798

As you can see from the manual pages, the R18 is probably good with a range of ethanol products, but the M1000RR has dramatically different requirements. Anyway, as noted, the manuals are the source of this information and are easily accessible to anyone interested.

I've looked at the manuals for my 2015. In 2015, E15 wasn't readily available. BMW specified E10 for the R1200RT that year (referenced in my manual). In 2019, E15 was more readily available and BMW specified it as acceptable for R1250RT. My question remains -- what changes, if any, were made to the R1250RT to allow it to be approved for E15? Or was it simply a case of specifying what was available at the time (hopefully after adequate testing). Yes, I prefer non-E gas, but when travelling, you never know what will be available at the only station in the next small time.

Would the computer controlled ignition system be able to adjust timing, etc, to work with E15? Not sure if earlier ignition systems were programmed with enough internal extension to handle it...since E15 was still a bit unknown.

Perhaps it's considered a no-no to resurrect an old thread. If so, my apologies. But I just got my brand-new R1250RS home yesterday and I don't know what fuel to run in it. The owner's manual says to run premium unleaded up to E15. Heck, I'll gladly pay $10 (well, maybe not gladly) for whatever is best. I own a 1977 Yamaha RD400 and I absolutely refuse to use ethanol in it. I have a Raceway station not far away, so I use their E0. I forget what Raceway's E0 octane rating is. I believe that it's 91, but not sure. Since I seldom ride the RD, I religiously use Star-Tron stabilizer, also. So what do I feed my new BMW - E0 or 93 octane ethanol blend. When it comes to 93 octane, I assume that I should stick to top-tier? What's the best brand? Shell? Chevron? Other?

Perhaps it's considered a no-no to resurrect an old thread. If so, my apologies. But I just got my brand-new R1250RS home yesterday and I don't know what fuel to run in it. The owner's manual says to run premium unleaded up to E15. Heck, I'll gladly pay $10 (well, maybe not gladly) for whatever is best. I own a 1977 Yamaha RD400 and I absolutely refuse to use ethanol in it. I have a Raceway station not far away, so I use their E0. I forget what Raceway's E0 octane rating is. I believe that it's 91, but not sure. Since I seldom ride the RD, I religiously use Star-Tron stabilizer, also. So what do I feed my new BMW - E0 or 93 octane ethanol blend. When it comes to 93 octane, I assume that I should stick to top-tier? What's the best brand? Shell? Chevron? Other?

Welcome to the forum. No problem with bringing up a old thread.
The manual calls for 90 AKI, 95 RON. I prefer to use E0 when it's available.

The manual is a little weird on that page but it appears BMW wants 95 RON. 95 RON converts to 91 AKI.
Fuel.jpg

Welcome to the forum. No problem with bringing up a old thread.
The manual calls for 90 AKI, 95 RON. I prefer to use E0 when it's available.

The manual is a little weird on that page but it appears BMW wants 95 RON. 95 RON converts to 91 AKI.
View attachment 92023

Awesome, Lee - thank you SO much!

I'm exceptionally happy to be here...and to be a BMW owner once again.

I just buy high-test gas from name brand stations unless I can get non-ethanol. Non-ethanol is not really available locally.
OM

Brand isn't important as long as you buy it from a place that does enough business to get their tanks filled on a regular basis, and unless you're seriously in the middle of nowhere, that should be just about anyplace. The thing is, gasoline is a fungible commodity and it all comes from a common supply-chain (pipeline system), and only gets the additive-packages that are brand-specific blended in when it goes into the truck to be delivered to the stations. In other words, except for the additives, it's all the same stuff. That said, the top-tier brands have better additives. Don't over-think it, just buy fuel from anyplace that doesn't give you a bad vibe and enjoy the ride.

Back