• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Low vs normal seat and comfort

ncangler

I currently ride a 2016 R1200Rt with the BMW normal seat height in the low position. I'm 5'8" with 30.5 inseam.

I'm ready to order a Sargent seat. My question is: I could benefit from the low seat vs. the standard. But would I lose comfort on long rides with less seat foam?

Does anyone have experience with both the low seat and standard seat Sargent, that experienced a difference.

Thank you,
Jay

I currently ride a 2016 R1200Rt with the BMW normal seat height in the low position. I'm 5'8" with 30.5 inseam.

I'm ready to order a Sargent seat. My question is: I could benefit from the low seat vs. the standard. But would I lose comfort on long rides with less seat foam?

Does anyone have experience with both the low seat and standard seat Sargent, that experienced a difference.

Thank you,
Jay

Your backside probably won't but your knees may suffer with the low seat. Mine did (and I don't have knee issues). I am similar in size, had a low seat, and ended up buying a standard (BMW) seat after doing a tour which encompassed 5-600 km days. 32" inseam.

5'8", 28 inseam. I have the low Sargent and run it in the low position. I've done several long days and only had some minor discomfort at about 6-800 or so miles. The Sargent low does transfer some heat in the low position but it's not to the point I want to move it to the high position. I do like the low Sargent.

That said, I bought the Sargent because Russell was seriously backed up when I wanted to order and opted for the Sargent because it was available within a little over a week. Excellent service and a really good price for the quality.

Having been on the Sargent for a couple years now, I've decided to get on the list to send my factory seat off to Russell. Having run Russell's for a lot of years on five bikes, I know what the difference is for me. I ran the IBR on a Russell with no discomfort at all.

Sargent seat

I've had both on my 2015 RT, the low and the std. height from Sargent. The low was good for reaching the ground but its too "U" shaped if you know what I mean. It tucks in a small pocket with no room for the "boys" up front. When you brake hard you will know it! Also your legs/knees will be a lot less relaxed. I had to install the footpeg lowering (about and inch) and that helped a lot. Decided to sell the LOW and ordered the standard height. As for the less padding on the low seat, I didn't feel it was too bad but the arch in the seat was the killer for me.

I have a BMS seat on my RT though Rocky has passed the guys that have the shop now do superb job and fast service can’t say enough about my seat

Thank you,
Jay
No one mentioned this so I will FWIW. The seat pan (the hard frame on which padding is added) is exactly the same for both the LOW and the STANDARD seats. They even have the same part numbers. The difference is in the amount of padding. The Low seat has far less padding. I have both and switch back and forth depending on how technical my riding is going to be. I can tell you from frequent experience that the Low seat immediately feels harder and you will get fanny fatigue sooner with it on longer rides.
I also have a Russel Day Long. It's the most comfortable by far, but ride height is at least an inch higher than the Standard seat height! And that's with over a thousand miles on the seat.

Another note the foam used in the Sargent seats is far better than foam in OEM seats. So a low Sargent should perform much better than a low OEM.

No one mentioned this so I will FWIW. The seat pan (the hard frame on which padding is added) is exactly the same for both the LOW and the STANDARD seats. They even have the same part numbers. The difference is in the amount of padding. The Low seat has far less padding. I have both and switch back and forth depending on how technical my riding is going to be. I can tell you from frequent experience that the Low seat immediately feels harder and you will get fanny fatigue sooner with it on longer rides.
I also have a Russel Day Long. It's the most comfortable by far, but ride height is at least an inch higher than the Standard seat height! And that's with over a thousand miles on the seat.

Well, I was going to say, exactly this^^. All I can add is that I also have a sheepskin that's seen me through 3 motorcycles so far. It's always been beneficial, and rolls right up and stores away if you're not in the mood for it. Rolled up it also makes a great pillow for those times when you just have to stretch out on the table top at a rest area. :laugh

Well, I was going to say, exactly this^^. All I can add is that I also have a sheepskin that's seen me through 3 motorcycles so far. It's always been beneficial, and rolls right up and stores away if you're not in the mood for it. Rolled up it also makes a great pillow for those times when you just have to stretch out on the table top at a rest area. :laugh

[Note to self: Bring fire extinguisher sized can of Clorox spray if riding a half day behind Stebe.]

Back