• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Metzeler sidewall lengthy warning label

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
:eek

Was mounting a set of tires and removing a Metzeler Saturday. Saw this sidewall warning and thought about ladders and all the lawsuit induced warnings on so many products.

E1A7061C-75CC-41D5-A1AC-2DBECF431C89.jpeg

If you can’t zoom, sorry…it’s too long to type it out :laugh

I think we're nearing a 'critical-mass' state of being. It's ridiculous. Years ago, when I still smoked cigarettes, I stopped at a quick-mart place and picked up a new lighter. I couldn't get the thing to light. I arrived at my sisters house, now with time to check this new tool out, I was turning it over in my hand when my then 9 year old nephew with Down's Syndrome walked up and held out his hand for the lighter. I handed it to him and in approximately 3/4 of a second he had it lit. Of course, it was "childproof". Complete with a warning label informing one that this device was capable of producing flame, and that fire is hot etc. What a load!

More recently, my girlfriend is recovering from multiple surgeries and is finally home, needing to take her medicines. She didn't have the strength to open the childproof bottles. Fortunately her 10 year old grandson was present. He had no problems opening them.

Where does all this madness stem from? An overly litigious society that views the court system as some kind of lottery that can reward the stupid with lifelong stipends.

I'll not argue with anyone thinking I'm heartless for this, but maybe a certain amount of Darwinism wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Rant over.

"SAFETY WARNING: Maintain recommended pressure and follow owner's manual. Only specially trained person should mount tire. To avoid fatal explosion, never exceed 40 psi to seat bead on a clean, lubricated, undamaged rim. Underinflation/overloading can cause sudden failure. Inspect regularly for damage. It is not recommended the repair of the motorcycle tires. REPLACEMENT TIRES MUST ALWAYS HAVE A LOAD INDEX AND SPEED RATING EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN THOSE FITTED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT."

I guess that about does it for CYA!! :wave

And the dry cleaner’s - WARNING: DO NOT PLACE PLASTIC BAG OVER YOUR HEAD DUE TO POTENTIAL TO OBSTRUCT BREATHING!!!

"SAFETY WARNING: Maintain recommended pressure and follow owner's manual. Only specially trained person should mount tire. To avoid fatal explosion, never exceed 40 psi to seat bead on a clean, lubricated, undamaged rim. Underinflation/overloading can cause sudden failure. Inspect regularly for damage. It is not recommended the repair of the motorcycle tires. REPLACEMENT TIRES MUST ALWAYS HAVE A LOAD INDEX AND SPEED RATING EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN THOSE FITTED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT."

I guess that about does it for CYA!! :wave

See, that’s a lengthy warning to type out! :lol

They should add ambient temperature inflation concerns :bolt

ran across this: " In the old days the owner's manual was 30 pages and explained setting the timing and how to adjust the valves. Now the owner's manual is 400 pages and advises don't drink the battery acid."

I had a sailboat with a sticker on the aluminum mast saying, essentially, don't run into overhead power lines. I had visions of me sailing toward a line crossing the river, running forward to read the sign on the mast to see if it was OK, realizing it wasn't, and trying to get the sails down, motor started, and boat turned around before I hit the power line.

See, that’s a lengthy warning to type out! :lol

They should add ambient temperature inflation concerns :bolt

Ha, they didn't say anything about sticking a finger between the tire bead and the rim during inflation. I just knew that was okay.

After a lifetime - 40 years - in legal, I am no longer surprised by the utter stupidity of many of my fellow Americans.

Warning signs are there not to reduce injury, but to provide a “look stupid, we told you not to use your hair dryer in the tub”. Ts there because some idiot has injured themselves doing exactly that.

Don’t blame the companies. Blame the idiots you see around you.

And a tort system that permits their frivolous cases to glean significant pay outs.

I dunno if this is necessarily true anymore.

Matters still have to rely on factual evidence.

But it’s an attractive red herring for many that haven’t worked in legal. Judges are hard asses and they hate a docket filled with BS cases when there are actual matters at hand.

And a tort system that permits their frivolous cases to glean significant pay outs.

I think the bigger problem are the companies that figure it's less expensive to settle before going to court. IMO, this encourages some to sue, then take whatever the settlement is since it's better than nothing.

After a lifetime - 40 years - in legal, I am no longer surprised by the utter stupidity of many of my fellow Americans.

After 30+ years appraising real estate (mostly commercial - retail, apartments, industrial, office), I get a reminder that I haven't seen everything yet. The reminder usually comes right around the time I get complacent.

While I'm not longer surprised of the stupidity of my fellow citizens of earth, I'm am surprised-from time to time-how stupid some of them appear to be.

I think the bigger problem are the companies that figure it's less expensive to settle before going to court. IMO, this encourages some to sue, then take whatever the settlement is since it's better than nothing.

Actually, costs expand when the plaintiff won’t settle and wants a trial. That will necessitate investment of time and cost to run a doc review - after negotiation around the scope of discovery, including negotiation of search terms, format of production, etc, doc production, and depositions all while negotiation is underway to settle prior to trial.

Defendants are just minding their business and get a complaint filed against them, so settlement is sometimes on the table, but not always. The plaintiff may have deep pockets and wants to go to war without potential for settlement. Which means that the defendant has to go to war, too. I’ve billed for all those services and have generated invoices with 2 commas in the Total.

I’m not a lawyer, but having worked on hundreds of matters, there is no single thing that makes litigation expensive. Every matter is different with different parties, legal questions and datasets.

The best way to avoid litigation is to not get sued, hence the warning labels you see on products. Those labels help keep the price of products lower by reducing the potential for litigation, especially in the consumer space.

If we’d like, I’d be happy to talk about how effective Information Governance can lower the cost and potential for litigation. Thats where I see exposure most often. The problem is less with the courts and more with the parties in my experience. Sometimes, it’s all emotions and there just isn’t anything you can do to make it go away unless you hit a home run on your motion for summary judgement.

It is our tort laws that make this all possible. Some other nations have a more rational approach to tort law, but such reform is unlikely here. Suing is big business.

Back