• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Parking under hotel canopy

ramble

ohbeemer
Arrived at the hotel in the rain. They made it clear before check-in that I could not leave it there. I've heard that fire officials don't like it, or are there complaints from cagers? I can understand it if there are multiple bikes. What up? A night managers power trip?

I've been allowed to park under the canopy and been denied same when I've asked. When parking under the canopy, I move the bike where THEY want it parked. That's usually up against the inside curb opposite the entrance.

One rainy night in Alaska after dark I pulled into a place looking for a room. The attendant said right down the road on the opposite side, they allow bikes under the canopy. When I approached that place and they saw the bike out front, the attendant told me where to put it and he and his replacement would watch it on camera all night. I handed him a 20.00, and said thank you.

Next morning, I walked into the lobby readying the motor for departure, and the replacement on desk was handed a 20.00 after he mentioned he'd watched it for me all night, no one had come close to it. I saw the camera he was watching, bike was front and center. That's the kind of place that I really appreciate.

I always ask, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Worth asking

Most, if not all, states/county/cities have fire regulations that clearly state that doorways must not be obstructed, outside and inside.
Some cagers are afraid of nasty bikers and their dirty machines.
Always best to ask.

Annie was riding home from Chicago a few years back. She stopped for fuel somewhere in eastern South Dakota. It was windy so she was riding on a feeder road that paralleled the interstate. She went inside to pay and to get a drink when the clerk said he couldn’t let her go. Of course alarm bells went off in her head but the guy quickly had her look at the weather radar on his phone. A huge wind storm full of dust and sand was close. He told her that he had called the manager of a local motel and he would meet her at the front door. When she got there the guy helped her put her bike inside the foyer. He told her that they should have the door dug out by the time she finished breakfast the next morning. Sure enough the next morning there was over a foot of sand in front of the entrance.

We have had so many say no if asked only to return again and not ask without any issues. Some cities as mentioned have fire codes they cite, blocking an entrance is weak unless your Annie :lol

It seems hit or miss as we use same chain a lot with different policies across the states.

Once in a western ‘burb of Houston, I got a call from desk and went out to discuss my serious breakage of rules with the local Leo… thought odd I was on private property and a call from desk would prob had been easier. On that one I was on opposite curb from doors and behind the church van :brow

Most, if not all, states/county/cities have fire regulations that clearly state that doorways must not be obstructed, outside and inside.
Some cagers are afraid of nasty bikers and their dirty machines.
Always best to ask.

What I'm told more often when it's no is that the fire trucks need that canopy area clear when their trucks roll up.

The Hampton Inn in Gallup, NM allows motorcycles to park under the canopy.

And, the hotel is so motorcycle-friendly that they even place orange cones around you bike for additional protection.

Highly recommend this hotel if you're riding out west.

The Hampton Inn in Gallup, NM allows motorcycles to park under the canopy.

And, the hotel is so motorcycle-friendly that they even place orange cones around you bike for additional protection.

Highly recommend this hotel if you're riding out west.

The Hampton Inns everywhere have been very good to my brother and I on our summer tours [ about parking under the canopy ]. One somewhere in SD told us to put one on each side of the front door entrance area under the inner overhang instead of out at the curb under the canopy so he and his employees could keep an eye on them from the lobby.

What I really appreciate about being allowed to put them under cover for the evening is we don't need to put the moto covers on the bikes.

And then there are the ones where the night clerk's car is taking up the curb-space under there. I have a road-warrior job and see this surprisingly often.

Perhaps we a gaining clout. At the HIE in Wytheville there is posted MC parking only, only it's not covered....yet. Just need more corporate level enthusiast's going to bat for us.

Perhaps we a gaining clout. At the HIE in Wytheville there is posted MC parking only, only it's not covered....yet. Just need more corporate level enthusiast's going to bat for us.

Last summer I checked in very late at the Prince Albert Hotel in Thunder Bay. There was no canopy but a designated motorcycle only parking section, complete with a parking lot security guard. Having arrived late, I was on the outskirts of that designated area, parked between many bikes and next to an open pickup truck with a bed filled with camping gear.

When I left early the next morning, security was still in the parking lot and the open pickup, still had all the camping gear. :clap

A couple weeks ago we pulled under the fare side of the canopy to check in at a Clinton, Mo motel.
After check-in Debbie asked the lady if we should leave our bikes where we parked. She said they only allow 2 bikes to park there because of fire regulations. She said if any more bikes show up we would need to move.
She made it sound like the late riders could park there but we would have to move :dunno
I didn't want to mess with moving later so we parked by our room window which was better.
Outside Debbie was laughing at the strange logic and how I kept my mouth shut.
Parkview Clinton Mo (4).jpg

The motel at Leakey Texas tells us to park under the covered area unless a large group has plans for it.
Leaky (4).jpg

One year there was a threat of hail and we moved tables to make room for one couple's truck.
Leaky (9).jpg

And then there are the ones where the night clerk's car is taking up the curb-space under there. I have a road-warrior job and see this surprisingly often.

3 or 4 places on this last trip did that but it was the owners or managers who lived on site.

This is turning out to be an interesting topic...one that would be good conversation at a rally campfire! Since my original posting, I asked a clerk if they preferred a spot for bikes and she said Oh.... .in front of the Fire Lane signs across from the lobby. My mouth fell open, as she continued with, " We put them there, so it's OK". :scratch Turns out it looked like a fast lane past the canopy so I put it in a car spot and got out the cover.

Hotel Seville in Harrison Arkansas has good parking and a bike wash area.

P1020799.JPG

P1020801.JPG

P1000388.JPG

A nice find Lee. Was it always a hotel?

The Hotel Seville is a historic hotel building at Vine and Ridge Streets in downtown Harrison, Arkansas. It is an L-shaped three story wood-frame structure, finished in brick and terra cotta veneer with distinctive Spanish Revival (Mission) styling. Its eastern entry porch is supported by polychrome terra cotta pillars, and portions of the exterior are finished in terra cotta tile with inset geometric patterns. Built in 1929, the building is one of the most elaborate examples of Spanish Revival architecture in the state. It was used as a hotel until the mid-1970s, when it was converted to elderly housing. It has since been converted back to a hotel.[2]

The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.[1]

P1000385.JPG

Back