• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tragic story in Manitoba................

Had to sign up but worth the read. Tragic indeed and as mentioned , could possibly been prevented. Have come across mud in roadway from ranch/ farm operations but not flattened enough to look like pavement shoulder to shoulder

RIP brother

(worked fine for me, Hz)

Wow, that does suck :mad .

It's not just that we all share the same air and the same joys, but also the same hazards.

Last time that slicker-than-whale-snot happened to me, I was so extremely lucky... girlfriend on the back... a microsecond of WTF, just hold the balance lightly, and we glided thru it...

That is a crying shame. Are farmers/construction companies not obligated to clean the mess they leave on the road?

Yup, tragic loss. But it does remind you that any time you see a change in the surface you are riding on it pays to slow down until you know what it is. In the pic you can see just how bad it was.

That is a crying shame. Are farmers/construction companies not obligated to clean the mess they leave on the road?

We have that problem here in the fall but I have never seen it as bad as the picture in the article. Most of the time the mud does not completely cover the lane.
There's no good way for a farmer to completely remove the mud.
If it's a road contractor they'll usually have a rotary sweeper but that still leaves a thin wet film.
The farmers around here try to get one set of wheels off the hard surface and that usually leaves a clear path for motorcycle.

A friend and myself on our motorcycles hit one of these that was not as long (~30 metres) last year in Northern Alberta. We were lucky and remained upright. We rode on to the next town with an RCMP detachment and reported it. They sent a cruiser to check and then called a grader to scrape the highway. I do like the sign idea as one approach.

I wonder if it was some farm product (like manure) that escaped from a farm vehicle in transit. I’ve come across a lot of muddy farm tire tracks but to have so much of the road covered with mud makes me think it might have something other than mud. :dunno

I wonder if it was some farm product (like manure) that escaped from a farm vehicle in transit. I’ve come across a lot of muddy farm tire tracks but to have so much of the road covered with mud makes me think it might have something other than mud. :dunno

I’ve come across that oozing from slow moving hopper :eek
I quickly made decision to stop for a few and let them turn off and then pick a safer path…see it dried but identifiable more so

Sometimes you’re in the hazard before you identify it, especially wet roads!

Cattle haulers are infamous for putting an inch or so of water on the floor of their trailers and then finding a grade to drive up to empty the lovely slurry they created. Not as dangerous as the mess in the OPs pictures, but risky enough.

I was in arkansas in a gentle curve and the rear end came loose. I chased it with the front and caught it, then it came loose again. Once more I caught it and thinking I had a flat pulled over and stopped. Up ahead was a travel trailer on its side in the ditch. With a busted holding tank. Closer exam of the hiway revealed tiny bits of toilet paper ad faint blue water. Pretty much invisible. Slick is not just mud. It helps to be lucky, very lucky. At next carwash I spent a few bucks.

Rod

I am wondering a bit how one is dead, five others laid theirs down and there has been no comments about the way this group was riding.

Easy to blame the farmer/whoever was responsible for the mess but what about looking at the way this group rode together.

There is another picture here. It's freaking Manitoba during a very late harvest.

Pay attention?/!

Around here sometimes the trucks hauling fish or crab will leave a good slurry of crap on the hills.

I crossed a numbered route yesterday and found it freshly milled (ground). This leaves the corduroy texture and the wiggly steering that some find distressing.
No signs or the usual “Grooved Pavement. Motorcycles Use Caution” signs. No signs at all.
Straight across was no big deal on the bike. Might have been a tricky surprise for someone taking a quick right with the 1-1/2” of asphalt missing onto the corduroy.
OM

A few years ago Montana began posting signs at large road construction sites. The sign advises motorcyclists to take an alternate route. Just a CYA action in my view, and tough advice to follow when the alternate route will take you 80 miles to get to someplace ten miles away.

I am wondering a bit how one is dead, five others laid theirs down and there has been no comments about the way this group was riding.

Easy to blame the farmer/whoever was responsible for the mess but what about looking at the way this group rode together.

There is another picture here. It's freaking Manitoba during a very late harvest.

Pay attention?/!

I can only shake my head seeing folks ride like I used to in tight( relative term) formation. One thing to be trained to do that in exhibition/competition, totally an accident waiting to happen with so many rider skill levels mixed. I was in denial of possible bad things or just falling in when I did it way back in time.

. Did it say they were side by side or just knowing it’s the standard we see regularly?
I actually saw a group of eight on the Million Dollar Highway around Ouray recently and wished them well…. Oh, another coming off Sandia Peak in NM :banghead. Those I got past quickly!

Signs nice but can’t fix it all.

I crossed a numbered route yesterday and found it freshly milled (ground). This leaves the corduroy texture and the wiggly steering that some find distressing.
No signs or the usual “Grooved Pavement. Motorcycles Use Caution” signs. No signs at all.
Straight across was no big deal on the bike. Might have been a tricky surprise for someone taking a quick right with the 1-1/2” of asphalt missing onto the corduroy.
OM

Feels like big block knobbies on a lift bridge grating :eek First time on a baby Honda at 16… Never rode over those the same since! Our grated asphalt has a diamond cut and the corduroy on some projects. All feel weird

Are farmers/construction companies not obligated to clean the mess they leave on the road?

Yes they are. Unfortunately you have to call it in. And then you have to stay on top of it, because we all know how useless overpaid officials are.

Back