• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adding Mirrors to R1150RT

gn4hir

I will add some of my own pictures to this in the next few days but I wanted to give a couple of thumbs up to this article over at RT Boxer. Came across this and used the links to Motor Works to get a set of mirrors to Houston from UK in about 10 days for about $150 USD and with 5 minutes of trimming/grinding the left mount to clear my 'choke' lever, and 10 minutes to bolt the mirrors in place, I have a much better view of what is behind me. https://rtboxer.wordpress.com/2011/01/06/auxiliary-mirrors/#comment-6978

Overall the look is pretty good. Guys at Motor Works emailed me the day after my order to tell me I was ordering 1200 mirrors not 1150 mirrors (which I knew) which I thought was insightful of them. Really impressed with the selection of gear at Motor Works and the quick shipping, will keep them in mind for future parts.

Looks pretty goofy to me, but a safety improvement is never a bad thing.

If I were going to add extra mirrors I'd probably add some that were on the end of the bars, and do some modification to make them integrate/fit with bar end weights.

I put GS mirrors on my RT.
They fit in the hole as the switch assembly is the same for both bikes.
The handlebar mirrors point back and the fairing mirrors cover my blind spot.
I can see both with a glance, this combo has saved me a few times when cars zoomed into my blind spot.

I put GS mirrors on my RT.
They fit in the hole as the switch assembly is the same for both bikes.
The handlebar mirrors point back and the fairing mirrors cover my blind spot.
I can see both with a glance, this combo has saved me a few times when cars zoomed into my blind spot.

Similar but not the same, I put GS mirrors on my '97 K1100LT, and now on my K75RTP. I have yet to figure out how narrow a person needs to be for K75RT mirrors to work correctly. Maybe 6'4" at 112 pounds.

Last edited:
Similar but not the same, I put GS mirrors on my '97 K1100LT, and now on my K75RTP. I have yet to figure out how narrow a person needs to be for RT mirrors to work correctly. Maybe 6'4" at 112 pounds.

I'm 6'2", 200 lbs. Mirrors on my '03 R1150RT are in a perfect location. Rearward visibility is excellent. I have no blind-spot issues.

At best, those auxiliary mirrors look silly. At worst, they are hideous. (IMHO)

I'm 6'2", 200 lbs. Mirrors on my '03 R1150RT are in a perfect location. Rearward visibility is excellent. I have no blind-spot issues.

At best, those auxiliary mirrors look silly. At worst, they are hideous. (IMHO)

I agree they might look a little weird, but usefulness trumps purity every day when I am riding.

I, too, ride an '03 R1150RT. I'm 5'6" and a bit more than 200 lbs. I have the stock mirrors adjusted so that I can just see my own lane in the inside edges of the mirror. The outside edges of the mirrors show me objects that are just at the edge of my vision if I look over my shoulder. So, I have a 360 degree view. I've been wondering why some riders complain about the view in those mirrors. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I, too, ride an '03 R1150RT. I'm 5'6" and a bit more than 200 lbs. I have the stock mirrors adjusted so that I can just see my own lane in the inside edges of the mirror. The outside edges of the mirrors show me objects that are just at the edge of my vision if I look over my shoulder. So, I have a 360 degree view. I've been wondering why some riders complain about the view in those mirrors. Maybe I'm just lucky.

That sounds like the correct adjustment for the mirrors. I have mine adjusted so I can just see the outside edge of my torso on the inside edge of the mirror, that way I have about 90% of the mirror free to see behind me. Works for me.

Back