• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How to "unfreeze" rear brake on 2011 R1200RT?

sawyner

My bike has been in a dry garage for 13 months. A pre-ride inspection revealed no braking action at the rear. I suspect that the calipers, etc may be frozen in place. Is there a way to check this before disassembling the entire brake? Any easy ways to unfreeze the thing? Thanks.

If it were mine I would try tapping with a steel hammer while someone pushed on the brake.
Maybe try a bleed and make sure the fluid can move too.
Nick

Possibly the pins that the calipers and pads move on are corroded? You can try a brake flush, just to make sure the lines are truly clear and flowing AND "returning" (bleed hole issue?), but it shouldn't be difficult to dismount the caliper and check the pins and clips.

Back