• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dealer availability- Same old story

motodan

Got bike needing first service, three dealers are booked up to end of March already. Got a local Harley/Beta/Royal Enfield dealer who can do it and I have a 911 to check codes/set next service date. So thinking of using non BMW dealer. Anyone experience a problem with mothership/warranty when going this route? Will have correct filter/oil receipts in hand.

Well, I don't know the answer to that for sure but I bet BMW would frown upon it. I doubt they would have issues if you did the service yourself and had receipts for everything like oil and filter etc purchased from your dealer of course. On your bike do you have to check valve clearance on the first service? Not sure how you do that on one of these new shift cam models. Knowing BMW it probably requires some special tool. Why not just ask your dealer if a non-BMW dealer not certified to do maintenance on a new BMW could do the first service? Or contact BMW USA and ask. Worse thing is they would say no.

Myself personally if I had just forked over the bucks for a new BMW I would not do anything that could put the warranty at risk. I would just play the game and make an appointment at the dealership where I purchased the bike. What the heck it's winter isn't it?

If you decide to have the brand X dealers do the job, I’d suggest you buy the oil and filter at the BMW shop where you bought the bike or where you intend to have future service performed, and save the receipts. I’d also suggest you get a copy of the maintenance schedule/checklist for the F750GS if you can find it. Closest I could come with minimal search time is the F800GS document, at:
https://www.ascycles.com/ServiceSchedules/F800GS-600-mile-motorcycle-service-schedule

The servicing technician (or you, should you decide to do it yourself) should have that checklist to follow and you’ll want to keep the properly completed/annotated document in your file. There’s more to the initial service than just an oil & filter change.

And of course, your best bet is to just book it at the dealership and not have to worry about it. I prefer to do that in person, and a box of pastries for the shop guys can sometimes make the scheduling more amenable. Just sayin’…

Best,
DeVern

How far past the first service mileage do you think you will go? It's OK to go past it.
If you think you'll go a lot over, then book it now with the other dealer.
Keep the receipt showing the mileage and that the proper oil was used and print out the checklist (which is minimal- check this, check that,) and check everything off, and you're good warranty-wise. Many many people do their own first service and there's no warranty issue, so between you and a dealer doing it you're good.

I’m struggling to remember a single instance in which a dealership demanded to see an owner’s maintenance records before performing warranty repairs. I’ve done all my own maintenance for many years and I keep a record of all my work. I have never been asked about them, let alone asked to produce them, by a dealer.

OP here. It is an odd winter. Some freezing - some 60+ degrees and not much ice/snow in my area. Closest dealer is 165 miles away. No dealer can schedule bike till end of March. I have BMW oil/filters and do most of my own services. However like to always have first service done at a dealer…therein lies the dilemma. No valve check due at first service and I have GS-911 for codes. So guess I have a local dealer with at least a Certified mechanic do the work even though not BMW. I use to work at the local BMW dealership when we had one. We never had a fully certified mechanic however, BMW just turned their Corp head the other way on that. Funny how all this works sometimes. As long as dealer gets their money everything is okay - I guess. Semi rant off.

OP here. It is an odd winter. Some freezing - some 60+ degrees and not much ice/snow in my area. Closest dealer is 165 miles away. No dealer can schedule bike till end of March. I have BMW oil/filters and do most of my own services. However like to always have first service done at a dealer…therein lies the dilemma. No valve check due at first service and I have GS-911 for codes. So guess I have a local dealer with at least a Certified mechanic do the work even though not BMW. I use to work at the local BMW dealership when we had one. We never had a fully certified mechanic however, BMW just turned their Corp head the other way on that. Funny how all this works sometimes. As long as dealer gets their money everything is okay - I guess. Semi rant off.

Not to go off on a dealer funny business rant... but back when my 1200RT quit and was towed to the dealer for warranty repair, when I picked it up I was told their printer was out of order and they could't print me a copy of the repair order and they would mail it out to me later. Even though while I had been waiting in line I saw several things get spit out of their laser printer that was 8 feet away from me. Oh, and said receipt never was mailed to me. Makes me wonder what items they padded the repair invoice that they sent to BMW for reimbursement.

Okay, just one more...my brother had a first service on his BMW scooter at the BMW dealer last August. He picks up scoot, pays bill and I ask did they find any codes. They said their computer wasn't working, so they didn't check. Apparently they weren't going to mention that. Now, that same dealership (in central Illinois), doesn't even have a website up and running. Noted that it changed hands about a year ago and is now part of a four "Powersports" dealership group in Illinois. However, BMW still list them as a dealer. Unless it is a complex repair, under warranty, I do believe one is better off doing any and all work they can themselves. And I say that knowing their are some really good dealers when it comes to service, but what percentage I'm not sure (50/50?).

Okay, just one more...my brother had a first service on his BMW scooter at the BMW dealer last August. He picks up scoot, pays bill and I ask did they find any codes. They said their computer wasn't working, so they didn't check. Apparently they weren't going to mention that. Now, that same dealership (in central Illinois), doesn't even have a website up and running. Noted that it changed hands about a year ago and is now part of a four "Powersports" dealership group in Illinois. However, BMW still list them as a dealer. Unless it is a complex repair, under warranty, I do believe one is better off doing any and all work they can themselves. And I say that knowing their are some really good dealers when it comes to service, but what percentage I'm not sure (50/50?).

It's not the dealership, it is the mechanic.

Ask a few questions before you schedule the service: has the mechanic worked on BMWs, or, is the mechanic comfortable working on BMWs, is the computer working, do they have motor oil that is approved by BMW, etc. Also, ask the name of the mechanic who will be working on the bike. There is a Yamaha dealership less than 2 miles from me that has worked on my bike twice, and did a good job.

"Trust but verify." I always inspect the bike before riding off. :thumb

Let us know how it turns out.

E.

Last edited:
Got bike needing first service, three dealers are booked up to end of March already. Got a local Harley/Beta/Royal Enfield dealer who can do it and I have a 911 to check codes/set next service date. So thinking of using non BMW dealer. Anyone experience a problem with mothership/warranty when going this route? Will have correct filter/oil receipts in hand.
The dealer you purchased from should squeeze you in. We would at BMW Detroit.

Federal law protects you

That would be against the law. You are allowed to perform dervice yourself or by any other shop besides the dealership.

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-articles-eg/making-the-most-of-your-auto-warranty.html

I believe it is against the law for BMW to deny your claims if you have documentation that the service was performed, no matter who did it.

I know that the Commonwealth of Mass. is pursuing this pretty hard so consumers can service their own vehicles without fear of warranty issues later.

Back