• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

new rider needs safety tips

woody99

I have a friend who has just got his first motorcycle and needs many safety tips anyone have a report that lists the best one s for him? thanks Woody

He will learn many in a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginning Rider’s Course. Contact them to learn about where a rider course is near you.

Email: mailto:msf@msf-usa.org

Phone: (800) 446-9227

Certainly a motorcycling riding/safety course is a must.

Another suggestion would be recommending David Hough’s three books “Proficient Motorcycling,” More Proficient Motorcycling” and “Street Strategies” which have been a read for me before the beginning of each riding season. After 300,000 kms of riding, his advice has keep me accident free.

When a nephew and a later one of my sons took up riding, I bought and gave each their own copies of David Hough’s books to help keep them safe.

Once your friend has been riding for a few years, suggesting an advanced riding course would be advisable.

Your friend can get a rebate on paid training from the MOA Foundation. Details are somewhere on the MOA site…

My recommendation is to work individually with a personal trainer.

Yes training is #1! The next one is to always look around you at all times including your mirrors.

Good set of gear. All the gear all the time. If in HI might seem hot but roadrash is very painful.

Get in a good class or two. Take a beginner class then ride some then take it again or take a different beginner class.

Keep his head on a swivel.

• Good Gear
  • Good training
  • A smallish, easy to manage motorcycle makes the best first bike.

Having a bike that the new rider can flat foot is a good confidence builder.

100%. Watching my wife learn to ride, her issues weren't usually while riding along at speed, but in parking lots, gas stations and other sort of low speed situations. If she couldn't get her feet down, it was pretty difficult for her for a year or so. It takes a bit to get that low speed stuff sorted out and that's where new riders get in trouble.

My recommendation for years was to buy a Suzuki GS500 or Kawasaki EX500. You can drop them on the ground without damaging them. Turn signals and levers are cheap and you can maintain them easily if you'd like to learn.

These days, I'd recommend a Suzuki SV650 as a great, easy to manage starter bike. Same ability to have it flop on the ground with little to no damage. Light weight, low seat height and cheap enough to leave room in a tight budget for gear and training.

100%. Watching my wife learn to ride, her issues weren't usually while riding along at speed, but in parking lots, gas stations and other sort of low speed situations. If she couldn't get her feet down, it was pretty difficult for her for a year or so. It takes a bit to get that low speed stuff sorted out and that's where new riders get in trouble.

My recommendation for years was to buy a Suzuki GS500 or Kawasaki EX500. You can drop them on the ground without damaging them. Turn signals and levers are cheap and you can maintain them easily if you'd like to learn.

These days, I'd recommend a Suzuki SV650 as a great, easy to manage starter bike. Same ability to have it flop on the ground with little to no damage. Light weight, low seat height and cheap enough to leave room in a tight budget for gear and training.

Annie has a 34 inch inseam; her first bike was a factory lowered F650GS thumper. I think it made the learning process much easier for her. Now she mocks me because her R1200GS and F800GS are too tall for me to ride.

Back