• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ride Planning to 50th from Cental New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohhcrap

I’m starting to plan my ride and would like some local input about Rt 220 & 15 through Pa. I was going to pick 220 up in South Waverly , on to I180 then pick up Rt 15 to skirt DC area then on to Rt 17 and 95S.
Curious about the road conditions and any recommendations.

I travel a lot between Raleigh and Lexington NY to visit my daughter so I'm familiar with some of your route. Hwy 15 between Harrisburg and Frederick is mostly 4 lane with a few traffic lights in Dillsburg. You're smart to avoid DC as the 270/495 to 95S link is terrible. Joining 95S at Fredericksburg is usually a safe bet but you may still encounter some heavy traffic, but that's hit or miss. There are several routes that parallel 95S in case you find yourself stuck. I think your route looks pretty good.

Doug

I travel a lot between Raleigh and Lexington NY to visit my daughter so I'm familiar with some of your route. Hwy 15 between Harrisburg and Frederick is mostly 4 lane with a few traffic lights in Dillsburg. You're smart to avoid DC as the 270/495 to 95S link is terrible. Joining 95S at Fredericksburg is usually a safe bet but you may still encounter some heavy traffic, but that's hit or miss. There are several routes that parallel 95S in case you find yourself stuck. I think your route looks pretty good.

Doug

Small world. I grew up in Jewett.

I’m starting to plan my ride and would like some local input about Rt 220 & 15 through Pa. I was going to pick 220 up in South Waverly , on to I180 then pick up Rt 15 to skirt DC area then on to Rt 17 and 95S.
Curious about the road conditions and any recommendations.

Personally I would ride down through West Virginia and Virginia, depending on your time.

If you need route advice, let me know.

Ride to the rally

ohhcrap, I'm west of you outside Rochester. I've been planning my ride since Thanksgiving. I'm mostly using US-15 to Frederick. Then US-340 west and head south for US-17. That will run me to US-1 down to VA-30 to Doswell. I'm spitting it into 2 days and staying in Frederick then to the rally on Thur. The whole thing is about 9 to 10 hours and that's not in the cards for me. Frederick is about 6. Thur will only be around 3 hours. Just something to look at while your planning.
Mick

Personally I would ride down through West Virginia and Virginia, depending on your time.

If you need route advice, let me know.

My thoughts exactly. I run up along I-81 to NJ all the time and to visit our son outside of Baltimore. I like 15 and 340 through VA but the west side of I-81 is even better if you have the time. I riding to Richmond with 2 buddies from Canada and will probably meet them in upstate NY and meander through WV and VA. Lots of great roads and POI's along that route.

Coming from Toronto - Question about theft safety

My old BMWs and the Suzuki were never theft targets but here's my question.

When i ride down to the 50th I thought I might be a tourist in Washington for a bit. Should I be thinking about locks and other theft deterrents while in the city?

My old BMWs and the Suzuki were never theft targets but here's my question.

When i ride down to the 50th I thought I might be a tourist in Washington for a bit. Should I be thinking about locks and other theft deterrents while in the city?

It depends on a individual. There is many of hotels near the transit lines where you can stay at and then you can park leave you bike in safe area at the hotels. Then you can jump on the transit system go anywhere in the city. If you have military status you many military bases to choose from to stay at in the Washington DC area that are also near transit systems. The other option is if you decide to go DC when you are at the rally is catch the Amtrack train. from the Asland station into DC and back that evening. Amtrack has a station in the heart of DC.

It depends on a individual. There is many of hotels near the transit lines where you can stay at and then you can park leave you bike in safe area at the hotels. Then you can jump on the transit system go anywhere in the city. If you have military status you many military bases to choose from to stay at in the Washington DC area that are also near transit systems. The other option is if you decide to go DC when you are at the rally is catch the Amtrack train. from the Asland station into DC and back that evening. Amtrack has a station in the heart of DC.

That is a GREAT suggestion and the best way to explore the DC area. We used to attend the International Motorcycle Show in DC and as suggested would book a hotel well out of the downtown area but close to the Metro and then just hop on the metro. Traffic in the DC area is the worst I have ever seen and I grew up in the NY/NJ area.

The only time I worry about theft or security of my stuff is in big busy areas which is about 1% of the time I am riding. I never lock up my stuff but then am never in an area I consider high risk. But if I were parking in the busy DC touristy area I would probably lock up.

But with parking and traffic being awful I would do just what vetbmwrider suggested .... get a hotel outside of the downtown and leave the bike there is a safe place. You can keep most of your valuables in your hotel room.

Good luck!

Last time I was in DC, once I lost sight of the capitol area building(s) things got sketchy really fast.

OM

That is a GREAT suggestion and the best way to explore the DC area. We used to attend the International Motorcycle Show in DC and as suggested would book a hotel well out of the downtown area but close to the Metro and then just hop on the metro. Traffic in the DC area is the worst I have ever seen and I grew up in the NY/NJ area.

The only time I worry about theft or security of my stuff is in big busy areas which is about 1% of the time I am riding. I never lock up my stuff but then am never in an area I consider high risk. But if I were parking in the busy DC touristy area I would probably lock up.

But with parking and traffic being awful I would do just what vetbmwrider suggested .... get a hotel outside of the downtown and leave the bike there is a safe place. You can keep most of your valuables in your hotel room.

Good luck!

After posting my suggestion i did some checking on Amtrack prices from Ashland Station to Union Station the prices range from $11.00 to 50.00 one way. The prices depend on the time a individual leaves Ashland Station. The last Train leaves Union Station around 7pm back to Ashland station. The train ride is about 2 hours. At the Ashland Station has free parking and from my understanding the Ashland station is in a low crime area. So the price of the train ride can pay for parking in the DC area and can make a good day trip.

I did not do a lot of research but a quick look found a Marriott Courtyard that is a short walk to the Dunn Loring Merrifield Metro Station. It also looks like they have free parking at the Courtyard. I'd do something like that and metro into the DC attractions. There may be a few you would need to ride to but most of the stuff is walkable once you get close to the monuments. In addition there is a newer Air and Space Museum outside if DC in Chantilly that I hear is worth the visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back