• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

76 R75/7 brand new heads and loud ticking?

As SaltyDog suggests, but in more detail -

1) Grab the connecting rod, and see if it wiggles at all in the "in and out" direction. Note that the "bottom" end of the con rod, riding the crankshaft, is attached with two bolts. There are also two bearing shells between the con rod and the crank. Anything more than one RCH is too much.

2) Grab the connecting rod, hold the piston absolutely still, and wiggle in and out again, this time feeling for play at the top (outer) end of the con rod, at the rod-to-wristpin-to-piston interface. Ditto one RCH.

As SaltyDog suggests, but in more detail -

1) Grab the connecting rod, and see if it wiggles at all in the "in and out" direction. Note that the "bottom" end of the con rod, riding the crankshaft, is attached with two bolts. There are also two bearing shells between the con rod and the crank. Anything more than one RCH is too much.

2) Grab the connecting rod, hold the piston absolutely still, and wiggle in and out again, this time feeling for play at the top (outer) end of the con rod, at the rod-to-wristpin-to-piston interface. Ditto one RCH.

Yeah I just tried that again and it doesn’t budge!

Guess I should add, this engine is really strong and runs great otherwise.

\.

I am stumped!!!

yeah but have you LISTENED to what the right side is trying to tell you ?

A horse whisperer heard nothing that wasn't said

stelth o scope - 1.jpeg

<iframe width="760" height="427" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QjSIdurhSOg" title="Listen to the Flower People" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

btw
if it aint flat broke, dont fluff fix it

Any chance something is contacting the valve cover itself? Maybe some tell tale sign on the back side? You mentioned not hearing it with them removed, just grasping at straws I guess.

Any chance something is contacting the valve cover itself? Maybe some tell tale sign on the back side? You mentioned not hearing it with them removed, just grasping at straws I guess.

the insides of the covers are clean and no signs of anything bumping:)

i also got one of those cheap stethoscopes today and i still cannot pinpoint the noise. gonna keep trying!

Rocker arm end play, perhaps?
When parked for a week or more, my R75/5 makes a ticking noise for a few seconds until the oil reaches the rocker. Maybe you could consider an oil pressure deprivation on one of the noisy side rockers. In the same region, could it be a rocker arm roller bearing going bad?

Rocker arm end play, perhaps?
When parked for a week or more, my R75/5 makes a ticking noise for a few seconds until the oil reaches the rocker. Maybe you could consider an oil pressure deprivation on one of the noisy side rockers. In the same region, could it be a rocker arm roller bearing going bad?

Rocker arms are nice and tight in perfect spec. The needle bearings look like new and there isn’t any play.
Plenty of oil coming through as I ran it with he cover off!

Actually the ticking is louder under load. And worse as it warms up.

I'm even going to switch rockers to other side today to completely rule them out. After that, I just don't know what to do.

Last edited:
When you’ve got everything back together and running, if it still makes noise try advancing the timing a degree or two. When your bike was new, gas was not a problem for its high compression pistons. You have restored compression but now gas is a problem for high compression engines. Under light throttle ignition knock is a soft tapping sound. Hard throttle can produce a noise like a loud rattle. Scary sound. For several reasons, the knock can be on one side only.

When you’ve got everything back together and running, if it still makes noise try advancing the timing a degree or two. When your bike was new, gas was not a problem for its high compression pistons. You have restored compression but now gas is a problem for high compression engines. Under light throttle ignition knock is a soft tapping sound. Hard throttle can produce a noise like a loud rattle. Scary sound. For several reasons, the knock can be on one side only.

salty dawg nose . cc them heads

do some good gas before delving further

I aint a doctor but

<iframe width="817" height="459" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EE5lzc-zaXs" title="Vinegar Joe - Never Met A Dog" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>een></iframe>

Actually, try retarding the timing a degree or two. Also check the timing on both sides individually with a timing light. My /6, when it had points, would have quite divergent timing on each side because the nose of the cam where the advance mechanism mounted had a .005" wobble. To the point that one side would show F in the timing window at full advance and the for the other side the F would be out of the window.

Since it seems that nothing is wrong with the motor mechanically, maybe the noise comes from somewhere else, like the exhaust system.

I remember one day after having everything reassembled, I did a test ride and got a shocking noise and metal banging. Forgot to tighten the screws of the crossover pipe between the headers.

Last night we watched James Bond in Goldfinger and this thread came to mind.
Maybe someone has placed a bomb in there ?
Could happen
Nick

Back