• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2016RT cases

cbmma1969

Anybody else have an issue with the sidecases not locking on the bike? Both of my side cases are being temperamental about locking down. A friend's 2015 RT has the same problem.

My experience is that they've got to be very precisely aligned with the bike's attachment points.

Anybody else have an issue with the sidecases not locking on the bike? Both of my side cases are being temperamental about locking down. A friend's 2015 RT has the same problem.

If you're referring to the locks, a few drops of TriFlow worked into the mechanisms may help. That's what I did, and have been gentle when locking/unlocking ever since on my 2016 RT. YMMV.

+1 what ExGMan said.

If you're talking about attaching them to the bike, try jiggling them around a bit as you're trying to attach them to the bike.

For me, with my Illium Works rear crash bars installed, I need to exert some slight outward and upward pressure on the bottom of the pannier near the front. This serves to engage the little "button" for the upper front mount point.

Be patient and don't force the latch. When things are aligned they latch to the bike easily.

If you're referring to the locks, a few drops of TriFlow worked into the mechanisms may help. That's what I did, and have been gentle when locking/unlocking ever since on my 2016 RT. YMMV.

+1 what ExGMan said.

Could you elaborate on this? Right into the lock where the key goes? Or taking the bags apart to get to the mechanism? My top box is a little harder than the panniers to open the latch when pushing the button.

Thanks

Could you elaborate on this? Right into the lock where the key goes? Or taking the bags apart to get to the mechanism? My top box is a little harder than the panniers to open the latch when pushing the button.

Thanks

The lock where the key goes. TriFlow helps all kinds of sticky locks, it doesn’t take much, a drop or two is generally enough.

I'll try the triflo idea and see if it helps. I've taken the case apart and relubricated all the sliding parts and that didn't solve the issue.
I'm aware the cases are sensitive to alignment and have jiggled them and reset them with out success in latching them on. Last time what succeeded in getting the case to lacth on was bouncing it down the road when it came off on a bump.

I had an issue with the latch mechanism on my '17 RT's side cases. I took the cases apart then cleaned and lubed the mechanism. There's a part in there that slides from side to side and was catching on a stationary part. Before reassembling the mechanism to the case I used a small file to slightly round the edge where it was catching. The result was the latch works better than ever. Sorry I don't have any pix of the process but I will say that it's straight forward to get in there and take care of things. Just remember where all the screws go and it'll work out great.
First thing is to remove the lid from the back part of the case then get in there to clean, file, lube and reassemble.

side cases

My experience with my 2016 RT is that the cases have to be totally seated before I can latch them to the bike. Oddly enough BMW uses the same locking and mounting that Yamaha uses on their FJR, and was the same way on that bike also. Like anything you do with BMW , patience and detail matters the most.

My experience with my 2016 RT is that the cases have to be totally seated before I can latch them to the bike. Oddly enough BMW uses the same locking and mounting that Yamaha uses on their FJR, and was the same way on that bike also. Like anything you do with BMW , patience and detail matters the most.

But, once correctly latched, no bungee cords needed!

If you can’t fix the locking mechanism with lube or cleaner, remember, the side case are original equipment on the RT. if you have an extended warranty, replacing all of the latching mechanisms in the shell (a little over $600) is covered by warranty. Had mine replaced under RPM-1 at the dealer… right before I totaled the bike hitting a deer.

32A8EB97-0509-4E32-A076-1DF72E0FF4CB.jpg

Back